I could throw this machine

Re: I could throw this machine

Postby mmhockeyfan » July 8th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Hmmmm...bummer
I'll keep thinking on it.
At this point, we may have to think of nutty possibilities! :shock:
Any chance you might be using a 60 or a 30 blade instead of a 45? If you have multiple blades, maybe you mixed them up??
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby mjmrrs206 » July 8th, 2016, 10:21 pm

No, I have made sure that as I take a blade out of a holder to put that blade away before pulling the next out so as not to mix them up, though you can pretty much look at them and determine what degree blade you are holding.
mjmrrs206

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24" Pro

Postby mmhockeyfan » July 8th, 2016, 10:31 pm

I'm wondering if the vinyl is not perfectly flat when you attempt to cut it without a mat. It may look level to the naked eye, but it may not be. Sometimes weird situations like that emerge when cutting a detailed file.
I'm thinking you may want to try again with a brand new SB mat. If you don't have one on hand, you might want to try with another type of mat until you get one. The SB mats are really good.
mmhockeyfan

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Postby PennyDuncan » July 9th, 2016, 5:09 pm

What keeps popping in my head is the blade might be damaged.....I know I have a really hard telling if mine is or not because the tips are so fine.....
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby mjmrrs206 » July 9th, 2016, 5:41 pm

Hi Penny,

I literally just finished watching your video on cutting chipboard. So, after wanting to pull my hair out I finally got a piece of vinyl to cut and weed, but ran into another problem. I created my design in Coreldraw (my design software of choice) and saved it as an SVG. I looked at my nodes in Corel and everything was perfect, nodes were only where they should be. I brought the design into SCAL4 and cut the design and it is really jagged. The cuts are not very clean mostly around the font, but as I said I checked my nodes in Corel and everything was as it should be. I brought the exact same design in the Silhouette DE and everything cut perfect. The font I used was Impact which is just a simple box type fat font (super easy to cut). I will say the settings I used to get this file to cut on the SB seemed really high. I had a new silhouette mat that is not warped that I used to test the vinyl on something flat. I had the blade in the click holder at 4 because the blade would not touch the blade setter otherwise and I used a speed of 800 because most people recommended a fast speed and then I had to set the force at 38 to get the vinyl to cut. This just seems so high compared to everyone else, but it was the only way the vinyl would cut cleanly. I feel like the reason I can't get the vinyl to weed good is because of how jagged the SB is cutting the design. I have used the regular 45 degree blade and the 45 degree detail blade and a pen to draw it out. Even with the pen it is really jagged. I guess my frustration is in the fact that my little $200 Silhouette cuts nicer than my SB and I can't figure out why. I hate to be comparing them all the time, but it is all have to compare it to. I'm really not sure where to go from here.
mjmrrs206

Postby Gigi » July 9th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Lots of us have designed in Corel Draw. You never mentioned that you were using that to design. Instead of exporting your design as an svg and then importing it into SCAL, you can download the Corel Draw plug in and you can send your design straight from Corel Draw to SCAL to cut - which will save you several steps. The plug ins only work with SCAL PRO, so you will have to upgrade the software for a minimal amount (it also increased the size you can cut and allows you to cut by color etc and the majority feel it is well worth the upgrade to have the additional features) - so just a thought there.

I definitely would not be cutting vinyl with the click blade set at 4. I suggest you adjust your click blade (instructions are in the learning center) so you are cutting the vinyl at 1. You should have just a little bit of the blade extended and be able to cut at a relatively low number. I think your blade is set too high so you are using too much force for a lightweight material and that might be causing some of the inconsistencies.

JMHO, but most of us who have been using the machine for a long time are cutting REGULAR vinyl at a relatively low force. For instance. I use the click blade for everything . I love it, but it's a personal preference. I cut vinyl at 20. If I am using the Duck Brand sheets (they are fun for cards( I set it at 25. There are some who cut vinyl at 2 - you just have to find the right amount.

Do you have the ability to take a video of your machine cutting so we can see how you have the blade set up, the distance from the vinyl etc? If you are using the setting blade to set the height of your blade, it doesn't make sense to me that you need that much force to cut vinyl - and that you are getting erratic cuts. If your cuts are jagged, again it makes me wonder if it is the blade as you are using different blades with different machines.

I believe it would help you a lot of you stayed with one blade set up and one type of material and worked on that until you had success rather than switching around so much as it is really hard to get a feel for is causing issues - is it the blade, the vinyl, the force, the mat etc?? Too many variables...

Also - I don't think you ever answered if you are using tables when you use a mat.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby mjmrrs206 » July 9th, 2016, 7:36 pm

The click blade can only go so far into the holder. I put it in all the way and then set the blade setter under the blade. The blade would not touch the blade setter so I read in the forum someone else who's cut settings were very high. She had her blade set at 4 or 5 and her pressure was somewhere around 35. It struck me as extremely high but she has said that was what she always cut vinyl on so I set the blade at 4 because at that setting the blade just touched the blade setter. I am doing everything I can to try to be successful with this machine, but it seems like every time I tell you what I have done I am being told that I should not do that. Unfortunately everything you are telling me to do is not working. I am not stupid, but this machine is really making me wonder if I am just an idiot who will never learn how to use it. I can promise you it is not from a lack of trying. I take all your suggestions and try, but nothing is working. Maybe I should just cut my losses and sell it and go back to the Silhouette.
mjmrrs206

Postby mjmrrs206 » July 9th, 2016, 7:37 pm

I forgot to say, I am using the tables.
mjmrrs206

Postby Gigi » July 9th, 2016, 8:06 pm

OK - good. Thanks for letting me know.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mjmrrs206 » July 9th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Gigi,

Please tell me what cut settings you use. I know that each machine is different, but I am just curious what you use that it comes out perfect for you. It has also dawned on me Gigi, that I have not thanked you for spending so much time trying to help me trouble shoot my machine. I am sorry for my oversight and I want to thank you even though I am extremely frustrated right now, it is not directed towards you.
mjmrrs206

Postby Gigi » July 9th, 2016, 8:57 pm

I gave you my settings in my post above. I have not cut sticky flock or HTV, but those who have experience with those have posted along the way.

The click blade holder should go all the way down to the first band - mine sits slightly above that. Again I suggest you adjust your click blade setting as you should not need to set it at 4 to cut vinyl. There are clear instructions on how to adjust the click blade holder - you just need a small allen wrench as I recall.

If I look at my click blade holder, set at 1 in the clamp, it is a little less than 1/8th of an inch from the bottom of the blade and the white cutting strip. The blade sticks out about 1 mm.

And you are welcome. I know you are not frustrated or mad at me, but I really want you to stick with one thing and have success. The jumping around is making it harder on you, even if you can't see that. I understand why you are, but.... just trust me on that.

I am assuming the Silhouette uses the same type of blade as the Cricut - more or less??? Since that blade is cutting well, why not load it into the SB and see how your results are once you get the click blade reset. The blades are not the same quality and don't last as long as the ones Sherri uses, but at least you would know that you are starting with a blade that does not have issues. I am just not sure with all of the switching around you have done which or your blades are in the best condition.

If you want to try again, that is what I would suggest. You can also just wait and talk with Sherri on Monday. She is updated on all of this.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » July 11th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Jennifer -

Something just happened to me while cutting and it made me wonder if you had checked your nodes.

I was cutting a shadow layer for a design and it was relatively simple, but the machine was really struggling and taking forever to cut it and it was jagged and not clean. I was thinking of you the whole time!! I checked my nodes and because I had created the layer, it had over 1000 nodes and I then simplified it to 131 (did it automatically through SCAL (Path>Simplify) It cut like a dream after that. I know when these things happen I have missed something - and here is a perfect example,

So check your nodes and see what they look like. You can also upload the svg file if you want so we can look at it. Or you can email it to me if you want. admin@silverbulletcutters.com

Hoping this will help you.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mjmrrs206 » July 11th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Hey Gigi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at it in SCAL and was able to clean my nodes up a little bit which did help in the cutting, but I am still not getting a clean weed. I have adjusted the click blade holder like you suggested and I still have to bring my blade out to a 2 and had my force at 28 in order to get at least part of my design to weed. I still lose a lot of my design when I am weeding. At this point I don't think this is the machine for me. I have done everything suggested and I am not finding results. I need a machine that I don't have to fidget with so much in order to run a business. I did cut chipboard with it the other day and was pretty amazed at the ease in which it cut the thick chipboard, but that isn't what I do daily. I originally was looking at vinyl plotters when my husband suggested the Silver Bullet to me and it looked awesome, but ultimately I need a machine that can cut vinyl as its primary function. I will load the cut file for you just so you can see what I have cut at least 60 times in the last week. This is the kind of design I cut for car decals and shirts. I really appreciate all your help.

Thanks,
Jennifer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjmrrs206

Postby Gigi » July 11th, 2016, 9:38 pm

Jennifer -

If I blow it up it doesn't look bad, but it you keep it at the size you have it - roughly 4 1/4 x 4" you have areas that have nodes on top of nodes on top of nodes.

The first pic highlights the design nodes and you can see the problematic areas.

The second pic is a screen capture from Path>Simplify. I have mine set to a threshold of 40--50. That may be a tad high but I have yet to have it alter a design in a negative way. I just want you to see where you have the nodes on top of nodes. If it was a larger design it would spread they out a little and they would not be so intensive in areas.

And there is a trick a Corel Draw guru taught me years ago that might help as you have a lot of sharp corners. You can blow up the design and slightly round your corners. When the design is cut out, they will still look like a pointed corner, but the machine will just glide around those edges.

I honestly don't think the machine is too much for you. I think you just have to get a better handle on the settings that work for YOU - mine work for me - just play with the same blade, same holder, same material and get some successful design cuts. You can slow down the machine as you have a lot of detail in the vinyl. Try a few simple things.

I can promise you that once you get it, you will be elated and the rest will come easy. I can almost guarantee you that every one of us has hit an impasse during the learning process - at least once. And I still hit them now but I usually know what to do to figure out what I did wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mjmrrs206 » July 11th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Gigi,

Thanks for your assurance. Just when I resolve to walk away you suck me back in ;). I have 3 kids at home with me right now so I have to sneak away and work with it when my littles are down for their naps. I had my threshold down at 25 in SCAL and didn't realize that you could bump the threshold up so far. They have that scary warning that says if you bump the threshold up to far you will lose detail in your design so I didn't try to push it too far. I also realized that when I was looking at the nodes in Corel I had the design blown up to about 9x9 so that would explain why the nodes looked right to me when I was looking at it a couple days ago. I'll give things a try again tomorrow. Thanks again.
mjmrrs206

Postby Gigi » July 11th, 2016, 11:37 pm

You are welcome. I am not trying to suck you in - I just want to see you persevere and get over this hurdle.

There is no rush - just try it when you have the time. The pressure to fit it in may be adding to the problem. If you can, wait until you have a block of time and can just take your time and try a few things.

As far as the threshold goes, I fool around with it and, so far, have not messed up a design. There is always a first time, that's why I save different versions so I can start over if need be.

Take a break and enjoy your children. The machine will be there for you when you are ready. :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mjmrrs206 » July 15th, 2016, 9:38 pm

I did a quick search to see if there was anyone in the Asheville NC area that owns a SB and found a couple people. Is it possible to get connected with one of them to see if maybe I could get a little help? I am very much a hands on and visual learner. I feel like if I could get someone to give me a lesson or two in person then I would be able to use my machine. I am willing to pay someone to help me out.
mjmrrs206

Postby Gigi » July 16th, 2016, 12:41 am

I am not sure how you searched for people in your area, but we cannot give out that information. You can certainly PM someone to see if they can help. Did you watch the videos on the forum that were done last spring and summer? They are very informative and helpful and of course are great visual aids.

I know I have said it before, but it's true. The best teacher is time and trial and error. Were you able to order new blades and a new mat? If there is no one able to be "with you", those videos may be the best alternative. Rob and Michelle did a really good job with them.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby RussPitcher » November 1st, 2016, 9:05 am

I don't come here often so I've only just seen this, but if this helps these are the settings I use with the Oracal 651 and RitRama O400 vinyl

Using a 45 degree detail blade I fit the blade and adjust it until it's completely flush and then give the adjuster a 3/4 turn so the blade is only just poking out. When I adjust the blade height using the setting tool it drags a fair bit on the felt. For most work I use speed 500, force 38 (increasing to about 48 as the blade dulls, after that it has to be replaced).

I do a lot of very detailed work (sub 1mm lines and cutouts) and I found the advertised offset and overcut settings for the 45 degree detail blade were out. After a lot of test pieces changing settings one step at a time I found that an offset of 0.45mm and an overcut of 0.75 or 0.8mm worked best.
RussPitcher

Cutter: 18 inch Silver Bullet

Previous

Return to General