Cutting perfect circles

Cutting perfect circles

Postby pollycruiser » July 6th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Hello. I am cutting 10 mil Nomex, which is a paper/plastic kind of composite. I need to cut perfect circles, but am having difficulty getting consistency on size and roundness. I am out anywhere from 10-30 mils. I have tried a 60 regular, and 60 detail. Can anyone possibly give me a suggestion for where they would start with force and speed? Also, is 1mm good for the blade to protrude from the holder? Thank you for any suggestions!
pollycruiser

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: Cutting perfect circles

Postby Gigi » July 6th, 2018, 7:16 pm

I am not familiar with Nomex specifically - perhaps someone else on here is. And yes, 1 mm is about standard for your blade to be sticking out (review the classroom details) but may need more depending on the thickness of your material.Since 10 mil is pretty thin, you should be fine just brayering it well to the mat.

Is your blade digging into the mat? You might be able to cut it with the 45 degree blade (use the offset and overcut for the 60 degree blade listed below). If your blade is sticking out too far, it could be cutting into the mat and throwing off your circles.

Are the pinch wheels clean so that there is no skewing of the mat? Are you using the correct offset/overcut? For the standard 60 degree blade, your offset should be .25 mm and your overcut should be 1.00

For the 60 degree plus (cutting circles there is really no need for the 60 degree plus) but your offset should be .6 mm and your overcut should be 1.2 - for future reference

Did you use the test cut to determine the proper pressure? Start there and do try the 45 degree blade. I am amazed at just how much I can cut with the 45 degree blade.

Also remember, since you are cutting a product that is part plastic, your blade will wear down faster because of the heat generated by the plastic - so watch for that as well.

Let us know how you are doing and what if anything was helpful.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pollycruiser » July 9th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Thank you for answering! I am going to try again with your suggestions, and make sure I clean the pinch wheels. I don't think I have had much problem with digging in to the mat, but I will look again. I did use more force with this material, so maybe. I will also try the 45 degree blade and see if it helps. Will let you know :)
pollycruiser

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby pigtailpat » July 9th, 2018, 3:28 pm

I dunno if this helps you or not, but I recently cut a template I needed for quilting out of a fed ex envie (I'm cheap) with a 45 degree blade. I just set SCAL to cut 2 times and I was good. I also cut DBK plastic with the same blade, except since it was plastic and slightly thicker, I set SCAL to go around 3 times. A 45 degree blade can do alot. When I can do it, I actually prefer a 45 degree blade these days over a 60.
Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Gigi » July 9th, 2018, 4:33 pm

I so agree, Pat. I think most of us have a favorite blade and mine is the 45 degree as well. I use it for almost everything. I love it! :) But others love the 60 degree and that is fine too - whatever anyone is most comfortable with and seems to have the best results! :)
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General