Foil Master

Foil Master

Postby mmhockeyfan » January 31st, 2020, 9:21 am

HI All,
So i'm thinking of adding a Foil Master to my foiling repertoire and wanted to get your thoughts on the Foil Master and laser printers.
If you have a Foil Master, do you still use it? Are Foil Masters still available? The Website seems indicate something new is coming? Maybe I misread it?
What type of monochrome laser printer works best? I'm planning on cutting card stock of at least 80# as research I've done (includes reading all the posts on the forum!) shows that may be the heaviest I can go. I'm hearing 65# as well.
Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Re: Foil Master

Postby Gigi » January 31st, 2020, 9:56 am

I don't know if Sherri has any Foilmasters remaining. No nothing new is coming. She is phasing them out because the demand is not there in the US like in the UK.

As for printers, I use a Brother monochrome laser printer. Have had it for years and it keeps on trucking! :) It's an HL 2280. What is important in foiling is to change the properties - pick "thicker paper" and print as high as the DPI will go. You want the printer to lay down as much ink as possible. I use manual feed so have printed on thicker paper including watercolor paper. But obviously a lower weight will feed a little easier, but I still manual feel all media for foiling - personal choice and less error!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby mmhockeyfan » January 31st, 2020, 10:03 am

Thank you!
mmhockeyfan

Postby Gigi » January 31st, 2020, 10:11 am

Of course!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mmhockeyfan » January 31st, 2020, 3:56 pm

My Foil Master and some foils are on the way! Thermo-Web released this Transfer Gel Duo that allows foiling without heat and a die cutter or with a laminator. With the gel you can foil stencils and stamps! Can't wait to try this out with the Foil Master.
mmhockeyfan

Postby Gigi » January 31st, 2020, 4:47 pm

Yes I am aware of the new ThermoWeb products and eager to try that as well. Just remember with the Foilmaster, it has no cool option. You can only use heat (as I recall) with the FoilMaster - it doesn't have a cool option.

I love Thermoweb products. They are excellent. Have fun!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General