Kiss cut lines and full cut lines needed in one document

Kiss cut lines and full cut lines needed in one document

Postby PaperCottonLove » July 16th, 2016, 1:17 am

How do I 'kiss cut' some lines, and cut right through others, in the one document? I'm using print and cut to make sticker sheets. Thanks!
PaperCottonLove

Cutter: Silver Bullet 15"

Re: Kiss cut lines and full cut lines needed in one document

Postby MeFlick » July 16th, 2016, 6:34 am

You cannot do it with one setting or cutting pass. I assume you are using SCAL to cut with. You would need to use the layer feature and put the "kiss cut" lines on one layer and the full cut lines on another layer. Then adjust your cutter blade depth and/or cutting pressure as needed for each layer as the "kiss cut" lines would need less blade depth and/or pressure then the full cut lines to cut completely through.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby PaperCottonLove » July 16th, 2016, 9:42 am

Thanks so much for your help. Yes I'm using SCAL 4. So I'm not sure if I understand the layers feature. On my document, each of my images to be printed and kiss cut has a cut layer (print + cut cut line) and a print layer. Then I have rectangles drawn around groups of the images which is where I need the cut to go all the way through (to create separate sticker sheets). For these I've tried setting both 'cut' and 'print + cut cut', but neither seemed to make a difference with my attempts at cutting. I can see these as separate layers in the layers panel, but other than this I'm not sure how else to put lines on separate layers. Is there another way to do it? I'm also confused about how my registration marks will line up for all of these lines if I am cutting them separately? Will both lots of lines be cut through the print + cut feature? I've tried a few different ways to cut the lines separately and I just end up with the registration all off!
PaperCottonLove

Postby Gigi » July 16th, 2016, 10:16 am

Great explanation and advice , Melanie - thank you.

Without seeing your file, I am going to assume that you can do the print and cut around the images ok but it's the larger rectangles that are causing you trouble?? Offhand I would be sure that your print images are marked print +cut print and the lines around the images (the kiss cut) are marked print+cut cut. I would close those layers (close the eye) and you will be left with the rectangles on your screen. Group those and just select "cut". When you start the print and cut, be sure that outer rectangle layer is closed, then do the print and kiss cut part. With the cutting set at WYSIWYG and don't move the paper, just increase the force so you cut through, turn off the other two layers so only your rectangles are showing and cut. As long as you stay in WYSIWYG you should be fine.

You need to have a really good understanding of the machine before attempting print and cut as it can be a bit to handle initially. Hope that makes sense.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby PaperCottonLove » July 16th, 2016, 11:15 pm

Thanks Gigi. Yes, the print + cut around the images is working fine and these cuts are all where they should be. I'm still having trouble with the rectangles around the outside. Following your instructions, they are not cutting in the correct spot. I'm using WYSIWYG, and not moving the mat or paper after the kiss cut part finishes. Does it matter what mat size setting I use, or where my sheet of printed paper (A4) is positioned on my mat? The rectangles are cutting way off where they should be. At the moment I'm using a custom size mat and I place my paper anywhere on it. I've been using my machine to cut basic shapes from cardstock on and off for 4 years. Until now I hadn't needed to worry about layers or registration. Thanks so much for your help. I will continue experimenting now!
PaperCottonLove

Postby Gigi » July 17th, 2016, 12:19 am

Would you be willing to send me the file so I can look at it? It's probably some little thing that can be hard to convey without looking at the file.

If the mat size is different, then you want to be sure that the rectangles will be on the cutting surface in relation to your paper. I think I know what the problem may be. When doing a print and cut, because you have to line up the registration marks, your origin is usually off the paper so you have room to line up the registration marks - right? So the origin won't be in the right place respectively to cut the rectangles. Off the top of my head, I think I would make the mat and the paper the same size and when you need to cut the rectangles, reset your origin at the lower right hand corner as close to the point as possible, and then cut the rectangle layer in WYSIWYG. I think that may work - you just have to set a different origin because of the print and cut.

If you want to email the file to me I will give it a try. admin@silverbulletcutters.com

I hope when I see it that will crystallize what I am thinking in my head - or change it altogether!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby PaperCottonLove » July 17th, 2016, 2:14 am

It's working Gigi, thank you so much! The origin setting was definitely the problem. I am finding it a little tricky to get the origin set perfectly though - if I'm slightly off the rectangle ends up cutting into my stickers a little. There's no room to make the rectangle bigger because then the printed registration marks get in the way. Is there a way to move in small increments when setting the origin? Sometimes it seems to make a big movement, sometimes a small movement - does that sound normal?
Thanks again for your help :D
PaperCottonLove

Postby Gigi » July 17th, 2016, 10:33 am

You are welcome.

If you decrease your speed the carriage will move more slowly when setting the origin. The button is sensitive and I know what you mean.

You could set the paper to the origin - in a sense. Do your print and cut. then if you are having trouble moving the carriage to get it just right, move your media under the blade after you have set origin. A lot easier when you need a perfect placement. Make sense?

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General