Glitter Cardstock?

Glitter Cardstock?

Postby fimacq » July 26th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Hi All,
I currently own a Silhouette Cameo but my business has grown so much I am looking to upgrade to a better machine. The main thing that I cut is 300gsm glitter cardstock so I would love some feedback on how well the Silver Bullet cuts glitter cardstock. I find the silhouette is just too temperamental and will somedays cut wonderfully and other days not at all (even with no change in settings/card/blades/etc) so looking for a more reliable machine!
fimacq

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: Glitter Cardstock?

Postby Gigi » July 27th, 2017, 12:22 am

Cutting glittered card stock is hard on the blades of the best machine. Is your card stock the kind that has the glitter embedded and feels smooth, or is it rough with the glitter sitting on the top. We do not recommend cutting that kind of card stock because the metal can chip a blade and can fly off and get in the machine. That does not mean that people are not successfully cutting glittered card stock - but you have to know the risks.

You should always cut it with the glittered side face down on the mat. That alleviates the chances of it coming loose and getting in the machine. You will wear the blades down quickly cutting glitter - it is hard on them and there is no way around that. But the Silver Bullet is a great machine and is a work horse. You just have to know and understand what you are doing. It is much sturdier than a Cameo. Don't get me wrong - that is a great machine, but the Silver Bullet is a top of the line electronic cutter and is made to last a very long time.

Hope that helps. When I want glittered card stock, I will either use the smooth glittered cardstock, or apply double sided adhesive to card stock, cut out my shape, remove the adhesive liner, and apply ultrafine glitter to the cut out shape. It may be an extra step, but it keeps the machine in perfect shape. Just giving you another option....
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby fimacq » July 27th, 2017, 4:27 am

Thanks for your quick reply!

I use Kaisercraft glitter cardstock and Im pretty sure its the one that just sits on top - it is smooth to touch (ie. coated) but I can peel the whole layer of glitter paper glued on top of the card if I peel at the corners (does that make sense?). I totally understand the risks about snapping a blade but am happy to cut the risks by cutting it upside down. I guess I more-so just want to know if this machine can successfully cut glittered cardstock. At the moment I am making my cuts on the silhouette and then have to finish with a razor blade hand cutting small points throughout my design that didnt cut all the way through - is this an issue I will also have with the Silver Bullet?
fimacq

Postby Gigi » July 27th, 2017, 7:08 am

I have a lot of glitter paper but Kaisercraft isn't a brand that I have - darn it! I am a bit confused as you say it is smooth to the touch but that it sits on top. To me that is contradictory but maybe someone else who is cutting glittered can answer. I will be out of town today or I would check and see if I could find some to double check. If it is smooth to the touch it's not a problem to the blade. And I understand that you accept the risks - I would just talk to Sherri before purchasing so you are both on the same page> Can you cut it successfully? Yes and she will tell you the same thing. Hopefully one of the people cutting a lot of glittered card stock will see this post and respond. As I think I said, I have cut it without an issue - I just don't make a habit of it! :)

If you want to be without doubt, when you talk to Sherri, send her some samples of the exact card stock and they will cut it and show you.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby fimacq » July 27th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Ok will do thanks - Im also in Australia so will need to buy from a supplier here.

I have another question im hoping you can help me with too please? Obviously since I currently use Silhouette, all my designs are made in their program. Am I going to be able to export them as svg files and use them immediately in the silver bullet design program or will i have to start from scratch and redesign everything in the SB program?

fimacq

Postby jobab » July 27th, 2017, 8:07 pm

Hi

I have sent you an email with a link to a converter for your studio files and I will see if I can get some of the Kaiser glitter card to test cut
jobab

Cutter: Silver Bullet,Silhouette Cameo,cougar

Postby Gigi » July 27th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Thank you Jo for your help.

In the meantime, yes you can export the files to svg and then import straight into SCAL - no problem.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby fimacq » July 28th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Fantastic, thank you!
fimacq

Return to General