I am new to this forum

I am new to this forum

Postby Mona » March 16th, 2019, 1:20 pm

I am new to this forum as I am debating on buying a Silver Bullet and would appreciate any feedback.
I am presently using a Zing with the MAKE THE CUT software. My arthritis is limiting my use of the Zing. My first question is does the Bullet accept the Make the cut software. I'm thinking of all the files I have made with MAKE THE CUT. Will I be able to use them with the Bullet. Thank you. Mona
Mona

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Re: I am new to this forum

Postby Gigi » March 16th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Welcome. The Silver Bullet drivers are most compatible with SCAL and the drivers have been upgraded and designed to work with SCAL. That being said, we have many users who use MTC and like it. You can convert your files to svg and then import them into SCAL without an issue. And Sherri will tell you the same thing. And perhaps at some time you might want to convert over as most of us do see a difference in the performance of the machine between the two programs, but that should not hinder you from being able to cut or do what you want to do - the drivers are just not upgraded to either of the Silver Bullet machines.

I think you will find that you love the Silver Bullet. But I recommend that you have a conversation with Sherri at Silver Bullet Cutters so you feel totally comfortable with your decision. I do know if you decide to get a machine, you wont regret it!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Mona » March 16th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Thanks Gigi for your prompt response. I have been watching some videos. Can you tell me what blade was used in the following video? reg or detail blade? Video: Published May 1 2015. "Silver Bullet Cutters Live - Laser Like Cutting with a Blade"
Mona

Postby Gigi » March 16th, 2019, 7:54 pm

There are many different things that were cut in that video and I have no idea which in particular you are asking about. They did say that the vary was cut with a regular 45 degree blade and my guess is that the three wise men were as well depending on the material as they said they have cut it out of vinyl, cardstock and other materials.

I have cut super thin shapes (like a tail on Mickey Mouse or whiskers) with the 45 degree regular blade - it just depends on the material you are cutting and the quality of the file. If you want to be more specific I can try to find out. I will try to reach Sherri in the meantime (she is in MN and I am in CA so I cant just run over and ask her!!)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Mona » March 16th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Thank you. I am satisfied with your response.
Mona

Postby Gigi » March 16th, 2019, 8:31 pm

HI Mona - I am glad but want to give you more info :)

I just caught Sherri because I knew she had people in her studio this weekend for cutting fun (I am so jealous but won't go there!!) :)

All of the materials including the Tyvek were cut with the regular 45 degree blade. Hope that helps. There is a purpose for the detailed blade and we have users who prefer to use that blade for everything, but I am a fan of the regular 45 degree and I rarely switch it out unless I am cutting something like chipboard where I need the 60 degree plus.

I was going to say something else but already forgot it! :banghead: :hide: :banghead:

Oh.....I have a ton of cards on my blog if you want to see some different things that the cutter can do (as do many others here). I have not updated it in a while but have started posting again and have a lot of cards and recipes (it's a lot of things) to share - so feel free to look around there too.

If you have questions just let us know. You can reach me directly at gigi@silverbulletcutters.com if you have any issues you would rather not post. But I love when people post because we all learn more that way.

Thank you and let us know if you think of other things . We all want you to be happy with whatever decision you make, no matter what.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » March 17th, 2019, 8:46 am

Hi Mona and welcome to the forum. I use MTC with my SB. You would have to use the KNK Max (not Max Air) as the selection in the Cut with because Andy never added a profile for the SB in MTC but it works just fine. But that said, MTC has not been updated in years (as I am sure you know), so if I was getting a new cutter thst does not technically support MTC, but uses and supports with SCAL, I would take that into consideration and try to learn to use the newer program. The developer of SCAL is keeping it updated and adding new features. I do have SCAL as well. As Gigi already noted, it is fairly simple to save a MTC file to an SVG file from MTC and then import that SVG into SCAL. You would only need to do that as you needed the file(s) though.

Now, all that said, you note thst you have a KNK Zing and that your arthritis is making it difficult to use your Zing. What is it that you are finding difficult with the Zing and your arthritis? What is it about the SB thst makes you think you would not have issues with your arthritis and the SB? I ask because I don’t want to see you layout money for a new machine and possibly software only to find you have the same or similar issues and problems in trying to use it. Most all blade drag cutters work fairly similarly so I am just trying to figure out what your issues are to make sure we know how best to advise you from that side of things. If you give us a little more information on your issues, we can help you decide if the SB would be any different for you.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Mona » March 17th, 2019, 9:23 am

I have a hard time pushing the levers up and down to secure the mat. I know that I will have to use Sure Cuts A Lot. That's the program I used many years ago before I got MTC. I just want to make sure that if I need to use a file made with MTC that I can. You say I can. Also, I don't want to buy a machine that won't let me create my own files or use the ones already created. Silver Bullet seems to be the right one. Any suggestions on your part will be appreciated. I don't have a business. I just like to create beautiful cards. Thanks for your input.
Mona

Postby Gigi » March 17th, 2019, 9:58 am

You can totally create beautiful cards (browse the masterpiece section here if you havent already or use some of my other suggestions) to see an array of cards) - I think we all have been lax about adding to that section and the photo gallery - I know I have for sure because I have focused on my blog, pinterest, and other things. But I think you will see an array of examples that will reassure you. I agree with Melanie - none of us want to see you put money into a machine that will sit and gather dust. These machines are workhorses and will last a very long time but they are made to be used! :)

Interesting that you mentioned the lever on the other machine. Sherri and I talked about that last night. I have disability issues that would make it next to impossible for me to use the lever. I know it works for a lot of people and that's great - but it wouldn't for me and didn't for you. So I totally understand what you are saying. I cannot imagine you will find anything on our machines that will cause you difficulty. The pinch wheels are very easy to use and will be a nice change for you.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General