Need your help choosing a suitable media for my product...

Need your help choosing a suitable media for my product...

Postby CrossHairSB » May 10th, 2019, 9:37 am

Hi Lovely people!

I make this particular product for a musical device https://www.facebook.com/Happy-Kemper-Skins-217867594982601/
It's basically a printed skin/mask which improves the look of it. For years I've used the Silhouette Cameo...AND... for years I have struggled with it being inaccurate, which led me to purchasing the Silver Bullet :) Anyways! Maybe you could steer me in the right direction for a media which looks excellent when printed on. And, adheres to metal BUT without any adhesive. Through one of the Silver Bullet webinars they discussed how well Tyvex looks printed on. I bought a roll of it hoping it would look great and sort of adhere to metal just enough to work. Well, it doesn't look good at all when printed on. It sort of looks like you can see the fibers in the paper...I must have bought the wrong stuff, but it IS TYVEX.
Thanks for any of your help in this ...I really want to make a good product for my musician friends.
Ken
CrossHairSB

Cutter: silver bullet pro

Re: Need your help choosing a suitable media for my product.

Postby Gigi » May 10th, 2019, 11:13 am

My first thought if you want a material that will adhere to metal without adhesive would be vinyl - and there is printable vinyl. Have you considered using that? What have you used before. It seems like that might be the best bet, but I have no experience making skins. With vinyl it would be easy to remove if need be and is also forgiving when applying. There is also printable mylar that might also be a good option. I assume you have a wide format printer given the size of the skins you are making as you can get both printable mylar and vinyl on rolls.

Good luck. Please let us know what works for you. Your FB page is very interesting.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby CrossHairSB » May 10th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Oh Thank you very much gigi,
I use a Canon pro 10 printer...I think it's a wide format (not sure). I always wanted to use Vinyl but would have to buy another printer to do so...unless there's inkjet printable vinyl out there. But I will have to get some vinyl & mylar to see if they adhere to metal. Excellent suggestions thank you .
Ken
CrossHairSB

Postby CrossHairSB » May 10th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Or, anyone have experience in the various inkjet printable films out there eg; mylar, polyproethlene,?
IF I had an inkjet printable substrate that was thick enough to hold it's shape...this may work as well.
Best,
Ken
CrossHairSB

Postby Gigi » May 10th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Ken - there is a lot of inkjet printable vinyl available. I was amazed at how much when I googled it. Before investing in rolls of it (if your printer can handle the rolls, you can get smaller packages of inkjet vinyl and play with it on a smaller surface to see if you like the results.

Your printer will accept anything as wide as 13" which gives you options - 8 1/2 x 11 sheets or 12" wide rolls. Here are a few reliable sites

https://www.hhsignsupply.com/productcar ... l-c667.htm

http://shop.uscutter.com/search?w=printable%20vinyl

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted. We love to see projects as they develop and learn what others are doing.

And you are welcome!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General