Block font suggestions----freezer paper stencils

Block font suggestions----freezer paper stencils

Postby pigtailpat » August 6th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Hello -

I am having a brain freeze, I need to create a freezer paper stencil with the letters U S A, and I want to remove the positive piece from the freezer paper so that the resultant block letter is solid, and to go over it with either lumiere or jacquard textile paint to paint these letters on fabric (does luminiere have a stiff result??).

This is for my charity quilt for the veteran's hospital. I think I have 20 blocks and the letters would only go on 2 split sides for the blocks if you understand what I mean. So I have to cut 40 USA letters (in one group) to get the stencils ready. Ideally, the painting should be done before the blocks are assembled together to form the quilt. I am about half done with assembly of the blocks (first stage assembly is done - but they have to be re-cut and then reassembled - I am on the second stage).

I guess I'm after a thinnish font, so that when the paint lays down it is not a stiff result, but it cannot be too thin, that the negative doesn't look like the letter (concerned really only about the "S" the U and A is pretty easy).

Suggestions about font and which of the two fabric paints leave a softer result would be appreciated. I've worked with luminiere in the past on paper, and it did leave a stiff result. I am considering taking some scraps and experimenting again.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Return to General