Qn: All about the blades

Qn: All about the blades

Postby Mintx » September 2nd, 2015, 3:17 am

Hi,

I am thinking of buying Silver Bullet but I am confused with the blades. :banghead:

Am I correct to say that the Silver Bullet comes with a standard blade holder and 45 and 60 degree blades?

1) What is the difference between Standard blade holder, Detailed blade holder and Click blade holder?

2) Detailed blade holder uses blades with spring and click blade holder uses normal blades?

3) Do I need both detailed and click blade holder?

Any help is appreciated. :)
Mintx

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13 inch

Re: Qn: All about the blades

Postby MeFlick » September 2nd, 2015, 8:09 am

Mintx wrote:Hi,

I am thinking of buying Silver Bullet but I am confused with the blades. :banghead:

Am I correct to say that the Silver Bullet comes with a standard blade holder and 45 and 60 degree blades?

1) What is the difference between Standard blade holder, Detailed blade holder and Click blade holder?

2) Detailed blade holder uses blades with spring and click blade holder uses normal blades?

Yes, the Silver Bullet ships with the standard blade holder and comes with a 45 and a 60 degree blade "out of the box".

The difference between the blade holders is to my understanding the Standard Blade holder is the one that ships and it allows very "minute" adjustments to be made to the blade. There are no "predetermined", marked settings to be used. The Click Blade holder was developed for those use to a Cricut or Silhouette type machine that used blades with numbered markings on them for "clicking" to the next preset adjustment space. The click Blade holder has preset, numbered places to click to when setting your blade. It has less ability to make minor adjustments to fit the media. The detail blade holder is more like the Standard Blade holder in that it does not have "preset" numbered spots to click to. You can adjust it in very minute settings to get the best fit to your media. It was designed primarily for cutting very detailed, very intricate cuts that a user may find is not cutting as well with the other regular blades and holders. (However, I have one and have never really used it - I get pretty small, intricate cuts with the regular blades and holders.) Some people prefer the Click Blade holder - usually because they are used to the other style machines I noted and the ability to "click" to the next stop. It is not necessary to have more than one, it is what you think your preference might be. Some people get multiple blade holders and keep one type of blade in it and just switch out blade holders rather than blades in the holder as the need for a different blade occurs (i.e. one holder with a 45 degree blade, one with a 60 degree blade, etc.)

Yes, the detailed blade holder uses blades with a spring and the regular blade holder and the click blade holder uses blades without springs. I cannot tell you "why" the spring or its role in the process however. What I can tell you though is IF you are using that blade holder and blade and are putting it together or changing it out - work over a soft white cloth and don't let that spring get away! I have seen lots of people loose their spring when they failed to do that! They just seem to "spring" away. ;)

You don't "need" anything more then what is in the box to start with. Whether you "want" more is reliant upon many factors. Do you plan to want to cut very detailed, highly intricate cuts - if so - you might consider having the detailed blades and blade holder to try if you aren't getting the cuts you want from the regular blade holder and blades. Are you coming from a Cricut/Silhouette style machine where you are used to being able to "click" to a preset number and feel more comfortable with that method? If so, then you might want to get the Click Blade holder. If not, then the functionality of the Click Blade holder may not be as important to you and you might want to start with the regular blade holder and learn from the start how to properly adjust the blades in the holder as this gives you much better overall control on the setting of your blade then a Click Blade holder does.

If you are a newbie and getting a machine - I would highly recommend that you get extra blades and a mat or two to start with. As we all learn the machine - we go through blades much more quickly in the beginning and sometimes cut through a mat :o (yes, most all of us have done that at some point.) Nothing like trying to work and finding that you have to wait because you need a new blade because you chipped the only one you have. :cry:

Now, if you are one of those people that wants to be able to do it ALL with your machine, then I would highly recommend that you look at the "Got to have it All" package if you can afford to add it to your initial purchase (I understand that not everyone can afford to do this however. Many are just happy to be able to get the machine initially). This is packaged and sold to be sent with your initial purchase of the machine. It comes with the click blade holder and the detailed blade holder as well as the 45 and 60 degree detailed blades for the detailed blade holder. It also comes with a 30 degree fabric blade and a 60 degree plus long shaft blade for use in the regular or click blade holders. Plus, you also get the engraving tool, the embossing tool, the etching/distressing tool, and the pen tool that has different inserts that allow you to accommodate almost any size pen. About the only tool not included is the punch tool and insert. It's a great deal in that it saves you about $55 if you bought all the tools separately. The click blade holder and the detail blade holder alone would cost you about $76 and then you would still need to buy the additional blades for at least the detail blade holder. Plus, they slip it in with your initial purchase of the machine so you don't have to pay any additional shipping.

Good luck in your decision.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » September 2nd, 2015, 9:09 am

Wow Melanie - great answer. Thank you for all of the detail.

I will just add that I was not coming from a Cricut (well maybe 4 machines previous but we didn't have a long relationship! :shock:) and I love the click blade holder. It is my holder of choice because I have the versatility in one holder and can easily adjust my blade if I need to. Some use it to cut vinyl at 1, cardstock at 2 or 3 - just depends on your comfort level and user preference.

I have been able to get some amazing cuts with just the regular or click blade holder. We have users who love the detail blade holder for everything. There are no strict rules. A lot depends on the design you are cutting, the material you are cutting and what gives you the best results. If you are going to cut a lot of different materials and your designs are detailed, you may want all the holders and as Melanie said, you will save money getting the Gotta Have It All kit.

You can also go through the Masterpieces section and see what people have cut with different blades and also go to http://www.silverbulletcutters.com to see more items cut and videos showing the machine in action, if you have not done that already.

Good luck!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby scrappydew » September 3rd, 2015, 6:53 pm

I also wanted to point out that if you're interested we had a webinar showcasing all the cool stuff you get and what each tool could be used for.

"If you always wait until the last minute... then it only takes a minute"
http://www.scrappydew.com
scrappydew

Postby Mintx » September 16th, 2015, 11:51 am

MeFlick wrote:
Mintx wrote:Hi,

Yes, the Silver Bullet ships with the standard blade holder and comes with a 45 and a 60 degree blade "out of the box".

The difference between the blade holders is to my understanding the Standard Blade holder is the one that ships and it allows very "minute" adjustments to be made to the blade. There are no "predetermined", marked settings to be used. The Click Blade holder was developed for those use to a Cricut or Silhouette type machine that used blades with numbered markings on them for "clicking" to the next preset adjustment space. The click Blade holder has preset, numbered places to click to when setting your blade. It has less ability to make minor adjustments to fit the media. The detail blade holder is more like the Standard Blade holder in that it does not have "preset" numbered spots to click to. You can adjust it in very minute settings to get the best fit to your media. It was designed primarily for cutting very detailed, very intricate cuts that a user may find is not cutting as well with the other regular blades and holders. (However, I have one and have never really used it - I get pretty small, intricate cuts with the regular blades and holders.) Some people prefer the Click Blade holder - usually because they are used to the other style machines I noted and the ability to "click" to the next stop. It is not necessary to have more than one, it is what you think your preference might be. Some people get multiple blade holders and keep one type of blade in it and just switch out blade holders rather than blades in the holder as the need for a different blade occurs (i.e. one holder with a 45 degree blade, one with a 60 degree blade, etc.)

Yes, the detailed blade holder uses blades with a spring and the regular blade holder and the click blade holder uses blades without springs. I cannot tell you "why" the spring or its role in the process however. What I can tell you though is IF you are using that blade holder and blade and are putting it together or changing it out - work over a soft white cloth and don't let that spring get away! I have seen lots of people loose their spring when they failed to do that! They just seem to "spring" away. ;)

You don't "need" anything more then what is in the box to start with. Whether you "want" more is reliant upon many factors. Do you plan to want to cut very detailed, highly intricate cuts - if so - you might consider having the detailed blades and blade holder to try if you aren't getting the cuts you want from the regular blade holder and blades. Are you coming from a Cricut/Silhouette style machine where you are used to being able to "click" to a preset number and feel more comfortable with that method? If so, then you might want to get the Click Blade holder. If not, then the functionality of the Click Blade holder may not be as important to you and you might want to start with the regular blade holder and learn from the start how to properly adjust the blades in the holder as this gives you much better overall control on the setting of your blade then a Click Blade holder does.

If you are a newbie and getting a machine - I would highly recommend that you get extra blades and a mat or two to start with. As we all learn the machine - we go through blades much more quickly in the beginning and sometimes cut through a mat :o (yes, most all of us have done that at some point.) Nothing like trying to work and finding that you have to wait because you need a new blade because you chipped the only one you have. :cry:

Now, if you are one of those people that wants to be able to do it ALL with your machine, then I would highly recommend that you look at the "Got to have it All" package if you can afford to add it to your initial purchase (I understand that not everyone can afford to do this however. Many are just happy to be able to get the machine initially). This is packaged and sold to be sent with your initial purchase of the machine. It comes with the click blade holder and the detailed blade holder as well as the 45 and 60 degree detailed blades for the detailed blade holder. It also comes with a 30 degree fabric blade and a 60 degree plus long shaft blade for use in the regular or click blade holders. Plus, you also get the engraving tool, the embossing tool, the etching/distressing tool, and the pen tool that has different inserts that allow you to accommodate almost any size pen. About the only tool not included is the punch tool and insert. It's a great deal in that it saves you about $55 if you bought all the tools separately. The click blade holder and the detail blade holder alone would cost you about $76 and then you would still need to buy the additional blades for at least the detail blade holder. Plus, they slip it in with your initial purchase of the machine so you don't have to pay any additional shipping.

Good luck in your decision.

Thank you for clear explanation! It is very informative. Thank you for taking time to give such a long reply. I must say the community here is very warm and willing to share. :D

I think I will get the click and some extra blades for now. =P
Last edited by Mintx on September 16th, 2015, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mintx

Postby Mintx » September 16th, 2015, 11:52 am

Gigi wrote:Wow Melanie - great answer. Thank you for all of the detail.

I will just add that I was not coming from a Cricut (well maybe 4 machines previous but we didn't have a long relationship! :shock:) and I love the click blade holder. It is my holder of choice because I have the versatility in one holder and can easily adjust my blade if I need to. Some use it to cut vinyl at 1, cardstock at 2 or 3 - just depends on your comfort level and user preference.

I have been able to get some amazing cuts with just the regular or click blade holder. We have users who love the detail blade holder for everything. There are not strict rules. A lot depends on the design you are cutting, the material you are cutting and what gives you the best results. If you are going to cut a lot of different materials and your designs are detailed, you may want all the holders and as Melanie said, you will save money getting the Gotta Have It All kit.

You can also go through the Masterpieces section and see what people have cut with different blades and also go to http://www.silverbulletcutters.com to see more items cut and videos showing the machine in action, if you have not done that already.

Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your own experience! I will look at the kit!
Mintx

Postby Mintx » September 16th, 2015, 11:55 am

scrappydew wrote:I also wanted to point out that if you're interested we had a webinar showcasing all the cool stuff you get and what each tool could be used for.

Hi! Thanks for sharing! I have seen the videos!
Mintx

Return to General