Gluing-adhesive for a very thing cut

Gluing-adhesive for a very thing cut

Postby pigtailpat » December 3rd, 2015, 3:29 pm

I FINALLY installed my new gussets as I broke mine in moving my cat for reorganization. I had to get multiple copies of a heart template from thin cardboard - with an open center so I can see for placement on a quilt top. Every time I use my cat, I am reminded how much I love this machine.

Anyway, so in order to make this template thick enough with stand up to a pen going around the outside, I had to cut a few. Now I have to adhere them together. This is a really thin heart. Any hints on how I can adhere them together? There are 5 of these things and I want to stack them on top of another, to make the template thick and strong to withstand use next to a pen.

Thanks!

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Re: Gluing-adhesive for a very thing cut

Postby MeFlick » December 3rd, 2015, 3:55 pm

Do you have an ATG gun with permanent adhesive?
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby pigtailpat » December 3rd, 2015, 5:56 pm

No - in looking at them, what does an ATG adhesive gun do? Does it lay down adhesive, so that the adhesive is exposed to the air and ready to adhere another media? I went through my card making stuff, which I hadn't touched in eons, and found a little glue left in the quickie pens I had which isn't dried out. A lot of my stuff is going bad from non-use. Sigh. Now that I have a very reliable way of washing out markings in quilts (thanks to the new crayolas), I plan to use the cougar much, much more for making templates for marking quilts. So I do have to revisit the issue of adhesive.

When it comes to making templates for the purpose of marking quilts, spray adhesive or any messy way is not a good idea, because then the resultant template could be sticky. And that won't help me much with putting on fabric for the purpose of marking a quilt top.

Is an ATG gun the most predictable way? I can see the tape is about 1/4" wide, and I can plan the cuts to be at least that wide to fit the tape (i.e. when I blow out the centers so I can see for fabric placement - doing an inner shadow layer). They seem expensive, are they obtainable via a coupon somewhere?

Pat

Thanks!

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby MeFlick » December 3rd, 2015, 6:28 pm

Hey Pat. Yes, they are expensive in the scheme of things but well worth the $ in my opinion. The real ATG guns can use different sizes of tape if you get the "adaptor" that lets it use bigger. One roll of the tape can last quite a while as well. (Depending of course how much you are using it regularly of course ;) ) They are basically a "double sided" tape that you "roll" out on your project. It is sticky as soon as it is down - no exposure to air needed.

They are the tape guns that a lot of framing places use (which is why you tend to find them online at framing supply stores.) Unfortunately, the real ATG tape guns themselves (that have the adaptor to fit and accept different sizes of tapes) are not usually sold somewhere where you can use a coupon. However, there is a pink version that some of the craft stores sell that you could use coupon for. I believe it only works with the smaller 1/4" tape. They also sell the refills of course at the store that you could also use the coupons on. These would be the tape guns that many of the forums used to do "share buys" for because if you bought in big enough bulk you paid less per roll.

It is a fairly strong adhesive and would work I think to adhere your template pieces together. It would be similar to the "red line tape" (but not as strong). The red line tape might be another option and maybe better. Might give you stronger adhesion, you could "cut" it to fit areas as needed.

I have never been a big user of any "wet glues" as I don't think they adhere well often and would be messy and you would need to worry about it bleeding out between your pieces when you were first adhering them together which is why I thought about the ATG tape gun.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby pigtailpat » December 3rd, 2015, 6:58 pm

Thank you for taking the time to educate me on ATG guns. I will look into how I can get one. I suppose the other alternative might be something like scor tape in a thinner width (I only have the 2" scor tape on hand that I bought awhile ago for box making - which I just remembered I have). I agree, for stacking layers of cardboard together to create a certain depth, the best way is going to be double sided adhesive. The negative about the scor tape is it is a lot of handling, the negative about the ATG gun is cost and possibly how heavy it is to hold in the hand. I will be sure to look at adhesives soon.

Pat
pigtailpat

Postby MeFlick » December 4th, 2015, 12:04 am

You're welcome Pat. You can cut down that 2" score tape but yes it is more "handling" with it but definitely would know they were "stuck" together! If you want to use the thinner size, definitely check into the pink ones at the craft stores with a coupon. If you don't have any convenient to you to check let me know - we have plenty in my vicinity - two Michael's, 2 Hobby Lobby's (actually 3 but one is in an area I don't usually get to on the other side of town), 1 AC Moore and a large JoAnn's. I know Michael's has the pink one - can't recall about the others. I would be happy to work out getting you one and shipping it to you if that would help. I may go to Mike's tomorrow or this weekend and will check and check their prices and let you know. In general, I don't think they are too heavy. The pink one is not as heavy as the more "commercial" ones. The biggest hurdle for me is that I am left handed and they are designed for right handed people. Which means it is harder for me to "see" the tape being applied (only a fellow left hander will understand!) I will try to remember to check and let you know what I find out. (I think you might be able to order online from them if you don't have one - I will check on that too.)
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby pigtailpat » December 4th, 2015, 9:20 am

You are too kind. I do have a Michael's and an AC Moore within reasonable distance. We have 1 hobby Lobby which is pretty far from me, although for a good price I am willing to drive a bit farther. I probably have to keep car trips down for December though, as I am helping a good friend with a quilt for her mother (40 years in the making). Any spare time I have has to be used on that quilt.

A tip for those of you making your own templates for quilt marking - put nexcare tape on the bottom of your homade template (via the cat or silver bullet) after the cut is completed. It has a rubbery type of surface, and when placed on fabric, it won't slip. I do the same with my rulers, etc.

Pat
pigtailpat

Return to General