Print and Cut Question

Re: Print and Cut Question

Postby mmhockeyfan » August 30th, 2020, 3:53 am

Hi Bikeracer,

Thanks. You raise some interesting points. Re: fine tuning, which of the pictures, please? It seemed odd to me that the pink square looks just about perfect, but I couldn’t replicate with an 8.50”x11” sheet of 1” squares. In other words, each of the 48 squares should have looked the same. That’s the mystery I’m trying to solve.

When I said wheels, I meant to say rollers. I’ve cleaned the rollers to make sure there was no adhesive or debris on them. I may switch the out the rollers as a last resort.

Regarding the tables, I think they need to be flat to achieve an accurate and clean cut barring other factors. Can you share details about your setup, please? Do you have a Silver Bullet Pro or Platinum? If SB Pro, do you use the acrylic tables? Does your acrylic table installation look like mine as shown in the pictures?

I’ve ordered replacement rollers and table gussets (I was calling them fins) and I’m hoping one or both solves the mystery.

Any other insights that you have are much appreciated!

Thanks again
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby Bikeracer » August 30th, 2020, 4:38 am

In the pic of the pink card/paper the cut is to the left of the right hand line, not much but it can be tuned out. Might take a few goes one or two thousanths at a time but it can be done.
A bit tedious I know but I had to do it to stop white edges on coloured cut outs.

If you really need to, you can adjust each cut line to fit on the printed line in Scal. I had to do it to get a series of arch cuts actually dead on the edge of some arches I was making for a model viaduct.

I've got a 13" and 18" cutter. I originally bought tables for the 13' cutter but when I got the 18" one they obviously didn't fit, so I built a less flimsy cradle arrangement out of 6mm MDF, the front table is fastened to the base and the cutter sits on the base, it's not actually fastened to it. The rear table just sits on the same base.

No machines were injured in the process.

I was never happy with the acrylic set up, it was brittle and constantly came apart where the sides met the table, I ended up glueing the top to the sides. The top surface was also below the cutting strip so that everytime anything was fed in to cut it hit the cutting strip. I taped several pieces of card to the table until card could be fed in without hitting the cutting strip. Things might have changed now, but I didn't think it was worth what it cost.

I have never found the need to use really high speeds like you use. One of the possibilities is that at that speed the head has to slow down to a stop, then turn ninety degrees and accelerate again. All this I think is controlled by the main board and there is no way to adjust it. I may be way out on this so take it for just a suggestion.

These types of machine were originally made for cutting rolls of vinyl, so I wouldn't worry too much about the tables being flat, they're mainly there for somewhere to place and adjust things before cutting and to stop the mat bowing upwards under the blade holder. ( again just my opinion )

Allan
Bikeracer

Cutter: !3" Silver Bullet

Postby mmhockeyfan » August 30th, 2020, 9:26 am

Hi Bikeracer,

Yes totally agree that I can fine tune the pink square. :) Will give that a whirl after I get the parts.
I think reducing speed is something I will consider as well.

You make a good point about the machine and vinyl, which I believe doesn’t require a mat to cut. At the moment, I don’t cut vinyl so I need a mat and tables. I mention this because some of the older comments in our forum indicate users’ felt their cuts improved after installing the acrylic tables.

Yes only acrylic tables are available for SB Pro machines. I believe the Platinum has new and improved tables. Thanks for sharing details about your setup!
mmhockeyfan

Postby Gigi » August 30th, 2020, 10:34 am

Yes - cuts do improve with the addition of the tables and it keeps the mat level and reduces additional problems. And yes, the Platinum comes with metal trays on the front and back that clamp on and are awesome. It was a great improvement. Yes this style of machine was originally designed to cut vinyl but changes were made to accommodate card stock and other materials and were tested and retested with a variety of materials until the results would surpass expectations.

And the machines were tested with particular mats to continue to give perfect results. That is why when other mats are substituted there "can" be issues - so I may use another name mat for unimportant cutting just because I have them to use up (!), but when doing print and cut or anything that requires the best result possible, I always use an SB mat.

Just adding my two cents worth.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby mmhockeyfan » August 30th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Yep I second you on the SB mats Gigi!
mmhockeyfan

Previous