A different blade for a different material?

A different blade for a different material?

Postby Esther » September 24th, 2015, 10:32 am

Do you try to limit the variety of materials you cut with a certain type of blade? For example, with scissors, one is always taught to keep paper cutting scissors separate from fabric ones. I find that paper can dull a scissor blade and render is useless to cut other materials.

I use my bullet to cut a variety of things. Common materials I use are cardboard, paper, wood, fabric and thin foil like metal. Given this, does it make sense to use a specific blade for a type/group of materials only? Will this extend blade life?

Any thoughts on this?
Esther

Cutter: Silver Bullet 15inch

Re: A different blade for a different material?

Postby Thyme » September 24th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Definitely keep a different blade for fabric, or use a new one for fabric and then go on to cut other media with it. It is exactly the same as with scissors.
For everything else I don't bother keeping a separate blade
Thyme

Postby Gigi » September 24th, 2015, 9:15 pm

Absolutely - totally agree with Dawn. I may switch blade holders and blades based on the design I am cutting and/or material, but don't change blades for each different material. That would be a lot of extra work, for starters, and something I don't think is necessary.

But honestly, if you want to do that you certainly can - it just means you need a larger stash of blades. Only you know what will work best for you. :) Just because we don't do it that way, doesn't mean you can't!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Esther » September 24th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Thank you so much.
Esther

Cutter: Silver Bullet 15inch

Return to General