Cutting Gasket Material

Cutting Gasket Material

Postby highaltitude » October 8th, 2016, 3:54 pm

I cut many gaskets on my Silver Bullet machine. Something is causing the gaskets to come out stretched. It is a paper style rubber impregnated material. I sometimes have great success and cut 6 in a row without issues. Other times I can barely get one that matches the aluminum spacer it is matched to. I am trying to track down whether it is the rollers, the material stretching or my drawing. When they cut, the first 1/3 of the gasket matches the holes just fine, everything else is stretched out and \the gasket not useable. I can go back to the drawing and "nudge" the holes but doesn't seem to fix it. Also almost every time on the second pass of cutting the rollers do a very quick skip, I am thinking this skip is contributing the cut to not line up with the original cut. Also cant seem to do more than 1 gasket in a project. If I have 2x on the screen, the second never works right. Anyone know if another clamp roller assembly could be added just for more down pressure on the board? Seriously thinking of selling and buying a Glowforge Laser cutter. I can post pics of my setup if it helps.
"What you get, when you dont get what you want...is experience"
highaltitude

Cutter: silver bullet 13" Pro

Re: Cutting Gasket Material

Postby Gigi » October 8th, 2016, 4:23 pm

I am having trouble envisioning this. Maybe someone else who is familiar with the material might understand it better, but pictures would certainly help me.

Is your mat clean with sticky Renu on there? Wondering if the material is moving. Are your pinch wheels running over the material? I would think with that material you would not want the pinch wheels on the material as that could certainly cause it to stretch and might also cause the jumping you are talking about. Seems to me that if you have been cutting them successfully for some time, that something has changed to cause issues now. Can you narrow down what might have changed?

You can eliminate the drawing being the problem by cutting it out of a lightweight card stock and see if you get a clean cut - then you would know it's not the design.

Are your pinch wheels clean so they are firmly grabbing the grit shaft. Are they positioned over the grit shaft (under the white rectangle). Is your white cutting strip in place? Which blade are you using? Is it in good shape? (just trying to rule out everything....) Without knowing exactly what you are doing (set up) it's hard to know. But I still think if you can think back to how things were when you had success and what might have changed between then and now - that might be helpful.

Also be sure your mat is not warped. I don't believe I have ever cut a rubber impregnated paper, so am not sure I have a good idea of what material would be similar.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General