B>13 inch SB or Sizzix big shot?

B>13 inch SB or Sizzix big shot?

Postby Mintx » September 16th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Hi guys,

I am very sure that if I am to get a digital cutter it would be silver bullet hands down. However, I have been going back and forth between SB and Bigshot. I would love to get them both but my budget can only allow one. I need some insights/opinions.

I want to use the intended machine for card making. I would like to work with A4 (21.0 x 29.7cm, 8.27 x 11.69 inches) or 12 x 12 inches paper to cut some shapes and stamped & marker coloured images.

I love stamping. I have collected over USD350 worth of clear stamps from mainly lawn fawn and mama elephant. And this is where the bulk of my dilemma stems from

Pros and Cons of Each Machine:

SB:

1) Nearly once off cost, less replacing tools/mats when required. I probably won't be getting any thing else till the machine break down. Est cost with extra tools. USD990 ish or AUS/SGD 1400 ish.

2) Wider cutting width. Cuts A4 and 12x12 inches paper. I assume 13 inch Silver Bullet has a cutting width of 13 inch? I can cut 12 inch x 12 inch card stock? :?

3) Huge potential. I have some experience with Adobe Illustrator. Can possibly design my own cuts.

4) Has numerous functions. Pen tool, embossing, etc. cost is already calculated in point one.

5) Not sure if it will take too much time to get the machine to cut stamped images with slight white border.

BS:

1) The machine is significantly cheaper. BUT it will cost me a total of about USD860 ish or AUS/SGD 1200 if i get all the dies I am eyeing/ complementary to my existing stamps . And the amount will grow as i collect more dies.

2) Will have to settle with cutting width of 6 inches. Probably gotta use half a A4.

3) Potential restricted to dies i have.

4) Have to spend EVEN more if I want to emboss.

5) I can get complementary dies for my stamps if I get a manual cutter. Cutting on manual cutters seem faster and more fuss free. But long term wise it is expensive as the potential is limited to number of dies I get. But, this can be counter argued that I can build my die collection slowly. A few dyes at a time...

=( Which should I get? :banghead: Anyone has experience with both machines to share?
Mintx

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13 inch

Re: B>13 inch SB or Sizzix big shot?

Postby Gigi » September 16th, 2015, 4:45 pm

I have not used a big shot. I have used a Cuttlebug and other machines. I have hundreds of dollars of dies that I have not used in years because I do everything on the Silver Bullet.

Cutting out an image is as simple as stamping it, scanning it, saving it as a jpg and tracing it. You can trace in the SCAL software and add a shadow layer if you want the white outline, but it is so accurate with the print and cut you can cut right on the stamped outline.

The major drawback is the learning curve. You won't be able to do all that you want immediately. Those who have the greatest success are those who take the time in the learning center to really understand the machine before going to the more advanced options like print and cut. But once you get there it is just so easy. You have to decide if the down time to learn is worth it - but the one thing for me that is the deciding factor - well one of them, is that your options are unlimited. You can cut out anything on a variety of materials and sizes. You will always need to buy more dies and the costs will eventually skyrocket if you continue on that path. But is it easier? Probably - at least initially.

It is a real personal decision and only one you can ultimately make. If we can answer specific questions, feel free to ask. We will all do our best to answer.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » September 16th, 2015, 5:19 pm

This is like comparing a low end vehicle to a much higher end vehicle. They do not really compare. Most everyone here has had at least one of the similar manual cutters like the Big Shot. Some of us have had or still have more than one. We already made the decision that we think the electronic cutter better meets our needs and thus why we have purchased one and can be found here! Only you can decide what fits your needs and your budgets both now and long term. If I could only have one and could pick a SB, hands down I would pick the electronic cutter over the manual one for so many reasons. First as you noted, you can do much more with the SB then with the manual cutter and cut and do much bigger sizes. You are only limited by your imagination with an electronic cutter to the larger degree, but locked into the dies that you can get for the manual cutter. As you have already seen those dies are also expensive (even more so if you get the matching stamps) and take up a lot of storage space. With my home all-in-one printer/scanner, I have been able to stamp any of the stamp images I already have, resize it bigger, smaller, color it on the computer, etc. and then cut it out on my electronic cutter with ease. As Gigi noted already, if you want that white border its very easy to create and cut. However, if you don't want the white border (I never did usually) you can also cut out without it using the "print and cut" features of the electronic cutter. Is the manual machine easier - yes - but you still have to figure out the right "stack" of plates, etc. to get the proper cut depending upon the die types, depth, etc. That is actually a bit of a pain and one of the reasons I never used that machine very much. Yes, the electronic machines, especially those on the higher end like a SB does have a bit more learning curve BUT if you have never had one of the less expensive machines like a Cricut then you will be ahead of the game in the learning curve because you don't already think its suppose to work one way.

We can all "justify" what we want in our minds but as I already said - only you can make that choice for yourself. To me - if you are looking to spend almost the same amount of money when you factor in the dies you already know you want - then I would say the SB would be the better overall choice. Like Gigi, I can show you a huge pile of expensive dies that are in my stuff that haven't been used much at all in years.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Mintx » September 18th, 2015, 8:21 am

Ok. Thank you all for taking time to reply this. This means a lot to me. I don't live in US/UK/AUS and will have to import the machine, it will be a very big one time off payment and I feel a little nervous.

I think I will go ahead with the purchase =)

May I ask if the 13 inch will serve my needs? I would like to work with 12 x 12 inch paper and mostly A4. I assume 13 inch Silver Bullet has a cutting width of 13 inch?

I am going to confirm my order soon. So EXCITED =D
Mintx

Postby MeFlick » September 18th, 2015, 8:36 am

Since I don't have a 13" machine, I can not positively "confirm" anything for you on that machine and would highly recommend that you confirm that with the entity you are planning to purchase it from. However, I believe that that is correct, if you buy a 13" machine, you have up to 13" of width it will cut. If you buy a 15" machine, it will cut up to 15" wide, an 18" machine cuts up to 18" wide and a 24" machine cuts up to 24" wide. The machine's opening is bigger to allow for the insertion of media but the "size" refers to its maximum cutting width. Do not however, that your mat placement will be very key if you get a 13" machine and want to cut 12" wide. You will want to make sure you keep your mat over to the right side of the machine so that it doesn't go out of cutting range. This is a common newbie mistake when first getting a machine, putting the mat too far over to the left since the opening is wider.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Mintx » September 18th, 2015, 9:01 am

Ok noted. =)

Thanks for the tip!
Mintx

Postby Gigi » September 18th, 2015, 9:46 am

Again, Melanie answered your questions beautifully. The only thing I will add is that I started with a 13" machine and went up to an 18" a year or so later. Did the 13" work well? Of course. But you have more room to play (and also a larger machine so you have to have the space to put it) when you are cutting material. For instance, with the smaller machine and 12x12 paper, that gives you an inch of room measured from the inside right over, to actually cut. You have to always be sure that you have the mat and paper over far enough so it won't go out of range while cutting. If you have the mat or media positioned wrong, the machine will pause and there is no recourse but to start over. That's not hard to remember once you get the hang of it. Just saying - it is something you have to watch out for.

What we always say here, is buy the largest size you can afford and/or have room for. No one has EVER regretted getting a larger machine (the larger the more versatility in cutting) but many have upgraded. It is a very personal decision and one that none of us can make for you. You know what makes sense for you. I loved my 13". I love my 18"! And I am sure you will enjoy whatever you get as long as you give yourself the time to learn it. It is not a plug and play machine. It takes time to get the settings right and get successful cuts. But once you do, it's pretty smooth sailing.

Be sure to contact Sherri at Sherri@silverbulletcutters.com. She is always happy to answer any concerns you may have, she ships internationally, and is a wealth of information.

Good luck with your decision. It is a big one and we all respect that. It was for us too!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Mintx » November 3rd, 2015, 4:43 am

I brought the machine =D I am currently taking some time to test it while going through the videos from the learning centre. It is definitely not a plug and play machine HAHAHA. I am finishing exams soon. Will get more time to play with the machine. =D

Thanks for advice Gigi! I currently only have budget for the 13 inch but i believe it will last me awhile <3
Mintx

Postby MeFlick » November 3rd, 2015, 8:30 am

Congratulations on your new tool. Taking your time and going through the videos and information in the learning center is a great way to learn the ins and outs of this machine. You are right, they are not a simple "plug and play" device but they are also much better machines because of that. With exams ongoing - don't let the stress of the cutter add to your stress. This will only add to your anxiety all around and not give you the best "Environment" to learn to use your machine. Do some of the basics to make sure the machine is working - then finish those exams and then when you have some time after the exams - then do as you said "PLAY" with the machine to learn it. Once you have had time to "play" and have the basics down - then move on to more complicated stuff! Good luck with your exams and your machine. Let us know if we can answer any questions or help with any projects down the road. We look forward to seeing what you do with your machine.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » November 3rd, 2015, 10:04 am

You are welcome, June, and thanks Melanie for the great advice.

Taking your time to learn is key, but once you do you will be good to go and creating with ease.

Congratulations!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General