Refreshing old topic, Multi cut problem

Refreshing old topic, Multi cut problem

Postby suemcnenly » September 12th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Hi there.

I see that there was a thread regarding multi cut not lining up perfectly on thick material. Thought I'd start a new one so people wouldn't stop reading 1/2 way down thread;) Mine is doing exactly the same thing. I am cutting thin matboard. My pinch wheels cannot be the issue (as suggested in the other post) as they look fine and I have cut the same design from paper, using multicut, and it works perfectly. Yesterday I got it to work on the matboard by doing one cut, stopping then doing another cut, repeat...essentially doing a manual multicut. The cuts lined up perfectly. Today even that is not working. I've also tried using all of the pinch wheels, only the ones on the mat, and only the ones off the mat. I've done many projects in the past with paper, even glitter paper, and they have worked perfectly....it's only this thicker material. Any ideas???
suemcnenly

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Refreshing old topic, Multi cut problem

Postby MeFlick » September 13th, 2018, 11:15 am

You say “ thin” mat board but how “thin” is it? Also, even though it is “thin,” mat board is a very dense media to try to cut with a drag blade cutter. I do not recall anyone ever having much success with mat board. Dense media is also rough on the blade and will dull it much more quickly.

Usually, when multicut is not lining up, it’s because the mat is shifting in some way. Often because the user has too much pressure and/or blade exposure which can cause the blade to be digging in too deep into the medium. This is especially true when the media is dense Iike mat board. Also, you need the pinch wheels on the mat at all times. That is what holds the mat properly in place as it feds through the machine. If they are not, you will get skewing and your cuts will not line up for sure. I would check the blade, make sure the blade and holder are clear of any debris as well. You didn’t mention what speed you are using, I would also slow that down in order to give the blade time to go through the media besides decreasing the pressure, and the blade depth. If none of that works, then it may be a media you may not be able to cut through completely.

(Edited to fix glaring typos from typing on a tiny screen yesterday (but I probably still missed some!) :oops: )
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Return to General