Which glue?

Which glue?

Postby janrichards » July 22nd, 2015, 10:59 am

I am making books and would like to laminate the pages. Which glue do you use to adhere laminated paper to regular paper? Paper glue did not work. Thanks
Jan
janrichards

Cutter: 15" Lynx

Re: Which glue?

Postby MeFlick » July 22nd, 2015, 11:35 am

Usually laminated pages are run through a laminator machine to "adhere" to paper. Some require a "hot laminator" and others a "cold laminator". Threre are also "self sealing" lamination pouches it seems like but they have the "adhesive" already on them. You would not apply a glue to lamination products. Or not any I have ever seen or used.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » July 22nd, 2015, 11:52 am

I actually love my glue glider gun/tape for almost everything because it doesn't buckle and the hold is excellent. I have not tried glue on those particular materials but I usually have good luck with Aleene's Tacky Glue.

Just saw Mel's reply - did I misunderstand? I thought you were taking pages that were laminated and gluing/attaching them to pages in a book. No?
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby MeFlick » July 22nd, 2015, 1:21 pm

:? Good question Gigi. That's not how I read the question at all. I read it that Jan was trying to take the plan paper and glue it to the lamination its self or to glue the lamination onto the plan paper as opposed to running it through the laminator and then gliding them together. I did not read it as that she already had laminated pages that she was trying to glue but to put the lamination on the plain paper.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » July 22nd, 2015, 1:33 pm

LOL Mel - well we are covering the bases! :)

Jan - if you are trying to laminate the pages in the book, there used to be an adhesive laminate (trying to remember who made it -I used it to make bookmarks that were attached to cards all of the time) and it was wonderful. You just placed it over what you wanted to laminate, apply pressure and cut any excess away. It worked really well and had a good thickness. I thought I still had some but could not put my hands on it immediately. Probably as I clean out this craft room I will find it!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby janrichards » July 22nd, 2015, 2:02 pm

I already laminated the pages and want to glue them to the accordion spine made from cardstock. Regular glue doesn't work so I think I will try some E6000. If anyone knows of a better glue I would love to know.
Thanks
Jan
janrichards

Postby janrichards » July 23rd, 2015, 4:20 pm

E6000 does not work on laminate, beginning to think nothing will.
Jan
janrichards

Postby MeFlick » July 23rd, 2015, 4:30 pm

Jan, I have been looking (out of curiosity) I found this info. http://www.instructables.com/answers/is ... to-itself/
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Postby Gigi » July 23rd, 2015, 4:49 pm

I know the tape gun will as I mentioned earlier - I have used that and just tried it again. It is holding well.

I also just tried Aleene's Tacky Glue and I thought it was going to work but as it dried it pulled off. Am testing with a few things I have around here - will update the post if I get good results with anything...

So far the Glue Glider tape gun is holding the best. You might try photo mount spray adhesive.....

EDIT: Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive (bottle - have seen it everywhere) works. The paper is not pulling off the laminate. One more option...

Gigi
Gigi

Postby gingers » July 23rd, 2015, 10:36 pm

Jan, have you tried using Scor-Tape to adhere them?
gingers

Cutter: cougar 18"

Postby janrichards » July 24th, 2015, 8:19 am

I tried the Scotch Quick dry and it pulled off after it dried, I think I will try the carpet tape, not sure what "household goop" is and I don't know what Scor-tape is either. I will try my tape runner but I haven't found anything in my stash that works so far. Thanks for all the assistance, I will try several of the things mentioned.
Jan
janrichards

Postby gingers » July 24th, 2015, 9:10 am

Scor-tape is like red line tape. A stronger version of a tape runner.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29200639?wmls ... 91&veh=sem
gingers

Cutter: cougar 18"

Postby Gigi » July 24th, 2015, 9:55 am

How interesting - mine stuck fast and won't pull off at all! I think the Scor Tape is a great idea.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby janrichards » July 24th, 2015, 1:00 pm

I went to the hardware and a guy there recommended "Contact Cement" used for putting laminate counter tops down and I bought the carpet tape so the experiment continues!
Jan

PS The contact cement was a no go but I think the carpet tape will work! I still want to get some scor-tape and try that but at least I have an option now!
janrichards

Postby janrichards » August 1st, 2015, 6:33 pm

These are the books I have been making. The envelopes have been laminated and then cut open. There is also one on each end. They can be used to keep receipts, or recipes, or photos, or whatever else you need them for. They are pretty quick to make but if you laminate the envelopes the only thing I found that would adhere them was carpet tape. I am planning to make more as Christmas gifts and have already used this format to make two baby journals.
Jan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
janrichards

Postby Gigi » August 1st, 2015, 6:53 pm

Those turned out SO nice, Jan. I am glad you found something that worked for the adhesive. Super clever idea and so versatile.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » August 2nd, 2015, 8:40 am

I agree Jan, they look great. Glad the double sided carpet tape worked for you. May have to look for some to add to my stash of tools.
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Return to General