SB spitting mat out

SB spitting mat out

Postby Bikeracer » December 12th, 2019, 1:34 pm

I've returned to print and cut after a few years not doing anything with my SB.

I'm using the trial version of Scal5 at the moment and I've got as far as aligning the laser over the top LH registration mark, pressed next on the screen and the carriage shot to the right and the mat was spit out.

Is there something I've missed in the settings ?

It now keeps going into pause mode, I've held the middle button down on the direction panel on the machine and turned it on holding the button down. Then it says reset and then it goes to the normal display and I let go of the button. There is a faint sort of white noise sound for a while then that stops.

Try to do a print and cut but the same thing happens again.

Allan
Bikeracer

Cutter: !3" Silver Bullet

Re: SB spitting mat out

Postby Gigi » December 12th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Hi Allan -

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can print and cut in the trial version. You definitely cannot "cut" because the software will slash through anything you actually try to cut while in trial mode.

All of that aside, did you calibrate your machine before you started the print and cut? Without doing that you will never be able to get correctly align the registration marks. The print and cut in SCAL is so accurate it is amazing. I am still in awe of how easy and spot on it is.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Bikeracer » December 12th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Gigi...

I have the same problem in Scal3 as well.
I'm going to reinstall the software next on the mac because I've upgraded the operating system as much as I can and perhaps somethings changed.
I'll also try it in windows7 because apart from some widows updates that hit me when I inadvertantly switched the wifi connection on nothing has changed.

I did manage a new calibration check but that's all.

The machine has sat idle for a good five years so whether that has anything to do with it I do not know.

Just checked, there is no software for the SB it's just the manuals on the USB stick.
Don't even know if I can get it checked anywhere in the UK because Thyme graphics have disappeared.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » December 12th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Okay tried it in windows, still not working.

Went to the cut window and just pressed cut, the carriage moves and does a side to side cut.
Go to print and cut, as soon as I try to move it to a registration mark it all goes dead with pause showing.

I'm beginning to think there could be a trip to the tip with it in the not to distant future and a new Cameo 4 arriving.

I know you are trying to help but with the lack of any service facilities in the UK but it's just a boat anchor at the moment.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 12th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Allan -

As you said, the machine has set idle for several years and these machines are meant to be used. They are workhorses and do not do well just sitting idle. It could be that the motherboard needs to be replaced which you can purchase from silverbulletcutters.com and install. The good thing about these machines is that there is little to go wrong - either the motherboard or the LED screen and buttons. That's it! I have never had to replace a motherboard (directions online) but have replaced the buttons on the panel and it wasn't as difficult as I imagined it to be! And replacing a part is usually much cheaper than purchasing a new machine.

My guess, since you have said that you have tried with SCAL 3 as well is that you do need to replace the MB. You can reach out to Sherri (sherri@silverbulletcutters.com) to be sure that the motherboard is what you need to replace, but keep in mind that if you do go that route, you will have a machine that works as good as new and can do all that you hope and more.

It doesn't have to be a boat anchor - there are replacement parts for a reason and they are not needed often, but available when they are. Our customers are scattered all over the world and we provide support wherever they are.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » December 12th, 2019, 8:23 pm

One thing I want to point out, on the “mat spitting out”, one thing that often occurs with people new to the machines or coming back after an absence in using, when you take the machine “offline” to set the blade or laser placement where you want it, you need to remember to set the “orientation” or “starting point” by pressing the “target or bullseye” button (not sure of its “official” name) to set that as the new starting point, if you forget and don’t, and then put the cutter back online, it will often do this. It is something easily forgotten, especially when it has been a while since you have used it and something that is second nature to someone who is regularly using their machine and thus not thought of as a cause for it spitting out the mat. yes, I am speaking from many, many experiences The good news, I have done it enough over the years I usually at least immediately know my mistake.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » December 12th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Thanks Melanie for coming back to his post and making that point. There were so many other things going on that I lost sight of that one. Thank you!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 13th, 2019, 12:47 am

Thanks for the replies.
I have now got in touch with Sherri the problem, it's unfortunate that the sole UK supplier is no longer there.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 13th, 2019, 1:00 am

I understand your concern, but parts were sourced from the same place and at times were shipped from the US to England - so other than it taking a bit more time, you are getting the same quality product and exceptional service and support. That will not change. Sherri knows this machine inside and out and will be sure that you are up and running. Thank you for your patience and understanding. We will be here to help if you need additional assistance.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 13th, 2019, 1:04 am

Thanks Gigi it's good to know there is still support out there.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 13th, 2019, 2:57 am

Oh absolutely. You will not have to worry about that.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 13th, 2019, 3:40 am

After much pressing of the reset button offline and online it seems that the SB no longer goes to pause when I try to print and cut, so hopefully that issue has gone.
However after I get the laser over the first registration mark in print and cut and press next for the second mark the carriage moves to the right but the mat is shoved back out past the rollers.This happens regardless of where I place the mat.

So I'm still not there yet! Wondering if its because I am using wyswyg and perhaps I need an origin setting ? Don't know how to set origin though.

When I press the reset button while offline do I press it before I press the offline button or afterwards?

Sorry for being a pain but I don't know what to do next.

Allan
Last edited by Bikeracer on December 13th, 2019, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikeracer

Postby MeFlick » December 13th, 2019, 9:59 am

First, it has been a long time since I have done a print and cut with my Silver Bullet so I don't remember about rather you use WYSWYG or an origin setting and I am about to walk out the door for several hours away so it will be a while before I can get to my workroom and attempt to refresh my own memory on that unfortunately. Hopefully Gigi will be on before I can get back and answer your question as she is far more an expert then I am, especially with SCAL.

I typically do all my cutting setting the origin rather than using WYSWYG but that is because I don't usually need "alignment" of fold lines, etc. that is why WYSWYG would be needed for. Like I said, I don't recall on a print and cut. When I am going to set the blade or laser alignment on my cutter, I take the cutter off line, move the blade/laser to the position I ned it in, press the orientation button (what I think you are calling the reset button) to set the X/Y location to this new position (you should see it show the X/Y both at ")" there on the LCD screen I BELIEVE. THEN you immediately put the cutter back on line.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Bikeracer » December 13th, 2019, 10:24 am

Thanks, it seems that whatever I try that as soon as I hit next for the second registration mark the carriage moves to the right and pushes the mat out and somehow senses when the mat has just moved off the pinch rollers and stops. Sometimes it pushes the mat out when I try for the first reg. mark.

I've tried resetting the origin like you said in several different places but always get the same result.

After a lot of fiddling about with mat positions I managed to get a rectangle printed from a shape in the library.......unfortunately the rectangle is at approx 30 degrees from the horizontal and goes off the mat on the RH side.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 13th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Once again Melanie got me to thinking. With all of the other issues, I assumed that your problem with print and cut could be related to the motherboard because you still have the slashing and you are using a registered version of SCAL (SCAL 3). It is only the trial versions that slash a cutting area, and you had additional issues.

But just to be sure, print and cut automatically goes into WYSIWYG mode. But as I recall (it's been a while since I have used SCAL 3) when you set the origin, you have to use the laser light and be sure that it is out of the margins of the #3 registration mark. In other words, the machine will only to as far as you have set the laser (not a problem in later versions) so you want to be slightly to the right and beneath the #3 registration mark in order for the laser to have the room to manipulate from mark to mark. If that doesn't make sense I can try to do some screen shots to show what I mean. Once you set the origin outside of the #3 mark with the laser (NOT the blade) then you can see if it will actually do a print and cut.

I would also be happy to try your file to be sure it's not the file if you are still having issues. LMK if that helps. That doesn't solve the cutting issues, but lets see what happens. If you clump all of the issues together it still seems like the motherboard to me, but worth a try to break them apart and see if we can resolve anything. Thanks for trying!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 13th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Thanks Gigi,

I'll try that shortly, but I have a feeling it could be the motherboard like you said because of the way it drew the rectangle shape from the library at about a 30 degree angle from horizontal/vertical.

I've emailed Sherri so I'll have a better idea hopefully when I get a reply.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 13th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Ok great. Thanks Allan for keeping up posted and continuing to communicate. I so want there to be an easier fix, but thinking for the same reasons that it is the motherboard.

You will hear from Sherri - and I sent her an email last night giving her a heads up so she is looking for your email. Thank you.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 13th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Gigi,

You have an email.

Allan
Bikeracer

Postby Gigi » December 13th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Yep - got it and responded........ hang in there and let me know what happens if you try the print and cut set up. If you arent setting the origin outside of that area, it could wreak havoc with the alignment. So worth a try..........

Dont give up yet - there is always an answer. Some are easier to get to than others!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Bikeracer » December 14th, 2019, 7:54 am

Reset the origin as you suggested, tried print and cut, mat is pushed out and carriage goes to where it goes when you first switch on, machine goes into pause again and the origin is showing zero on both X and Y. It's as if it will not save an origin setting.

Tried it again using the original Scal 3.4 on windows 7 original computer partition in the same iMac that everything worked on when I bought it.......still failed.

I bought this machine in Feb 2013 and used it less than ten months until this week.
I know approx when I last used it because my wife died in Feb 2014 and I hadn't used it since sometime in 2013.
I paid the equivelant of 974 dollars (731 GBP) plus other stuff.

It now seems that I need .......
New motherboard....$189
New software with cross platform licence......$72
Paypal 3.75% charge GBP to dollars............$10
Total........$271 plus any postage.
UK VAT customs duty of 20% on the motherboard ÂŁ28 GBP

So my total cost would be at least ÂŁ232 GBP and no guarantee everything would work.

So I can buy a new Cameo 4 for just ÂŁ60 GBP more and get a three year warranty and a UK service facility. I know it might not be as good but at least it will work.

I'm well aware the the Silver Bullet is a really good machine when it works, but to spend 974 dollars for less than ten months use and then have an unusable machine has been a total waste of money to me.

Sorry for having wasted your time trying to help.

Allan
Bikeracer

Next

Return to General