Image ripping when moving to next item to cut

Image ripping when moving to next item to cut

Postby jdbcustoms » August 2nd, 2015, 11:28 am

Hello, I am having an issue when I am using print and cut moving from one object to the next. it cuts out fine but when the image is cut out and the blade goes to the next image, it makes a small cut in the middle of the image when it moves to the next. I put a pic so you can see, any help would be great, thanks.

jdbcustoms

Cutter: prospective buyer

Re: Image ripping when moving to next item to cut

Postby Gigi » August 2nd, 2015, 12:11 pm

First of all, you JUST bought a machine and doing print and cut is something we do not recommend doing for at least a month until you learn the basics of the machine.

I don't know where your cut starts in cutting out that image, but usually when there is a cut with the blade moving from one place to another, the blade is placed too low so it drags across the material while cutting. Are you using the setting tool to get the height of the blade correct? what material are you cutting and which blade are you using?

Also, I am assuming by what you said that the cut happens not during cutting, even at the end, but when it moves. Just be sure you don't have a node there in the trace that is causing it to cut there. That happens sometimes as well so you might zoom in to your trace and be sure there is nothing there that should not be. You can always upload a file to have us look at it as well.

Again - be sure you understand all of the basics of the machine before tackling too much as it may help prevent some of the issues.

Not sure if this helped but let me know.....
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby jdbcustoms » August 3rd, 2015, 5:42 pm

Hi, yes I know I just go the machine but I wanted to try some things out which is why I bought it in the first place. I am cutting 2mm foam with a sticky back attached to photo paper. It cuts out completely fine and then as soon as it finish the image and the blade starts to move to the next image to cut out it make the tiny slice in the image. I checked for an extra node and all the lines are clean. I used the blade depth tool too and its set at the right depth. I messed with it more today and if I raise the blade too high It won't cut through the foam and it still makes a scratch in the photo paper. Do you have any other suggestions?
jdbcustoms

Postby Gigi » August 3rd, 2015, 11:58 pm

Again, I understand wanting to try some things - we all have been there, but chances are there are going to be a fair share of user errors if you just try to do things you "want" to do before you take the time to learn the machine. I assume you are printing the print and cut on the photo paper and then adhering it to the sticky backed foam. Just cutting the foam would be challenging for a new user without adding another material with a print and cut component.

You didn't answer which blade you are using or where your design starts cutting. Have you tried just cutting it on regular lightweight card stock. I would do that first to eliminate the file being an issue. (or you can draw it) . without seeing the file it's really difficult to tell, but I will continue to encourage you to not jump ahead.

If you don't want to upload the file here you can PM it to me or email it to gigi@silverbulletcutters.com

Gigi
Gigi

Postby jdbcustoms » August 4th, 2015, 2:38 am

Ok thanks I will pm you the file. I am actually using multiple files similar to the one above and it happens on everyone. I am using the 60+ long blade. Each image seems to start cutting and ending where it makes the extra cut on the belt.

Are you able to change where the image starts to cut or end on the print and cut?
jdbcustoms

Postby Gigi » August 4th, 2015, 8:43 am

That's what I was wondering....... I saw the images you sent but need the cut file - can you please PM or email both? I want to try it and see if I get the same results and also want you to please try cutting it on regular card stock. I will try it later today.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby jdbcustoms » August 4th, 2015, 9:28 am

Ok I sent the files in a pm to you. Let me know if you got them
jdbcustoms

Postby Gigi » August 4th, 2015, 10:05 am

All I have are the jpgs you sent - no cut file with the image. That is what I would really like to see.

In the meantime, please try cutting the file on plain cardstock. Will not be available for a few hours. Will check back then.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby jdbcustoms » August 4th, 2015, 2:41 pm

Ok how do I save a cut file? Save project and send to you?
jdbcustoms

Postby Gigi » August 4th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Yes - save project.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Gigi » August 4th, 2015, 6:24 pm

If you turn off the print layers and just look at the cut files as I suggested earlier (nodes and files themselves) you will see that you have a LOT of nodes. But more than that, the third cut image from the bottom has two nicks in the trace which I am willing to bet is causing your problems. It's the file, and I would imagine complicated by using a long blade in thick material "telling" it to make those cuts. The files need to be cleaned up.

Again, I urge you to please review the learning center and master simple cutting before tackling projects like this. We are all happy to help, but it's important for you to do as we suggest (for good reason) and get comfortable with the machine and the software first. These are all new user problems that can be avoided if you take the time.

You might also want to simplify the nodes.....

Gigi
Gigi

Postby jdbcustoms » August 4th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Ok I will look more at the learning center. What section should I go to first? How can I learn to "clean up the nodes"
jdbcustoms

Postby jdbcustoms » August 4th, 2015, 6:39 pm

I knew that belt had a couple bad edges but what about the other belts. Why are they making an extra random cut? Are you saying the material is too thick?
jdbcustoms

Postby Gigi » August 4th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Per Sherri - you need to start at the beginning of the learning center and go to the end - slowly.

You can do a search on the forum for cleaning up nodes . You can simplify the nodes (in the software) or literally move them and eliminate them or even do a manual trace. But there are a lot of nodes and you can see how they are on top of each other if you zoom in. Each node is a message to the machine to move there so when they are layered on top of each other, that can make for problematic cutting.

The only picture you shared is the one with the nick in it. My guess is that because you have so many nodes, the longer blade is getting stuck in some of the irregularities of the file and causing the tear. Practice getting clean cuts in lightweight card stock (easy for a new user to work with) before tackling something that has a wide variety of things that can go wrong.

Good luck.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General