print and cut keyboard controls for registration marks

print and cut keyboard controls for registration marks

Postby postma02 » May 4th, 2020, 6:04 pm

Hi All, been using the Silver Bullet for a couple of years and am having mixed success with print and cut. Here's my issue: My keyboard becomes dead after loading the page into the machine and I'm not able to fine tune registration marks with the laser. I somehow pressed some buttons on the machine and then it triggered keyboard use but I haven't been able to replicate the steps. Here's my usual process:
1) print the page from pnc menu on screen; load mat and place blade on lower right hand corner of page; press set origin on machine and then press online on machine. There is no action from the machine at this time. (btw, using wysing mode in software menu) Sometimes the laser is on and sometimes it's off.
2) press the next button on software menu to align laser with registration marks; press the arrow keys or shift arrow and there is no response from the machine. I can use the arrows on the machine to move the laser but not able to line up accurately.
I am wondering: what do I do on the machine controls after loading the mat?

SCAL 5.029
Mac Catalina 10.15.4
Note: I have the software "use software speed and pressure" clicked on the menu.

Sure would appreciate some light on this situation - many thanks! TP
postma02

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: print and cut keyboard controls for registration marks

Postby Gigi » May 4th, 2020, 10:32 pm

I don't have a Mac so am never totally sure if what I say will help, but I have questions for now.
Your #1 - You say there is no action from the machine when you click origin and put it online. There should not be any action as all you are doing is setting the origin to start the print and cut. And you will automatically be in the WYSIWYG mode because that is what it defaults to when you are in the "print and cut" screen.

Your #2 - When you press the next button, the carriage and laser should move in the direction of the number 1 registration mark (which should be in the upper left above the image; the #2 registration mark is in the upper right and the #3 is in the lower right). Does the machine move in the direction of the first registration mark? Once it moves there, you should be able to use your arrow keys with shift and control and get it perfectly centered. If the arrow keys don't respond, be sure in the print and cut menu, that no other direction is lit up. Sometimes one of the arrows lights up in the software and my keyboard won't respond, but as soon as I start over with the registration process it is fine. It doesn't happen often, but it does on rare occasion.
You don't want to use the arrows on the machine to align the registration marks. Use the keyboard and be sure that all of your registration marks are printed properly on your paper and that it is on your mat correctly.

The latest version is 5.031 - so be sure to upgrade just in case...

You don't use the machine controls after loading the mat since you are setting the software speed and force in the software. There is no need to use the machine controls. BUT - whenever you are in print and cut mode, the laser light should come on. It should not be intermittent as you stated. If the laser light doesn't come on, obviously there is going to be no way you can align the registration marks. So I am trying to figure out if you have an issue with the laser light or if you are doing something incorrectly that is causing it not to come on. Which is a totally separate issue from the keyboard not responding.

Also be sure you don't have any apps running in the background that would interfere with the software. That used to be a problem with the Mac, but I believe it was resolved a long time ago.

So I have a lot of questions - let me know what you are doing in detail and will see if we can figure it out.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby postma02 » May 4th, 2020, 11:16 pm

thank you for your reply. #2 the carriage does not move when I press the next button. I know that I shouldn't use the buttons on the machine. The keyboard seems dead, but machine buttons work. I can align everything fine is the carriage moves but it doesn't. So something isn't right from the time I load the paper and press the "next" button. To clarify when loading the paper: do I line it up on bottom right corner per usual and press origin? Do I then press the "Online" button on machine and afterwards press "next" in the software program? Or do I line up the paper, press origin and then click "next" in the software?

I did upgrade the to 5.031 and still same issue. I typically have photoshop running as I drag and drop a lot from one to the other but I will close that as well.

I hope I have isolated the problem a bit more for you, thanks.
postma02

Postby postma02 » May 4th, 2020, 11:20 pm

Another question: must I print and then cut right away or can I print the file with the registration marks and go through the other steps later on? In trouble shooting, I have been using the same page with the registration marks without printing each time.
postma02

Postby postma02 » May 4th, 2020, 11:22 pm

Also, the lights on the software do light up green when I'm trying to move the carriage; but going to the previous page doesn't activate/reactivate the process.
postma02

Postby postma02 » May 4th, 2020, 11:31 pm

Have tried shutting all other programs down. Printing and loading paper but there is no laser coming on. Shut the machine off, tried again, same result. The laser isn't coming on. So perhaps its a laser issue?
postma02

Postby Gigi » May 5th, 2020, 8:37 am

It sounds like perhaps you need to replace the laser light. (I have replaced mine because I had a different issue and it is not difficult). You are setting it up correctly. You load the mat and set the origin - it doesnt have to be in the bottom right corner, but I do usually set mine in the area of the third registration mark as it usually goes closer to the first one when I do that. Then when you hit "next" in the software it should move somewhat close to the first registration mark. If the laser light isn't coming on, it can't possibly do a print and cut. Watch the video on here under Broadcasts (it's also on YouTube) for the print and cut to be sure you are doing everything that way - but it sounds like you are.

And you can print the print and cut pages in advance - you just want to be sure that you don't move the image in the file when you open it up again or obviously the cut will not line up. I know that seems obvious, but I've done it when I wasn't thinking... it happens! :)

Please contact Sherri at info@silverbulletcutter.com. Let her know we have talked and what I think and see if she has any different ideas. It's not often that the laser lights malfunction, but they have a lifespan just like everything else. Once you have the light coming on, we can deal with any other issues you might have. With all that you have described, I cannot think what else it could be.

And just so you know - you can edit your initial post so you don't have to create additional posts with questions. You certainly can, but it might be easier if you just edit when the post hasn't been answered.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » May 5th, 2020, 2:07 pm

On my SB the laser light does not come on when I switch the machine on, then I press the origin button and it lights.
It needs turning back on after each machine switch off.

I mainly do print and cut and my procedure is to place the mat and whatever I'm cutting under the pinch rollers and lock them. Make sure laser is on.
Go into offline mode and using the machine arrow keys move the mat back and forth a couple of times to check it's tracking straight.
Then still using the machine arrow keys, move the laser to below and to the right of the bottom registration mark. More or less on the edges of the card or paper being cut.
Press the origin button to zero the X and Y co-ordinates and press the online button.
When you press next in the software screen the carriage will move towards the top left number one registration mark.
Then use the keyboard to finalise the laser position before pressing next again.

Allan
Bikeracer

Cutter: !3" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » May 5th, 2020, 2:43 pm

The problem is that his laser light isn't coming on. It should come on when he is in print and cut mode and then moves to the first registration mark. That is when it comes on - or should.

But an interesting point. I just upgraded the software and I cannot get the shift and control combination to work when doing a print and cut - nothing responds. So perhaps the upgrade has a problem. Anyone else?

My last upgrade was 5.025 and it worked fine then - but not now. Will email Brandon on that point.

Want to be sure his laser light is working before I trouble shoot any further with him. Hoping if he watched the print and cut tutorial that he might see something he has missed that has not been described so far....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby postma02 » May 5th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Bikeracer, followed your instructions but the carriage is not moving after pressing the next button. I have watched the pnc tutorial along with the Scrappy Dew webinar (several times) I am familiar with print and cut and feel very comfortable with it - it's the carriage not moving that drives me a bit bonkers. I ordered a new laser from the store and read how to install it, seems very simple. Afterwards, I turned the machine off; unplugged and replugged the laser to the motherboard. The laser now turns off and on BUT the carriage is still not responding. Will be interesting to hear what Brandon has to say. Bikeracer, your specific instructions were very helpful - thanks.

Well, I restarted my machine and was planning on cutting a simple file only to find that the computer and cutter are giving each other the silent treatment. Test connection was a fail. Will keep you posted.. Got it working; new usb cord; machine reset; took cutter off of cutter list and re=installed. Seemed to do the trick.

Tried the pnc and it's working wonderfully! I think the restart/reset; taking machine offline and bringing it online again did the trick. I probably gummed up some settings while trouble shooting. Thanks Gigi.

Teresa
postma02

Postby Gigi » May 5th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Awesome. So glad to hear. Thanks for letting us know.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General