We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill

We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill

Postby mmhockeyfan » January 19th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Hi,
Did you guys see the WRMK Foil Quill at 2019 Creativation?!! It's a hot foil pen for electronic die cutters. Four adaptors for various flavors of machines and three pens with assorted tips. Gonna take a chance and purchase and hope it'll fit my SB. The pen is soooo cool looking.
:D
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Re: We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill

Postby Gigi » January 19th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Well one of the problems would be that there is no open USB port to plug it into - at least not on the new SB 24" unless you convert the serial port to USB. I don't know if that would interfere with the machine or not. Yes it's cool, but it's almost quicker to print out the design on a laser printer and then foil it - at least that is how it seems. But my primary concern would be connecting it to the machine. I will check with Sherri and see if she has concerns as I would have to see a machine damaged! Just being cautious.......

Oops - just watched a different video and you can plug it in anywhere you would plug in a USB device - but Sherri is pretty sure it will not fit into our carriage holder due to the design of our blade holders. You can certainly try, however!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby mmhockeyfan » January 19th, 2019, 6:19 pm

One can plug the USB port into an adaptor and plug the whole thing to a wall outlet. This provides the heat. The pen is placed in one of four adaptors to fit where one would normally place a blade in the electronic die machine.
This is a good alternative for those who don't have or wish to purchase a laser printer. I'm not immediately sensing an issue and I would love to hear Sherri's take because I would not want to hurt my SB.
mmhockeyfan

Postby mmhockeyfan » January 19th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Thanks for that info Gigi! Hopefully, wherever I end up buying it will have a good return policy if it definitely does not fit.
mmhockeyfan

Postby Gigi » January 19th, 2019, 11:41 pm

Good luck! Please let us know.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » March 12th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Since you were the first one to ask about it, I thought I would let you know that I have tested it and it does work well in our machines. For me the "C" adapter was the one that works the best. You can also use the pen tool with it - I just liked the fit of the adapter.

I have successfully foiled at pressures of 10 and 15 and am using a speed of 100. I have been playing with it all weekend.
The WRMK foil AND the Crafters Companion (Gemini Foil Press) both work beautifully with it. The Thermoweb Deco Foils and Sherri's foil do not work with it as they are toner reactive foils.

Have fun playing with it!

Will post some pics later.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mmhockeyfan » March 12th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Hi Gigi,
Thanks for the reply! I just received my Foil Quill today and I noticed the "c" fits as well. I'll be testing it out tomorrow and thank you so much for sharing your experience and settings.
Yes I think any heat reactive foil will work. No Deco foil or laminating foils will work. Very excited about this tool!
mmhockeyfan

Postby mmhockeyfan » March 12th, 2019, 9:48 pm

BTW, it looks like the "a" will fit as well and I'll know for sure if its "c", "a", or both tomorrow.
mmhockeyfan

Postby Gigi » March 12th, 2019, 10:46 pm

I think it depends on the machine you have. Melanie is also testing it and she likes D. But with the Silver Bullet Platinum, I could get the A to fit, but it was REALLY tight. The D went in with little effort and was easy to tighten. So I think there are more options with the regular Silver Bullet and fewer with the Platinum - and it may vary from machine to machine. What is nice is that there ARE options, and the pen tool works as well.

Have fun playing.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » March 13th, 2019, 9:20 am

Gigi wrote:I think it depends on the machine you have. Melanie is also testing it and she likes D. But with the Silver Bullet Platinum, I could get the A to fit, but it was REALLY tight. The D went in with little effort and was easy to tighten. So I think there are more options with the regular Silver Bullet and fewer with the Platinum - and it may vary from machine to machine. What is nice is that there ARE options, and the pen tool works as well.

Have fun playing.

Gigi - My apologies for relying on my memory last night instead of going into check on the machine. I messed up when I told you I had used the D in the original Silver Bullet. That is WRONG. I actually used the C same as you did. None of the others will fit. The D is too tight. The A is too short and the B just does't fit. My mistake as I said. you would think I would know better then to rely on my memory! :oops: :hide: :banghead:

With that said, it works fine in my machine. I used a speed of 100 and a pressure of 15-20 with the standard pen. I hope to play some more later today and will share more results but wanted to correct my misstatement before it was out there too much and you were having to answer to my screwup!

I am using a portable power bank that I bought previously at Costco (package of two) to power it with.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » March 13th, 2019, 9:34 am

No apology necessary!! I can't rely on my memory either!! I am constantly checking and re-checking myself - the "joys" of getting older... :banghead:

Hope you get the chance to play more today.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » March 13th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Just an FYI for those of you who are getting these, (And I know there are quite a few) just wanted to share that if you have a Target store in your area, check their crafting area. They have some Washi tape on clearance for pretty cheap. I think I figure out it was like .04 cents a yard. I bought some larger boxes of 8 rolls normally $11.99 it said for $3.58. They also had larger and smaller rolls singularly and they were on clearance for .88 cents a roll. 10 yards on a roll or a little more. Figured it doesn't matter what it looks like if you are going to use for taping on the mat. (Although I think that I might prefer the painter's tape. The Washi tape that came with it has torn the card stock I have tested on several times for being too sticky.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » March 13th, 2019, 2:19 pm

I have had no trouble with the washi tape, but agree with you that there are less expensive/cheaper alternatives and I have a ton of painters tape and quick release tape. :) No need to invest in "their" washi tape for sure!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mmhockeyfan » March 14th, 2019, 10:24 pm

OMG! Work is getting in the way of me playing with this thing all night. I made only two attempts tonight with more to come during the weekend. Anyways, I foiled the letter "A" with foil I received with my Go Press and Foil using the following settings:

"C" adaptor
Fine tip
F=10
V=105
65 # Neenah Astrobright black card stock

I foiled the second design (I should have reduced the size of the design :banghead:) using the "A" adaptor and the bold tip. All other settings remained the same. I'm going to test further to see if I can in fact use "A" and "C" interchangeably.

Very happy with the results!

I heated both tips with a 5000 mAh power bank I purchased from Staples for $5 ( :D ). I used the tape that came with the kit with no issues and I'm going to use painter's tape next time because I have loads of it.

The only little quibble I have is that the foil leaves a residue on the mat, but with a little Dawn and one of those sponges with a scrubby on the back, I removed most of it.

I can't wait for the weekend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmhockeyfan

Postby Gigi » March 14th, 2019, 11:23 pm

I love the "A" you did.

I think the bold tip might require more pressure than the other two tips - basing that on my trial with an outline design - not yours. It did fine with a fill, but thinking that might help the bold tip but I have not tried it. I have no problem getting good results with the fine or regular tip.

Have fun playing!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mmhockeyfan » March 16th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Thanks! The "A" was my fave too.
I did some more playing tonight!

The bold tip does require more pressure as you pointed out Gigi. For the square, I used the following settings:

C adaptor
Bold tip
F=25
V=85
65# Astrobright black
Go Press and Foil Gold

To get the the thick lines of the square, I drew three squares .025" apart with the largest square at .50", aligned them vertically and horizontally, and selected all three to foil. The bold definitely works best on thick lines.

The flower and medallion were foiled with the fine tip. My settings were:

C adaptor
Fine tip
F=10
V=105
110# Paper Source white
Go Press and Foil Gold

Gotta few more things to try this weekend!
mmhockeyfan

Postby Gigi » March 16th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Looks nice.

For filling the square, you know you can do a hatch fill in SCAL and get a filled bold image easier - right? The cross hatch is fun to do but it takes longer depending on the size of the item you are using - just as if you were engraving. It has to go over all of the lines, but it looks great.

Glad you are enjoying it. I want to get back to cutting and see what I can do to enhance some of the things I am doing.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mmhockeyfan » March 17th, 2019, 1:05 am

I was going to attempt the hatch fill and got scared because I thought my machine would go nuts. I'll give it a whirl! Thanks
mmhockeyfan

Postby Gigi » March 17th, 2019, 2:01 am

No your machine can handle that with no problem. It's just like engraving but with the foil tip. You and your machine can do it!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mmhockeyfan » March 17th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Yup you were right Gigi. Nothing to be afraid of. The results look really nice!

Settings:
C adaptor
Bold tip
f=25
s=85
WRMK Foil in Ultra Violet **AC Moore has the foil on sale for $9.99 and you may use a coupon :) **
Neenah Astrobright Lunar Blue 65#

Line fill settings:
spacing =.01"
cross hatch=6
angle=0
mmhockeyfan

Next

Return to General