Cutting perfect circles

Cutting perfect circles

Postby PaperCottonLove » September 14th, 2016, 1:25 am

I'm wondering if it is possible to cut a perfectly perfect circle with the Silver Bullet? My circle cuts are always slightly wobbly and misshapen. What is the main cause of imperfect circle cuts?
Thanks
PaperCottonLove

Cutter: Silver Bullet 15"

Re: Cutting perfect circles

Postby MeFlick » September 14th, 2016, 5:58 am

Yes, it should be possible to cut a perfectly perfect circle with the SB. You have to start with a perfectly perfect circle in the software. (Not all circles are created equal.) Additional things that can cause imperfect circles are too much blade and/or force when cutting. Too much blade and/or force can cause it to drag the material and/or dig into the mat causing movement. Wrong offset for the blade being used. (Note: too many people, especially when new to the cutters, try to "play" with the offset number. That is not a number to "play" with - it is not a number to be changed around - there is usually a set number based on the actual blade type being used. It has to do with the the cut of the blade its self and its center point.) When people change their offset numbers, it causes various things to go wrong with a cut - lines not meeting up, points not being points, etc. Make sure your media is well adhered to the mat, it its not and lifts even slightly that you might not realize it is - it can cause wonky circles. To make sure you are getting good adhesion to the mat, you can brayer it down. If in doubt, you can tape down media with something like blue painter's tape. Those are what comes to mind off the top of my head but its early so I am probably forgetting some.

Edited to add an all important NOT
Last edited by MeFlick on September 14th, 2016, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Re: Cutting perfect circles

Postby Gigi » September 14th, 2016, 8:50 am

Great answer, Melanie - thank you.

I was actually trying something different yesterday and cut out circles from the library - just 1" but they were perfect and always are as long as my offset and overcut are correct.

This has been posted on the forum many times, but here it is again - I rely on it all the time!

There are set figures for the blade offsets
0.25mm for the standard blades
0.6mm for the detail blades
0.7mm for the 60plus blade

Overcut -

1.00 for regular blades
1.20 for 60 degree plus

0 for pen tool and other tools…
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi