24" Silver Bullet Professional: Plywood or wood veneer?

24" Silver Bullet Professional: Plywood or wood veneer?

Postby TerryMulhern » June 5th, 2019, 2:45 am

Hello guys,

I've a 24" Silver Bullet Professional and need some advice. Any experience with plywood or wood veneer? I tried to make something similar to this box - https://youtu.be/jGhSv9xjdhQ but the balsa wood I used is rather hard and I couldn't manage to bend it. Any ideas how to make anything like that? Appreciate any help.

Thanks!
TerryMulhern

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Professional

Re: 24" Silver Bullet Professional: Plywood or wood veneer?

Postby MeFlick » June 5th, 2019, 7:24 am

Welcome to the SB User Forum. The youtube video you linked to is for creating that box with a LASER. What can be cut and made with a laser and CNC machines does not mean that you can use a drag blade cutter like the SB and others to create the same thing with it. There are two main factors to know and understand with a drag blade cutter. First, you are limited by media you can cut with a drag blade cutter by the thickness of the media. Second, you are also limited by the DENSITY of the media. Thickness and density are two different things. both plywood (even thinner plywood) would definitely be too dense to cut with a drag blade cutter. You can purchase very thin wood veneers, but I don't think you can find any that you could use to create a box like this as most veneers are pretty thin. Unfortunately, not every project that we find online is meant to be cut with a drag blade cutter. I believe this is one of them. I know this is not the answer that you want. I say this after more than 10 years of using drag-blade cutters plus several years in woodworking. I would not even think to try and use my SB for this.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » June 5th, 2019, 10:38 am

That has to be one of the most thorough answers I have ever read. Thanks Melanie. Your love of woodworking and knowledge is such an asset when it comes to issues like this!

Now.... if you continue looking on the internet, you will see that there are ways to "hack" this design and make it work. I have seen people do amazing things with chipboard (even card stock) layered to create a "thicker" product and you could even put a wood veneer over that. Will it give you the finished look and sturdiness of the box in the video? No - but it will look great if that is what you want. There are many structures in the "Masterpieces" section of this forum to give you some ideas.

These are amazing machines and I am often in awe of what people can create with them - have fun with it and we are eager to see what you create!

Welcome!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby TerryMulhern » June 6th, 2019, 4:48 am

Thanks for your answers. It's just an obsessive idea in my mind and I can't help it. Will check the "Masterpieces" section as well.
Thank you!
TerryMulhern

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Professional

Postby MeFlick » June 6th, 2019, 6:35 am

I throughly understand, we all get obsessive idea and as Gigi noted, these are amazing machines and people use them all the time to create one beautiful items including boxes. You just have to know what materials you can successfully use with a drag blade cutter and figure out how to work with those materials to create with. In crafting boxes, you can do that as Gigi said by using material you can cut with your machine and layering it until it is thick enough to work for your needs. There was one project in particular I remember and will see if I can find a link to. I was always amazed at what they did with that project. If I can find it, I will post a link back to it.

Found two from Esther. This first one was the one I was remembering. It uses layered cardboard and paper. It is stunning: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6371 and then there is this one by Esther as well: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6372 - she used foam core and papers with it.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to General