HELP! Sudden Loss of Pressure

HELP! Sudden Loss of Pressure

Postby hipresto » August 28th, 2015, 9:32 pm

So, I just got my cutter this week. Been working fine - testing cardstock, writing...all the fun stuff.

Problem is, between one cut and another today, my cutter stopped cutting through the stock I have in it. Literally...one cut fine, since then, no pressure will cut through.

For info: 110# cardstock, well adhered to brand new mat. 60 degree blade, slightly over 1 mm showing on regular blade holder. 200mm speed, 90 pressure. It was working beautifully - all the detail, and no visible scoring of the mat.

Now, even 150 pressure cuts the same as 25 - it's like the pressure isn't working at all. It is the same from SCAL or from the front panel with the test box. I already tried the factory reset.

Of course, I am working on a large project for a client, and was ready to go with the production run this weekend, having worked out the kinks, only to have this happen!!

Please, please. Any help would be welcome.

SB Pro 24".

Thank you,

-HiPresto
hipresto

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Re: HELP! Sudden Loss of Pressure

Postby Gigi » August 28th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Of course we always recommend that you not try to learn the machine with an order pending as that puts undue pressure on you..... but here you are. :( My first thought is that the blade holder might be slipping. Are you sure it is secure in the clamp and isn't moving? If you have been trying different blades and tools, it would be easy to not get the clamp quite tight enough while switching in and out. I would try that first. I am crossing my fingers that it is that simple. I don't think I have ever heard of the pressure changing like that.

Are you using the machine to set the pressure? If so, be sure you don't have the "use the software " box for speed and force as that will override any setting you have on the machine. If nothing else works, be sure you have the use the software to set the speed and force unchecked and set the pressure on the machine and see if that makes a difference. There have been occasions when the software settings do not hold.

I hope one of those things help. Let us know.......
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby hipresto » August 28th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Checked blade holder... couldn't be more secure. Tried pressure from hardware and from software.

What bothers me the most is that changing the pressure and trying to cut the test rectangles from the front panel doesn't cut through now.

I am well versed in all manner of plotters, printers, etc. Took a gamble on the SB playing nice. And it did perfectly well for the last 5 days. Now. .. not so much.

I guess I'll try the 60 degree detail blade in the morning. I'm just too depressed right now.

Thanks for the reply.

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » August 29th, 2015, 12:01 am

Have you tried putting a new blade in? What kind of material are you cutting? I have never heard of the pressure just changing without it being a setting off or something not secure. I don't recall ever hearing of the machine just losing pressure.

And you are sure the blade is not slipping inside the holder? Which holder are you using? How have you been setting the pressure - on the machine or with the software? You are sure the box is unchecked and you are changing the right thing. I understand you are familiar with plotters, etc - just trying to imagine what it could be. And you are sure you did a factory reset?

Did anything else change between the one cut that was good and the next that wasn't? Will keep thinking........

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » August 29th, 2015, 8:32 am

You noted in your first post that you were cutting 110# cardstock with the regular blade holder and using a 60 degree blade. My first question is why are you using a 60 degree blade to cut regular cardstock? You really don't need that blade. The 45 degree blade would be the recommended one for regular cardstock. You mentioned you would try the 60 degree detail blade today - again, I would not go to that blade but use the 45 degree blade.

This sounds more like a blade problem rather than a pressure problem with the machine. Did you check what depth the blade holder its self is setting down in the clamp? Sometimes people don't get it down far enough and suddenly have issues where it is no longer cutting. Also, have you been using the same blade all the time when it was cutting good and then when it quit cutting correctly or had you already switched out blades at all anywhere in the process? I would also highly recommend that you check the blade tip under a magnifying glass with good light and see if you have blunted or broken the blade. (Easily done - especially on the more pointed blade tips like the 60 degree and 60+ blades - can be done in any manner of ways including it bumping the edge of the mat when moving it into place to set origin for example and the user not realize it.)

Another thing to check is to make sure that there is nothing caught up in, or around the blade in the holder to prevent it from moving and swiveling correctly in the holder and make sure that it is seated correctly in the holder. Check and see that the blade goes in and out of the holder correctly. Make sure that you have the blade holder and all of its parts and pieces that twist and turn locked down well and they are not loose.

I would start there - check the blade holder, make sure nothing is loose, make sure there is nothing caught up in it, that it is setting down correctly in the clamp (and you have used the setting tool to set it the correct distance from the paper and mat) and check the blade to make sure no chips or broken or anything. Once You have checked all of that - let us know. Only after doing all that - would I then go to a new blade and try again if needed but I would start with a 45 degree blade if you have one.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby hipresto » August 29th, 2015, 11:49 am

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will answer the questions in turn, and then go carry out your directions.

Gigi: I have not tried a new blade yet. Nothing changed between the good cut and the rest. It was the same paper, same blade, same everything - hadn't even repositioned the paper. The blade seems secure in the standard holder.

MeFlick: I used the 60 degree blade becuase that's what I thought I had to use. I had read through alot of forum questions and that seemed like the blade of choice for the cardstock I'm using. I do have a 45 degree, so I will try that next - though that doesn't explain why it stopped working.

The blade holder has a collar on it that prevents putting in past a certain point. With the blade protruding 1 mm, the collar is just a hair above the stopping point on the clamp. It is the same as the first time I loaded the blade.

I have used the same blade since the beginning. Again, I cut one pattern, reset the origin, and cut another. Only after I tried to get those off the mat did I realize that the one cut through and other didn't. Nor did any since then no matter the adjustments I have made.

I unscrewed the blade holder completely, and there was nothing in the barrel. Putting it back together, I do notice that when I press on the plunger, it sticks sometimes when fully depressed...could that be a problem?

I will find a magnifying glass and check the blade. I will also reset the machine once more and disconnect the computer to test - just to make sure there's no ghosts in the machine.

And finally, I will try the 45 degree blade.

Thanks for all your help. I will let you know in the next couple of hours what's happening.

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » August 29th, 2015, 11:59 am

So I am assuming you are using the regular blade holder? It should not be sticking , so I wonder if that is the problem. Do you have another blade holder you can try just to eliminate the possibilities. Don't think I have heard of it sticking either so maybe while you are checking the blade, take it out and wipe it off (just be careful). Again, don't recall hearing of a sticking issue ever. Do you have a click blade holder? I would definitely try that just to see if it is as simple as the blade holder.

The blade issue (which one) is pretty much user preference although we have guidelines on the blades - some , like me, use the 45 degree for almost everything. Some love the 60 degree more. Some use both equally.

I would definitely switch out the blade holder, if you can, and see what happens. Let us know...

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » August 29th, 2015, 12:19 pm

hipresto wrote: . . . Nothing changed between the good cut and the rest. It was the same paper, same blade, same everything - hadn't even repositioned the paper. The blade seems secure in the standard holder. . . . Which would make you think something happened to the blade - broken, shifted, blade holder moved up, etc.

MeFlick: I used the 60 degree blade becuase that's what I thought I had to use. I had read through alot of forum questions and that seemed like the blade of choice for the cardstock I'm using. I do have a 45 degree, so I will try that next - though that doesn't explain why it stopped working. As Gigi noted - which Blade is in the end somewhat of a user preference - however - the 45 degree is for regular cutting in general including regular cardstock. I cut 110# cardstock with a 45 degree blade all the time. The 60 degree is for thicker materials in general

The blade holder has a collar on it that prevents putting in past a certain point. With the blade protruding 1 mm, the collar is just a hair above the stopping point on the clamp. It is the same as the first time I loaded the blade. I understand that, HOWEVER, my point was not that it could be too low - it is that it could be too high and it is possible for it to shift/push up higher in the clamp when cutting if it is not seated correctly. That was what I was trying to point out to check.

I have used the same blade since the beginning. Again, I cut one pattern, reset the origin, and cut another. Only after I tried to get those off the mat did I realize that the one cut through and other didn't. Nor did any since then no matter the adjustments I have made. Thanks - that is important because that would also lend me to think that something happened to the blade then since it is the same one that was cutting fine for you for 5 days. Quite possibly it was broken at some point or damaged in some way and this would in fact cause your issue - suddenly not cutting any more.

I unscrewed the blade holder completely, and there was nothing in the barrel. Putting it back together, I do notice that when I press on the plunger, it sticks sometimes when fully depressed...could that be a problem? Yes, it could be a problem if it is not depressing correctly when it goes to cut. There can be an issue with a blade holder.

I will find a magnifying glass and check the blade. Definitely do this to make sure the blade is not broken, bent, or chipped, etc.

I will also reset the machine once more and disconnect the computer to test - just to make sure there's no ghosts in the machine.

And finally, I will try the 45 degree blade.

Thanks for all your help. I will let you know in the next couple of hours what's happening.

-HiPresto.

See Replies/notes added to the Quote in bold. Also wanted to add that I have been using cutting machines for almost 10 years now (wow, hard to believe!) and I have never seen one that was "losing its pressure settings". Typically the problem is something with the blade, the blade holder, user error, that causes the problems like you have indicated that is why it is important to always start with the basics and rule them out before assuming there is something more dire wrong. Only after eliminating the basics should we look further for something highly unusual with the machine in a case like this.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby hipresto » August 29th, 2015, 12:52 pm

OK. This is what the good cuts looked like before all the trouble began:

Looked at the 60 degree blade under magnifying glass. Perfect point, perfect edge. No blade problems.

Then, I tested the 45 degree blade. Had to get it up to 100 to cut through (where 90 did just fine on the 60 degree blade when it worked). No worries yet.

The test boxes all had the same problem, though; chads on the lower left corner as you look at the machine. No matter what force.

So I tried to cut a pattern from SCAL. Had to get it up to 110 to cut through at all...much of the detail was scumbly on the top layer of the paper. Cut through most of the pattern. 936 934

Turned up the force to 120, just to see. Didn't cut through AT ALL.

So, I've removed the blade holder, and as noted before, when you push the plunger, is sticks sometimes, with the blade protruding further than I set it. VERY slight pressure with a piece of the cardstock pops it back down. I cannot think this is good.

So, what say ye now?

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby hipresto » August 29th, 2015, 1:03 pm

So, out of desperation, I unscrewed the blade holder again. I noticed when I inserted the 45 degree blade, that it didn't go in very easily. And sure enough, there was a pronounced 1/4" or so of sticky, grindy passage as the blade shaft was moved in and out of the holder. I know this is not supposed to be that way, so I carefully worked the blade back and forth in the holder, until the friction lessened. There seems to be no more sticking when the plunger is pushed.

I am going now to do some more test cuts with both blades, and see what happens. Any other thoughts in the meantime would be most welcome.

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » August 29th, 2015, 1:54 pm

Just want to comment on the chad. When you use the test button you will always have a chad. That's just how it is set. Not a concern.

Based on your last post I am more convinced than ever it is the blade holder - it should not be sticking. since you didn't comment on trying another blade holder, I am assuming you don't have one to test. Sherri can get a new blade holder out to you on Monday. Just send her an email (sherri@silverbulletcutters.com)

In the meantime, you may have cleaned up the blade holder. Let us know - but you should still receive a replacement. Again, have never heard of a machine losing pressure or even a blade holder sticking. But hoping that it is the blade holder, that is easily remedied.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby hipresto » August 29th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Yeah, it still seems funky. How securely is the magnet supposed to hold the blade? If I let the blade tip touch the surface of the cardstock on the spacer while positioning the holder in the clamp, sometimes it will pull out of the holder when I lift up the holder!

I'm gonna run some more tests, but will send an email to Sherri right now.

Thanks.

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » August 29th, 2015, 2:05 pm

The magnet should hold the blade holder stronger than that - I have to pull to get my blade out. You definitely need a new blade holder.

Did you happen to purchase the gotta have it all kit? Would love for you to try the detail blade holder and blade just to see what happens. That would determine if it IS the blade holder, although everything you are saying leads me to believe that.

I will talk with Sherri as well.. sometime this weekend. She is busy with family issues, but we will connect.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby hipresto » August 29th, 2015, 2:08 pm

I didn't get the GHIK, but I did get the detail blades and holder. I will try those now.

Thanks so much for all your help!

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby hipresto » August 29th, 2015, 2:51 pm

So, I tried the detail holder with the 45 degree blade. First off, there seems to be a trend here. Trying to get the blade in the holder, I noticed that the blade would not fit through the hole in the brass inner fitting. with or without the spring. Subsequent pushing revealed that there must have been grit in the tip of the brass...it finally pushed through with reluctance. A bit of maneuvering, and it cleared the grit.

So, blade loaded and adjusted, I did some test cuts. Does the detail blade require that much more force than the regular blades? And should you have to put more force for cutting from SCAL than the test square? I got a full cutout of the test square at 150. I couldn't get it to cut through with anything less than 180 force from SCAL! And even then, a couple of the lines didn't cut through. And yes, I am brayering VERY well.

Gigi, I am in Woodland Hills. I notice you are in Southern California, though I don't know where. Could we meet at a Starbucks so I could show you what's going on? The current cardstock is Stardream cover.

Thanks again for all your help.

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » August 29th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Well now that I know you are cutting Stardream cover that helps because I cut the cover and text weight a lot, but prefer the text weight because it is much easier to cut. The cover can be tough. That being said, I cut that particular card stock at about 85 most of the time. There are a couple of colors that are more difficult to cut - but I never wrote down which ones :(

I am a bit confused - have not heard of grit in the blade housings before - not ever. And no -whatever you are using to make a test cut is the same force you should use in SCAL.

Which driver did you download? Did you use the drivers in SCAL?

Yes I am in So CA but two hours south of you so not convenient at all. Sorry. I understand what you are saying. I just don't get it. I took my 45 detail blade apart (which I hate doing because I don't want to lose the spring!) and there is always some resistance in putting it through - it's just a tight fit and it has to be positioned just right to get it in the right spot. I am not sure you are clearing grit - it has to be in the perfect spot. The detail blades are the most difficult to position...

Again, the Stardream cover can be tough to cut. It is beautiful card stock, but I try not to do anything detailed on it, not because the machine cannot handle it, but because of the makeup of the cover itself. That is why I use the text weight Stardream for any detail - and I use that for a majority of my projects.

Are you just cutting simple shapes? Just curious. I don't have a quick answer on why things are shifting between your test cut and your shape cut. I don't think I have ever had to change something from a successful test cut unless it was error on my part - not well brayered, adhesive not as strong, etc.

Perhaps someone else has some thoughts.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby hipresto » August 29th, 2015, 4:44 pm

And I cut it successfully with 90 force, but now it won't cut with that. That's why I'm worried.

It wasn't just a tight fit, it wouldn't fit at all. I had to really push, and finally it pushed out a little bit of what I assumed was polish or metal filings. After that, it fits.

Look up in my earlier post - the name is what I am trying to cut. And again, it did cut, as you can see, but now it's not. And I can see why you use the text weight - though my tests on the text weight of other pages showed that getting them off the sticky mat was a major headache. One page sheared off, and left a little lint behind.

Installed the driver included with SCAL.

Thanks for staying with this!

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » August 29th, 2015, 4:55 pm

I knew what you WERE cutting when you started, but didn't know now if you were trying to cut just simple shapes while testing or more complicated. Honestly I would test cut just simple shapes and not try anything more complicated until this is figured out. I don't know what else to say.

And there is no issue getting text weight paper off the mat - just use a small spatula or similar tool to release the paper from the adhesive mat. You never want to just lift any material from the mat - even the cardstock can rip that way. But if you release it around the edges and then slowly lift it off you will not have an issue. I have even cut and pulled tissue paper off - not my favorite thing to cut, but my point is that it can be done and not be an issue - just takes a gentle hand and loosening the material.

I don't know what else to say. Am at a loss. And I will be unavailable the rest of the day, in a bit, but will check later and tomorrow.

Humor me one more time - I am going to assume, since you have the detail holder, that you got the Gotta Have It All package. Please put the regular 45 degree in the click blade holder and see what happens when you do that. It is my blade holder of choice. Again, it isn't going to explain why this is happening, I just want to see what happens when you use that. I keep it on 1 for the Stardream, but you can adjust it accordingly if you need more blade. All of the blade holders cannot be faulty - it just has never happened - so want to at least find something that works. This isn't making any sense to me.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby hipresto » August 29th, 2015, 5:21 pm

I didn't get the Gotta Have it All...I guess I didn't think I hadta have it all?!
'
'But I do have the detail blade and holder, and I have a 45 degree blade, which also took so much force to cut, that it's looking more and more like it may be a combination of things. I don't have the click blade holder. I too am going to have to give up for the afternoon, but will be back at it this evening sometime.

:banghead:

-HiPresto.
hipresto

Postby Gigi » August 29th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Perplexed.......... and darn.

I am going to email Dawn and ask her to please look at this when she has a minute. She is "on the other side of the pond" so it will be later tonight til she is up again - probably......

Feel like I am missing something but I don't know what.......

Gigi
Gigi

Next

Return to General