110# Cardstock, Force & Velocity

110# Cardstock, Force & Velocity

Postby everythingpaper&more » August 21st, 2015, 5:04 am

Good Morning, Newbie here learning to love my new Silver Bullet. I have read many of the forum entries and also obtained Penny Duncan's cutting guide. I am trying to figure out best force and velocity settings for cutting regular cardstock. Penny's document suggests settings of Velocity = 700 and Force = 100 and extra passes should be no. I used these settings but I have to repeat each cut. I have increased my force to 150 and still do not get clean cuts without having to repeat each cut. I get perfect cuts if I use Force = 100 and repeat, but do not want to have to repeat each cut. Please advise best way to obtain clean cuts on regular cardstock without having to repeat each cut. Thanks--Maggie
everythingpaper&more

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Prof

Re: 110# Cardstock, Force & Velocity

Postby MeFlick » August 21st, 2015, 6:48 am

Hi Maggie and welcome to the Forum and to your new SB. Any "suggestions" on cutting settings including Penny's guide are simply that, suggestions as to where one might start to try to cut similar type media. However, they are just that, suggestions, because everyone's going to find that what works for one person, doesn't always work for another - just as you found here. There are way to many variables to each machine, user, and setup with these machines to make any "one size fits all" guidelines.

How far you have your blade extended, how far you have your blade holder set, which blade you are using, which mat you are using (some use other mats besides SB mats that they might have laying around from other cutters for example), your environment in general and the changes from day to day and month to month (humid, not humid, etc.) as well as the actual brand of cardstock being used can impact the settings needed for you to cut to your machine. What I use - may be totally different then what others use.

So, first - what cardstock are you trying to cut? Some are much more fibrous then others - and some just don't cut very well at all no matter the settings used. Some may indeed take 2 cuttings to cut through, etc. For example, most people say that Stampin Up paper is harder to cut. Some say they can't get good cuts with Walmart's Georgia Pacific cardstock, but I do and that is what I use all the time when I am cutting white or doing a "print and cut". My settings that I use in general for HTV and regular vinyl are significantly less then what most people say that they are cutting with. Same is true for my cardstock settings usually. I don't think I have ever used a force of 100 or more on regular cardstock. Is it humid where you are right now? Lots of rain? (We have had lots and lots of rain the past week and very humid - all that can add moisture to your cardstock. Some people say they have to dry out their cardstock when it is very humid in their area in order to get clean cuts.

The best way to obtain clean cuts on any media is to do "test cuts" until you find the settings that work for you. Then write them down and note the media and use them as "starting points" for that media when using again. But know, even then - you will possibly have some variables that will require some adjustments from those settings from time to time. For example - new blade, new mat will usually require less than old blade, etc.

I would recommend that you check your blade for nicks BUT, since you say you can get a clean cut with force of 100 and repeating the cut I will figure that your blade is probably fine. Its also always a good thing to check your blade and holder for scraps of debris that can get caught up in and around it.

If, you are getting perfect cuts with a force of 100 and then repeating the cut, you might try a force of 200 with no repeat and see what that does for you.

If you give us more details on your setup, cardstock, blade being used, humid, not, etc. someone else may have some other helpful tips to offer.
Last edited by MeFlick on August 21st, 2015, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » August 21st, 2015, 9:27 am

Melanie pretty much said it all. None of us can give you your perfect force because of all of the reasons she listed. Let the test cut be your best friend. My guess is that your blade is too high and/or your blade is not extended enough. Do you just barely feel it? Be sure to use the setting guide. I can easily get through regular cardstock but again - how high is your blade above the material and how far is it extended. Which blade are you using? If using the 45, try the 60 and see if your results are better. Some use the 60 for everything; some the 45 - user preference. I personally rarely change from the 45 degree, but that's me.

The more information you can give the better. But you should definitely not need a force of 200 to cut regular cardstock What brand are you using. I looked at my settings and I cut a variety of brands of what I consider medium weight cardstock anywhere from 50-70 just to give you an idea. Again, all are a bit different. But for smooth regular cardstock, 200 is excessive. (Melanie gave you great tips on humidity as well. I am in CA so it is so dry here that I forget about humidity!) :(

Again - check your blade holder height, blade length and distance between the tip and the material. Use the setting guide. And be sure your material is well brayered to the card stock. That will also affect your cuts. Just pushing with your hands is not enough. It needs to have good contact with the adhesive on the mat.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby everythingpaper&more » August 22nd, 2015, 8:47 am

This was very helpful information and I appreciate the help. I adjusted my blade, it is humid where I live, and I am still getting perfect cuts if I repeat using force = 100. I took the advice and used the test button and was able to determine that in order to get a clean cut with the medium card stock I'm using, I need force = 170. I am hopeful that this will not stress the machine. Thanks again for all of the helpful information. Maggie
everythingpaper&more

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet Prof

Return to General