Help Layering vinyl.

Help Layering vinyl.

Postby LynnB » June 26th, 2011, 3:50 pm

I'm attaching two rather lousy pictures of my second vinyl project. So far I have done just single colors. If I had wanted to put a black shadow layer behind the red name, what is the best way to do this. Put the black layer on the cup. Then the red? Or put the red layer on the black vinyl while it is still on the backing? Any help or suggestions would be helpful

Thanks,

Lynn
girls weekend cup portrait.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LynnB

Re: Help Layering vinyl.

Postby Angel135612 » June 26th, 2011, 4:12 pm

It is much easier to layer your vinyl if you work on a flat surface. (at least I think it is). I think if you put your top layer on your transfer tape, then lay that on your bottom layer, so you can get them lined up, then you can put both layers on the tumbler at the same time.

Also, if you use registration marks when cutting, it makes it easier to line up both layers when putting one on top of the other. You can keep your design covered with the backing, and just line up the registration marks, until they are right,then remove the backing and the design should fall right on top of the other.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Thyme » June 26th, 2011, 4:40 pm

I agree about putting the two final layers together before putting on the tumbler
Thyme

Postby Tyler » June 26th, 2011, 7:13 pm

I use registration marks on my vinyl - very simple to do! I agree with Diane and Dawn about assembling your vinyl project on a flat surface first!

If it is needed, we can show how to do layered vinyl in a webinar using registration marks.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby pigtailpat » June 26th, 2011, 7:26 pm

The process Angel describes is the way Rach taught me on my big project last year. I call it building the image in reverse into the transfer tape. You mirror the image first and cut it reversed, so when you are building it into the transfer tape, it is actually placed mirror down - so that from the other side of the tape - it will be in the right order (lordy I am not explaining this well I know..sorry). So as Angel said you start with the top layer - think of a person's face with eyes, nose and mouth and then - well the head. The eyes will be the "top" layer and the first item to be placed into the transfer tape. The next would be the nose, place that in it's proper place after the eyes. Then the mouth, place that into the transfer tape. Finally, you place the head into the transfer tape. Then once you have "built" your entire image into the tape, you are ready to take this tape with the built image and apply it to your final surface. That is the method that rach taught me. I hope this helps. I don't know about the rest of it with registration marks etc. I have not tackled calibration yet, and plan to do so soon.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Angel135612 » June 26th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Here is a You Tube video on how to layer vinyl using registration marks.. Casey was/is on the MTC forum, and this is one of his videos. He is known as the Vinyl Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxtL7x5pO2A
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby YorkieMom » June 26th, 2011, 11:36 pm

Thanks for the link Diane. That's a great video. Gonna have to try this!
Susan
~The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears~
YorkieMom

Postby JeannetteC » June 27th, 2011, 7:51 am

I also found that if I use my mat to keep the bottom layer in place it helps, especially with small cuts like for the tumblers. When I was trying to do this with the bottom layer just loose on the table, the static would sometimes cause it to jump and adher to the top before I was ready for it. Not fun, let me tell ya when that happens!
JeannetteC

Postby LisaH » June 27th, 2011, 8:15 am

Jeannette...been there done that!!

I also will take each layer and tape them down (with their backing) to my table in order, then I don't have the static jump around Jeannette was talking about, and it makes sure you get them in the right order (side by side) if there are more than 1 or 2 layers. It also helps to have the registration marks as well!!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby LynnB » June 27th, 2011, 1:13 pm

Great suggestions everyone. Thank you. I will check out Casey's video, but I wouldn't mind seeing it done in a webinar also. Sometimes I have to see things done a couple of different ways or by different people before it registers in the brain. I'm not really understanding how I can line up registration marks but still keep the backing on. I think I am a very visual learner.

Thanks again

Lynn
LynnB

Return to General