End cuts not meeting up

End cuts not meeting up

Postby reactiveaz » December 6th, 2018, 7:01 pm

I've been using my 24" SB for the last 6 years, same cut files, same program SCAL3.062, same MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5. All of the sudden I have one particular file where randomly, some ends are not meeting up. It doesn't happen in the same place twice--just here and there and everywhere. I've checked the blade, cleaned the housing, and they are fine. No change in the vinyl brand I use. I can't for the life of me figure out where the problem is. I don't know if it is a SB issue or an SCAL issue. Any thoughts?

I've attached a photo. Don't worry about the smudges--I am cutting on clear vinyl and since you wouldn't be able to see the uglies, I rubbed it with a dry erase marker before I added arrows to point out the problems.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Michele
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reactiveaz

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: End cuts not meeting up

Postby Gigi » December 6th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Hard to know if it is a SCAL problem or not since we have moved on to SCAL 4 and 5 for the most part - but let's assume it's not SCAL as I don't think it is.

Have you don't a machine reset? That will often fix erratic problems. Have you double checked the overcut to be sure it is set correctly? You said you have checked the blade but have you changed out the blade? If the other two things don't help I would change the blade too as sometimes there is a nick that you cannot see. Is your mat clean and smooth?

Those are my first thoughts since I don't have the file to actually check it. A file can get corrupted,which would explain why you are only have trouble with this one file - now that I think about it - if everything else is cutting perfectly it could well be the file. If you would like me to check it out, feel free to send it to me or upload it here.

Are you running the latest version of the SCAL 3 that you have?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby reactiveaz » December 7th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Hi Gigi,
How do I do a machine reset? I'm hoping the machine reset will solve the problem.
I've actually found a couple other files where it is happening also. No mat as I'm cutting vinyl off the roll. I haven't changed the overcut/offset at all since I first started cutting these files years ago and since it's happening just recently, I don't think that's it (but just in case I've been using 0.30mm offset and a .05mm overcut. I changed the blade and did a test cut of just a row of 1/4" circles from the SCAL software (not a pre-saved file) and the problem is still showing up.

Progress: I updated to the max on SCAL3 (3.075) and that mostly seems to have solved the problem of not connecting, but I still am seeing little "tails" past the end of the where start/end should match. Should I adjust my offset/overcut? Suggestions on what they should be?

Thanks for the suggestions!
Michele
reactiveaz

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » December 7th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Hi Michelle -

First of all, to do a machine reset (you can search for how to do it on here), with your machine off, hold down the origin button and turn on the machine. Keep holding it until you see the LED screen read that is is resetting (I think that is what it says - it's been a while) - then you can lift your finger off the origin and let it finish.

I actually think your problem is your overcut number. Assuming you are using the 45 degree blade, your overcut should always be set at 1.0 for the 45 and 60 degree blades. I set my offset at .25, but I know others do .30 but your overcut is the issue. I believe if you change it to 1.0 you will get the closure that you need. I am pretty sure that will solve your problem. Let me know.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General