Starting out Questions

Starting out Questions

Postby SamFDel » February 23rd, 2017, 1:09 pm

Hey All,
At my job (I am a graphic designer working on business proposals) we just recently got the SB and are excited to use it! However, my team and I don't have experience with the machine itself(though I have had experience with the Cricut and Silhouette for personal projects) and I want to some time testing things out, before we run full force into using for work. I ran into some questions that I thought maybe I could get some thoughts on from anyone who has some answers.

Cutting generic starburst shape from SCAL 4: The first thing I ran into was the regular blade with the relative setting recommendations from ThatsScrapInc.com, I noticed that I had to set the blade to a higher force, as well as the blade to a higher depth than what was recommended. (For reference I am using DCWV textured double sided card stock in this example). At the settings that were recommended, I couldn't get the blade to cut through the paper(v=700,f=110, blade depth=3). So I went higher on the force and depth, and lowered the velocity (v=465, f=199, blade depth=5) and that worked, but snagged the paper a bit.

I then decided to try out the detail blade (which I don't know much about, see questions below). with the same settings, that one worked perfect. It cut through the paper and had a precise cut.

However, that got me to thinking about the Detail Blade - what is the purpose of the detail blade vs the regular blade? Is there a benefit to one vs the other? Based on the name, I would assume it is to do fine details (which would explain the precise cut above) but I don't want to wear it out if it shouldn't be used for a regular cut.

Any recommendations on basic cuts like the one detailed above would be great. I love having the machine, but want to make sure I understand how to use it.

Thanks in advance!
SamFDel

Cutter: Silver Bullet

Re: Starting out Questions

Postby Gigi » February 23rd, 2017, 2:48 pm

First of all, I would not recommend that you use textured double sided card stock while you are learning. I would suggest a light or medium weight card stock so you can get the feel for force and speed. Have you been through the learning center in detail? There are also videos on You Tube explaining the blades in detail.

There are many users who prefer to use the detail blade for all of their cutting. There are just as many using the regular blade for detailed cuts with great success. A lot of it is user comfort level. The detail blade is for just what it sounds - cutting finer detail and I do use it when I am cutting heavier weight stock and cannot get clean cuts with my regular blade.

When you say your card stock is textured, is it glittered or corrugated or ?? What is the texture? That is an awfully high force to be using for double sided cardstock. For instance, I can cut double sided (non textured) card stock at 95 with a regular blade and click set at 1. Your blade may be too high off the card stock. And again, what is the texture of the card stock?

If your paper is snagging, you may be dragging the blade, or you may have accidentally chipped it which is easy to do when you are learning. To save expensive card stock AND your blades, please practice on a lighter weight card stock while you are learning. It will help you have success and get a better, more comfortable feel for the machine.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » February 23rd, 2017, 4:30 pm

As Gigi says that force is very very high. I never use a cutting force of over 170 or 180 at the max, after that it is multiple passes.
A force of 199 should be cutting mountboard, not just cardstock
Thyme

Postby SamFDel » February 23rd, 2017, 4:59 pm

Thanks for getting back so fast!

It is a super light texture, sort of cross hatched pattern.

I thought that would be too high for card stock, but the lower force wasn't working. I did just try lowering the blade and that definitely helped, so thank you.
SamFDel

Cutter: Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » February 23rd, 2017, 5:32 pm

Be sure you are following the guidelines in the learning center and taking the time to get a grasp of the basics. Use the setting tool to get the right height for the blade too.

I would still recommend using lightweight inexpensive card stock to get a good feel for the machine before venturing into anything "different". It will make it easier on you in the long run.

Be sure to also use the setting tool to get the proper blade height. Good luck - practice will get you the results you want!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General