Best vinyl and transfer paper

Best vinyl and transfer paper

Postby jdbcustoms » June 8th, 2016, 1:50 pm

What is the best vinyl and transfer paper to use? I just went to hoppy lobby and bought the cricut vinyl and transfer paper to try them out and the transfer paper is way too sticky. I'm transferring the vinyl to wood. Just looking to see if others have had success with this. Thanks
jdbcustoms

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: Best vinyl and transfer paper

Postby Gigi » June 8th, 2016, 1:57 pm

You can search on there for many discussions about vinyl. Most of us recommend the Oracal vinyl - it cuts beautifully. Most buy from Sign Warehouse or US Cutter.

I have transfer tape on a roll that I love and it is reusable, although I am usually transferring vinyl to card stock or a smooth medium.

Most of us have not had the greatest luck with the Cricut vinyl - someone was just talking about it last week - not having success cutting it I mean...
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby jdbcustoms » June 8th, 2016, 2:53 pm

Where do you get the transfer tape? I didn't have a problem cutting the cricut vinyl it was just getting the transfer paper to let go of it onto the wood.
jdbcustoms

Cutter: prospective buyer

Postby Gigi » June 8th, 2016, 3:16 pm

You can get it anywhere that they sell good vinyl. I ordered mine online from a vinyl warehouse. Not sure which one as it has been a while...

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » June 8th, 2016, 7:29 pm

H&H Sign Supply is also another good online source for vinyl and transfer tapes - more so if you are buying quantity but you can buy smaller quantities of most items. They presently have a coupon code of JUNE16 that will save you 16% on many things but equipment, software, cutters, cutting mats, clip art, and storage racks are excluded. Code is good through June 10, 2016. Not affiliated but I have ordered from them in the past and have always had excellent service, product, etc. They are located in Kentucky so depending upon your location - shipment can be fairly quick (for me they are very close - closer then the others so get faster and out of state (unlike US Cutter which also has a Memphis location so I have to pay state sales tax.)

http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

Which transfer tape works best depends upon what you are using it with. Some are more sticky then others and are meant for use with more "heavy duty" vinyls. You can do a google search to find out differences or some of the sites will give you that information. Here is one article from Sign Warehouse: https://www.signwarehouse.com/blog/begi ... or-103012/

One thing you can do if the transfer tape you have is too sticky is try to "desticky" it some before using it similar to how one would "desticky" a mat that was too sticky. You can use your hands, or a shirt, or something to help reduce the stick on it. Also, transfer tape can be used more than once.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby ssrdw » November 2nd, 2016, 8:03 am

Gigi, which transfer tape do you use with vinyl and cardstock. Everything I've used peels the cardstock!
Thanks
ssrdw

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » November 2nd, 2016, 10:53 am

I don't know that mine has a brand name on it but it's on a roll and is made for transferring vinyl. I think I had trouble once on a very "layered" piece of textured cardstock, but for the most part I don't have an issue. Just be sure the tape is one designed for transferring vinyl. I think the "reusable" transfer tape is more forgiving as well, and now that I think about it, that is the one I primarily use. I also go really slow when transferring - more to be sure that the vinyl is adhering. I will check in a bit and see if I can find a brand name on the roll.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby ssrdw » November 3rd, 2016, 10:11 am

Thank you Gigi!! I appreciate your taking the time to comment.
ssrdw

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Postby Gigi » November 3rd, 2016, 11:31 am

Of course. I just looked at the roll - it's 6" in height. I like it because it's easy to cut off as much as you need. I don't remember where I purchased it, but the brand name is TransferRite and their manufacturer is www.abitape.com.
Here is where I purchased it (it was a long shot but glad I remembered!!) http://www.vinylsuperstore.com/categori ... sfer-Tape/

Unfortunately it seems that they are out of stock of just about all of it. When I am home later can try to find it elsewhere and others may offer better sites. I know many use products from Sign Warehouse. They have a wide variety of transfer tapes (including Transfer Rite) - so you have a lot to check out. https://www.signwarehouse.com/c/application-tape

Good luck!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General