Cutting Matt

Cutting Matt

Postby stampandmore » October 7th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Hello,
I have had my SB for a bit but have not used it a lot. I used it to cut out petal forms for big paper flowers for a display, but my cutting matt is no longer flat. When I see some videos i notice that some people use like a clear plate under the matt. Is this to keep your matt from curling up? and where can I buy it.
Also, I live in Chicago. Is there anyone in chicago that will be willing to give me a few classes. Thank you.
stampandmore

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Cutting Matt

Postby Gigi » October 7th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Are you talking about the acrylic tables that attach to older machines? Those can be purchased from Silverbulletcutters.com They are easy to attach to the machine and they help keep the mat level going in and out of the the cutting area. (I remember in the early days of the machine using books or boxes to keep my mat as level as possible. I had forgotten the things we had to go through in those early days!) But as far as the curling is concerned, it is important to move your mat and not always run the pinch wheels in the same spot. If you rotate your mat it will help immensely with the curling. Also if you keep your pinch wheels to the outer edges of the mat, that is also a huge help. I hardly ever have curling anymore because I use only the pinch wheels that will run on the outside edges of the mat and I also rotate it. I think you will find that helpful. You can search the forum for other hints on using the mat.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Re: Cutting Matt

Postby stampandmore » October 9th, 2020, 10:58 am

Thank you Gigi. Perhaps that is my issue. I have not rotated the matt at all so I do have a lot of curling/bowing and i guess for this reason, my cut outs are not clean and at times some spots are not cut. Well. I guess i better get a new matt because this one i think will be impossible to get it back to be flat.
stampandmore

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Cutting Mat

Postby Gigi » October 9th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Yes it is a good idea to have a spare good mat, but I would suggest cleaning your mat if you have not done it recently and then try rolling it in reverse. That sometimes will help it lay flatter. You can also lay it under some heavy books or objects for a couple of days and that will often help as well.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General