Settings for Stampin' Up card stock

Settings for Stampin' Up card stock

Postby IndelibleImpressions » December 6th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Can anyone recommend appropriate settings to cut SU card stock? I have tried over and over (and over and over) and the blade keeps tearing it. I've tried various settings without much luck (once it a while it's ok). The files I am cutting are not intricate at all. I'm making mostly various shaped favor boxes.
Any help is most appreciated.
Donna
IndelibleImpressions

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Re: Settings for Stampin' Up card stock

Postby Gigi » December 6th, 2018, 6:36 pm

I dont have any SU card stock to try to cut but if the blade is tearing it that is happening for a number of reasons:
1 - your blade is nicked
2 - your blade is sticking out too far from the blade holder
3 - your pressure (force) is set too high
4 - the card stock is not brayered well onto the mat so it is lifting
5 - your mat is warped so you are not getting a clean cut

Those are the main reasons and my guess is that it is one of the first three. Are you doing a test cut on the machine? That is the best way to get an accurate force and not waste a lot of card stock.

Which blade are you using? Is it a heavier card stock? If so you might want to use the 60 degree blade rather than the 45.

First, put in a new blade (same kind that you have been using so you can know what works and what doesn't) and see what it takes to get a good test cut. Be sure to use the setting tool so your blade is at the right height above the material. Also it should not be sticking out of the blade holder more than 1 mm.

LMK if any of these things work. Try one at a time so you will know what to check if this happens in the future. And even though it takes a little work, finding the best pressure by using the test cut is the best way to get the most accurate force for your machine and cutting material.

Also, if the card stock is textured, reverse it on the mat (textured side down) and try to cut it that way - we recommend that with the Bazzill card stock as it is easier to get cleaner cuts on that card stock that way.

Good luck - let us know how you are doing.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby maviza » March 9th, 2019, 11:26 am

I'm interested to know if you had any luck with your SU paper.
maviza

Cutter: prospective buyer

Postby Gigi » March 9th, 2019, 11:53 am

Have you tried the things suggested above?? I know we have people cutting it successfully, it is just a card stock I have never used and there are so many out there to choose from! :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby mmhockeyfan » March 9th, 2019, 11:56 am

Hi, I’m not familiar with StampinUp! paper but I’ll offer some tips based on paper weights.
Please be aware these are rough guides since papers can differ depending on manufacturer.

I use Neenah Astrobright papers and Worldwin papers
Smooth 65# 45 degree blade f=45 cut 2x v=800
Smooth 90# 60 degree blade f=50 cut 2x v=800
Smooth 100# 60 degree blade f=50-55 cut 2x v=800

BTW, I typically cut all my designs 2X at a lower force to get a great cut.

This is how I test cut my paper to find optimal force and velocity. For example, for 100 lb. paper, I'll cut a 1" square with a force of 50 and speed of 800. If successful, I'll lower the force to 40 and cut the 1" square 2X. If that works, I record it in my book for reference. I can't tell you how much time and paper test cutting has saved me.

Good luck!
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Return to General