using digital scrapbook paper

using digital scrapbook paper

Postby sewin44 » April 2nd, 2018, 9:52 pm

I am wanting to print and cut some arrows as stickers for my planner. I used some arrows from sure cuts a lot library, and now I want to get my pretty paper (the paper came in jpeg file) to print inside the arrow shapes, and then cut them out on the silver bullet. Could someone point me to where I could learn how to do this? Thank you!
sewin44

Cutter: 15 silver bullet

Re: using digital scrapbook paper

Postby MeFlick » April 3rd, 2018, 7:50 am

Quick answer assuming you are somewhat familiar with SCAL, You need to go to the Properties Panel and go the the "Fill and Stroke Panel" there - under the Fill Section click on the drop down menu and select Pattern and then click on the color box to the right to open the window where a pattern can be selected - there two tabs should be seen across the top - My Patterns and Load Patterns - you can put patterns you download and wish to use in the My Patterns section for use over and over or you can use the Load Pattern to Load a pattern for use in that file when you don't want to save it under the My Patterns section. Then there are different options/selections you can use to modify how the pattern is shown in the shape.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby sewin44 » April 4th, 2018, 8:18 am

Thanks! Got it to work! I didn't realize how many options were over there under the fill and stroke....
If scrappy dew talked about it in the course I took, I've forgotten.
I want to add words to the stickers, and print and cut, but when I went to preview, the text showed up as cut lines. Could you also tell me how to do this? Thank you.
sewin44

Cutter: 15 silver bullet

Postby MendyRap » April 4th, 2018, 8:56 am

A lot of time just to save time, I wil print out the sheet then just cut the shapes. That way I don’t have to mess with print and cut.
MendyRap

Postby MeFlick » April 4th, 2018, 9:12 am

In order to do that, you will need to do a "print and cut." If you have never done a "print and cut" before - you will need to calibrate your cutter first for doing a "print and cut." If you haven't calibrated it, see the Learning Center to understand how to do that. Once you have it calibrated properly for doing a "print and cut" you can then move on. If you don't calibrate, you will never get a good print and cut.

In SCAL, you have to assign to each layer what you want to occur with that layer. This is the "Cut Line Type" menu found under the Style Panel which can be found on the Properties Panel (the wrench icon.) I think the options are "cut," "draw (for inserting a pen),' "Print & Cut Cut," - for a print and cut for layers to be cut; "Print & Cut Print" for a print and cut layer to be printed only." So if you have a layer that you want to only print and not cut, you would need to assign that layer to a "Print & Cut Print".
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » April 4th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Thanks Melanie for filling in for me. I am traveling so not on here a lot for the next week.

Just a quick note - fonts will always show up as cut files because fonts are vectors. You can do as Melanie said, or you can just be sure to close the text layer. I cannot tell you now many times I go to cut something out with text and forget to close that layer. I am always amazed at how tiny the SB will cut the text, but it's usually NOT what I wanted it to do. User error!!

Enjoy making your stickers - there are so many fun things to do with this machine and the software.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » April 4th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Thanks Gigi. I hope you are enjoying your trip. I started to post about simply closing the eye for that layer but since I don't use SCAL regularly I wasn't positive it worked that way as well (I knew that was what I would do in MTC) or if you had to do the assigning the "Print Cut Print" to the layer. Glad it can work that way in SCAL too.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » April 4th, 2018, 5:06 pm

No you gave a great thorough answer, Melanie - thank you. Just had a minute in between shows to add a quick comment!!

We are having a great trip - thank you. Four Broadway plays in five days - crazy. One down - one tonight and then Thur and Fri night!! We are seeing the 911 Memorial tomorrow and spent several hours wandering around Central Park today. Totally breathtaking and amazing. I love the crazy energy in the city. And we may even see a little snow Fri morning or Saturday before we leave to go home. It's been cold for this southern CA girl, but fun.

Thanks again, Melanie, for holding down the fort here!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General