Tutorial how to make box with cutout side images.

Tutorial how to make box with cutout side images.

Postby dianebeckman » September 14th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Hello,
Is there any tutorial on how to make a simple box with a doily, lattice pattern, flowers and more cut out on the sides? I see them online for purchase. I would like to create my own. Any design I put to have cut out cuts out the entire shape leaving a huge hole. How do I make the image stay somewhat intact? I have too many hours trying to figure this out and have not found anything online to teach me the proper way to set up the design.

Thank You,
Diane
dianebeckman

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Tutorial how to make box with cutout side images.

Postby MeFlick » September 14th, 2016, 6:29 pm

I don't know of a specific tutorial. It's going to depend upon the "design" you are trying to use. In general, you want the design to be like a "stencil" style cut. look for free stencil designs and put them on the box and try it and see how it works. Look at the ones that you see on line that you like and really "look" at the design - break it down - and see how they are doing it. Sometimes you need to "remove" some cut lines so that it doesn't cut out everything. If you have a particular design that you want to try, if you will post it on here - one of us can look at it and try to "show" you how to create what you are asking about.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Re: Tutorial how to make box with cutout side images.

Postby Gigi » September 14th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Good grief - I thought I answered this. I must have done it in my head and not written it out! :(

And Melanie is so right - a stencil type design would be perfect for that. Also be sure that the fold lines of your box are scored or dashed lines so you don't cut through them when cutting out the box. There are a lot of free box svg files out there and we even had a couple here on the forum during challenges we did several year ago... just basic boxes but that would give you a good start.

Good luck!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Return to General