Latest cardstock recommendations?

Latest cardstock recommendations?

Postby tshiroma » October 6th, 2015, 12:36 am

Hi. I'm a newbie and I've been unsuccessful in cutting out a box with Bazzill linen cardstock no matter what velocity, force, blade height, # of passes, etc. I use. I've read posts saying that the Bazzill smooth is better, anything textured is difficult. Others swear by American Crafts, WorldWin, Jo-Ann's, etc. but many of these posts are at least 3 or more years old. The paper craft industry and its products has changed tremendously in recent years. American Crafts has since acquired Bazzill. Has anyone seen a difference in either the quality of American Crafts for the worse or Bazzill for the better? Also, I was considering running to the office supply store to pick up a pack of 110lb Neenah cardstock. Any feedback on Neenah? Finally, I live in Hawaii where it is very humid. Do you think going with a heavier weight cardstock such as 85lb - 110lb might be better? I'd appreciate all any any feedback or cardstock suggestions. TIA!
tshiroma

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Pro

Re: Latest cardstock recommendations?

Postby Gigi » October 6th, 2015, 1:38 am

It could easily be that it is not the Bazzill but the humidity - that will make the best paper not cut well. Some try to dry their paper out before cutting.

I would start with just a basic cardstock - like Georgia Pacific or Wausau - it is inexpensive and a great cardstock to cut while learning. It should cut around 60-70 - a little less depending on how you set your blade. Be sure you brayer the card stock to the mat - don't just place it down, and do some simple shapes. See if you can successfully cut that on a day that isn't too humid. Get a baseline for yourself.

Sometimes if you have a card stock that is textured on one side, put it face down on the mat so you are cutting from the smoother side - that can make a huge difference. Some have no issue with Bazzill so I am guessing it could be the texture and the humidity. I am in So. CA so it doesn't tend to get "too" humid here often, so that rarely affects my cutting. Others can certainly chime in with suggestions.

I love World Win although it is difficult to find, the Stardream text weight is awesome, Neenah anything is a great card stock - have a lot of it - as is the Heavenly White. I get the majority of paper from the Paper Temptress and it all cuts beautifully. But while you are learning, I really would start with an inexpensive card stock and have some success with that first. It is much easier that way and not as costly as you won't potentially be wasting more expensive card stock.

Honestly, most card stocks cut very well as long as they are not too fibrous. And occasionally you may have trouble with a particular color like red. Just have success with the lightweight white card stock and that will make success with the others much easier to achieve.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby tshiroma » October 6th, 2015, 2:20 am

Thanks. Being in Hawaii has its limitations when it comes to any kind of crafting. No Jo-Ann's nor Michael's. I have to order everything online. I've read about people "drying out" their paper. How exactly does one do that?
tshiroma

Postby tshiroma » October 6th, 2015, 2:41 am

By the way, I don't know if anyone else has this problem --maybe its the high humidity-- all cardstock sticks too strongly to my mat. I don't dare use a brayer. Just with smoothing the cardstock down a bit with my hand causes it to rip when I try to carefully remove it.
tshiroma

Postby Gigi » October 6th, 2015, 8:28 am

The mat initially is stick. You will see that it has been discussed on here a lot. And yes, you do need to use a brayer because just putting it down does not give good adhesion, even though it seems to be sticking.

When you remove any paper or card stock, use a little spatula, credit card, anything you can slide under there to release the paper. Even when my mat is not as sticky I still do that because I am in the habit of it! :) It's just a good practice and you won't have the ripping and tearing that can happen with a new mat.

The other thing you can do is take a cloth (lint free) and blot it all over the mat and remove some of the sticky. But always use the brayer and something to release it and you will be fine and get much better cuts. Brayering is the key!

And on your other post, even though I DO have a Michaels or JoAnns, I still order online because of the choices and I can rarely find what I need. That being said, you are right. Most of us at least have the ability to make that choice and you are really stuck not having either near you. I think I might give up a crafting store nearby to live in Hawaii though! I still have not been there. It's on my bucket list! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Postby pigtailpat » October 6th, 2015, 11:35 am

a couple of suggestions:

(1) Get an extra pinch wheel. I know you have the silver bullet (and they have extras), get it anyway and install it. The more stable your media is, the better. When I got an extra pinch wheel for my cougar, suddenly, media that gave me trouble was a breeze - truly do it - I have 4 wheels now on my 18" cougar and I probably will add a 5th when I can do it

(2) cut upside down on things that have a texture (like linen lines). You need a smooth surface. Place the right side of the media to the adhesive (I know icky - trust me though - it won't be bad once cut)

(3) What blade?

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby tshiroma » October 6th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Thanks, ladies! I'm using the 60 blade and two passes. I use three pinch wheels over my 12 x 12 card stock. I cannot get any penetration using a force less than 150 (speed at 100 - 150) even though I've read that many do not need to go anywhere above 100. I'll try putting the paper face down and brayering even though that makes me extremely nervous while still experiencing paper removal issues. I really appreciate your help. Last night, I was ready to chuck the whole machine ( yes, I was extremely frustrated but have since calmed down :D ) Even with all the forums and posts, there's nothing like one-on-one feedback. Office max has some Neenah. I think I'm also going to try that while still holding out hope that I can make the Bazzill work.
tshiroma

Postby Gigi » October 6th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Just take it a step at a time. Be sure your blade isn't slipping and that you don't have it too high up. Be sure your test cuts are clean. It's kind of like drawing on scratch paper and then using the real thing once you master it. Get comfortable cutting card stock we know is easy to cut and then branch out to other things. You will be amazed at how good you feel after some success :)

Again - we have all been there - really. You will get over this hump!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby janrichards » October 7th, 2015, 1:55 pm

It sounds to me like you have your blade set too high in the machine. Did you get one of the plates that shows you where to have it set? Also, on cardstock I always use the 45 degree blade. I almost always cut on a lower force and double cut to get a nice clean cut. I would work on lowering your blade some and see if that helps.
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Postby tshiroma » October 8th, 2015, 12:11 am

Hi Jan. I bought my machine secondhand and it did not come with the blade height setter, however, I read in a post somewhere that you can use an old cd/dvd so that's what I am using. I haven't tried the 45 blade --I kind of assumed that for something thick and or texture and fibrous the 60 blade would be better but I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks for your response!
tshiroma

Postby janrichards » October 8th, 2015, 7:45 am

The main thing you have to remember is that all machines have variations. If you can't cut through card stock at that force you have to lower your blade. Experiment a bit, lower it a little at a time until you get a good cut. There are only guidelines, no hard and fast rules, you have to do what works on your machine!
Jan

Just had another thought. What does your cutting strip look like? Do you have a white strip where the blade cuts? What shape is it in?
janrichards

Postby pigtailpat » October 8th, 2015, 4:37 pm

Jan - to remind you - the OP was asking about bazzill, which is a pretty tought nut to crack and 45 degree won't do bazzill. It has a fibrous content, and textures to it. If this would regular cardstock, I'd agree that many of the cardstocks out there can be done with a 45 blade. But NOT bazzill.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby janrichards » October 9th, 2015, 12:42 pm

I have cut Bazzill very successfully with a 45 degree blade. I never get out my 60 degree unless i am cutting something thicker than cardstock!
Jan
janrichards

Postby tshiroma » October 10th, 2015, 1:01 am

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all of your input. I have good new and bad news in cutting my Bazzill. The good news is I was finally able to cut my pattern cleanly with one pass! When I was mulling it over, I thought to myself, well, the SB is supposed to cut through most anything within reason. What is textured and fibrous? Fabric! Sure enough I popped in the fabric blade and cutting problem solved. I also switched to the click blade holder but that may be causing a new problem. My problem now is that I am getting drag marks throughout my design. I wouldn't mind so much since I am cutting on the back side of my paper except that the drag is enough that it almost cuts through. First of all, its not the file. I tried cutting the same file a number of times and the drag marks never occur in the same place so its not the file. I did double check my nodes and nothing unusual showed up. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the click blade holder. When I watch it at eye level while its cutting, sometimes when the arm goes up to move to a different area, instead of the blade going up with the holder or retracting into the holder, the blade actually drops down out of the holder where it drags across the paper. Other posts mention that there is supposed to be some kind of screw in the click blade holder. I'm sure mine does not have a screw - it looks like an empty black hole, not that I would know if that would help fix the problem since I could not find anything in the learning center or forums about this hole/screw and what it does. I guess the only way to troubleshoot it is to see if the problem happens with the regular blade holder. I'll let you know.
tshiroma

Postby Gigi » October 10th, 2015, 1:48 am

I think your click blade holder just needs to be adjusted. There are instructions in the learning center on how to do that, and yes - that dark black hole is the screw and you need an allen wrench to carefully adjust it. Do it slowly so it doesn't fall out. It sounds to me like the blade is dragging because it is extended too far for whatever reason. It should barely be extended on one and then stick out more and more as you go up in the numbers.

You can also have dragging if your mat is at all warped or bowed, but hopefully it will just take an adjustment of the click blade. There is a whole section in the learning center about adjusting the click blade holder http://learn.silverbulletcutters.com/ac ... ck-holder/

And as far as your comment about the SB will cut through anything - it does have its limitations. If the material is too fibrous (like some handmade papers for instance) it will not do a good job with those - no cutter will. There are also colors that do not cut as well as others due to the die. It can handle almost anything, but it does have a few things that are much more difficult than others.

Take time to trouble shoot your issues. And like Jan, I too have cut Bazzill with the 45 degree blade. But there are many different kinds of Bazzill and we may not be comparing apples to apples!

Good luck.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General