mod podge on thin cardboard

mod podge on thin cardboard

Postby pigtailpat » July 4th, 2018, 9:05 am

Hello all:

I successfully cut my needed template out of fed ex envie. It's thin enough to cut what I needed. This particular template uses the negative spaces created by the cut (rather than using the positive cut out), so I can simply insert a crayola marker and trace it onto fabric.

However, the board is flexible, and I have to use the template throughout this monster king size project. I'm wondering if I apply mod podge to the card board, will that stiffen it up? Cutting additional layers for this doesn't make much sense, as all I need in the inner negative which is fine for getting a marker inside. I could always cut another I suppose.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this?

I'm waiting for rob at scrappy dew to see if a particular topic is covered in the classroom on 5 (ie the embroidery import) before upgrading to scal 5. So this job was done with scal 4.

My beautiful cat performed incredibly. It did take a couple of tries to get sizing right for the space needed. I'm still math impaired, which is not good for a quilter.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: mod podge on thin cardboard

Postby MeFlick » July 5th, 2018, 10:06 am

Hi Pat. Its been a long time since I did Modge Podge but if you have some on hand already, take some of your scraps left from your cutting and apply a little and see what happens. If you don't have any Modge Podge, I think I do so let me know and I can give it a try for you. However, that said - I would think it was just as easy and less time, and more economical to just cut a new template as you deemed it necessary. With the Modge Podge, besides the added expense of purchasing (unless you have some sitting around - but then you still are using it - so still could be deemed an added expense), you would need to wait for it to dry for example. Plus, I would wonder if you might get some slight distortion of the media since you would be "wetting" it with the Modge Podge. Just some thoughts that popped into my head initially when doing a quick "think" about it. I think if I was doing it, I would just cut additional templates.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Re: mod podge on thin cardboard

Postby pigtailpat » July 6th, 2018, 5:08 am

Thanks for the feedback. I do have some mod podge on hand. Good thoughts about distortion, which I didn't think about. I might do some experiments and see what happens. I could always cut again if the original template doesn't hold up.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Return to General