About to be bald - can't get this HTV vinyl to cut

About to be bald - can't get this HTV vinyl to cut

Postby erbson » July 13th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Please help. I need a starting place to cut white HTV siser easyweed. I don't know which blade or holder to use. I was using the 45 degree detail blade with the detail holder and getting great results kiss cutting regular vinyl. I got my design to cut once. Now, one side cuts completely through the backing and the other side does not. I am using the large mat. The edges are curled up a bit but the mat looks flat. I don't know where to start. I have used this blade for quite awhile and cut a lot of regular vinyl so maybe it is dull and when I change the amount of blade poking out then I cut through the backing. Going crazy! Please give me a starting place cuz I am almost out of HTV for this project and I have to ship tomorrow.
erbson

Cutter: Silver Bullet 24"

Re: About to be bald - can't get this HTV vinyl to cut

Postby Gigi » July 13th, 2015, 7:57 pm

As you will see if you do a search for HTV, there has been much conversation about it and it IS more difficult to cut . Be sure it's not the design - check to be sure it cuts well on copy paper , for example, if it is something you have not cut before. That will help you not waste material that you need.

Did you do a test cut on the HTV? HTV is totally different than cutting vinyl and most recommend the 60 degree blade as the vinyl is thicker AND you need a higher force.

Suzan suggests cutting from the back side (after you mirror the image) because there is a clear coat over the HTV - here is one of the more recent discussions on that. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5654&p=93618&hilit=HTV#p93618
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Suzan » July 13th, 2015, 11:22 pm

Yes you have to mirror and cut from the back. I haven't successfully cut HTV without the mat. I believe it has something to do with the slickness of the carrier sheet on top.
Also you have to make your force quite abit more. For instance if I cut normal vinyl at 17, My HTV will be in the 20's easily. Glitter HTV even higher. I will also pause the machine and make sure it is cutting properly by lifting a corner to see what happens. Also remember since you are mirroring you reverse weed. I usually print a picture of the file in the mirrored image so I can see what needs to stay and what needs to go.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Suzan » July 13th, 2015, 11:23 pm

Ps don't extend the blade more, increase the force. And use the test button thru the software. Even on scraps you have already gone thru.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » July 13th, 2015, 11:37 pm

Thank you Suzan - I knew you were probably the most experienced one to address this - at least as far as I know. Thanks for your help!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby MeFlick » July 14th, 2015, 7:17 am

I have had plenty of experience cutting HTV over the years of owning my BC cutter. Its the primary reason I got my cutter as I was doing a lot of team shirts for travel sports teams. I have cut hundreds at this point and Siser Easyweed is what I have always used to do them with and white was one of the primary colors I regularly used as it was a primary color to several of the teams. Cutting white would be no different then cutting any of the other colors in my experience. Like Susan, I always have cut my HTV with a mat on this cutter as any design I had would usually fit on a mat and I liked the "extra support" that the mat provided (but then, I also started out with a cutter before this one that required the use of a mat and I was used to it.) However, I do know of others who cut HTV without a mat. Again, its personal preference and what you are willing to "risk" (having to recut it).

You have to mirror the design as Susan and Gigi have noted because the clear backing is the "Carrier sheet" - you leave what you want to press on the shirt or other item on the sheet and weed (remove) the unwanted portions. You then have to "flip it" and place it on the item with the carrier sheet still on it to press. You have to do this as the HTV is too thin to weed and transfer alone. (This is where many new users first mess up with HTV - they don't realize that unlike regular vinyl there is a clear carrier sheet that you want to keep the vinyl on for pressing and they try to cut through the carrier sheet side its self.) While HTV with the carrier sheet may seem thicker then regular vinyl - the HTV vinyl its self is not very thick at all - however it is "stretchy" and is made generally from a plastic type medium which is part of what needs to be considered.

I have always used the regular 45 degree blade when cutting HTV even when cutting fairly intricate designs. I usually always use the "click" holder no matter what material I am cutting as I prefer that holder generally. Typically my holder is set to have the blade out at 1 if a relatively new blade - never more than 2 even when it is an older and well used blade. I have never used a 60 degree blade or a detailed blade when cutting my HTV. I don't swap out the blade or the holder for different medium in general (even though I have them all. Too lazy perhaps!) As far as pressure (force) to use, that is somewhat dependent upon your machine, as each machine is different and how a user sets it up with the blade holder, blade depth, etc. is going to be slightly different. For example, my machine usually requires much less pressure then what many on here have posted they use with their machine and HTV. I usually use as low as 12/14 if I have a brand new blade otherwise it will cut through the backing/carrier sheet. Even with an old, well used blade I seldom go above 18/19. How old and dull your blade is will also make a difference. If you think your blade is old and well used, you might try a new blade. If you do - definitely start out with a low pressure as a new blade will take less and is more likely to cut through the backing and even your mat if your pressure is too high (yes, voice of experience). I do agree with Suzan, don't extend the blade more but increase the force slowly. Use scraps of the cuts you have already done to "test cut" a small shape or object. I prefer to do that over the "test button" - but everyone is different. I have plenty of scraps (I keep most any small size scrap that I think I can get something out of.) You also mentioned that it is cutting through one one side but not the other and that while you think the mat edges are a little curled that you think the mat looks flat. If the edges are a little curled, then the mat its self is probably not really flat. Plus how much you have "cut" into the mat will also effect the "adhesion" of material and can effect cuts so look at your mat where it is not cutting through and see how "well" it is used in those areas. You need to make sure that your HTV is well adhered to the mat - I always brayer mine down on my mat and if I am using an older/not quite as sticky mat - I will sometimes tape down the edges with some painters tape to ensure I am getting good adhesion to the mat.

Once you figure out the settings that work best with your machine, in general, they will work with that medium with very little alteration beyond some slight adjustment for the condition/age of your blade and/or mat.

Hopefully you were able to get it to cut what you needed to cut and shipped out. Now, I am going to tell you something that I know you probably "know" and that is that you should NEVER try to use a new medium and possible a new cutter under an extremely short deadline. It just adds to your frustration and issues (the voice of experience here!) If you have the project done now and have time to take a breath - do so then take time to play with any scraps that you have and practice finding the correct settings, seeing how well it adheres to the mat, if it is lifting off the mat, practice cutting and weeding on scraps so you are comfortable with doing it. The more you do with HTV, the easier it is. Cutting HTV and cutting regular vinyl are two very different animals and as they are made from different material and do cut and adhere quite differently. I actually much prefer cutting HTV over other vinyl because it adheres so well to its carrier sheet and is thus easier to weed in my opinion since regular vinyl sometimes wants to lift off its backing sheet when weeding (but then I have been doing it for years now). Order some more HTV and do some "practice" items just for fun. If you have kids, make them some shirts - if not - make them for someone else in the family or yourself so you can get comfortable with doing HTV before that next order comes in that has to be done!

Good luck. Let us know if we can help further. Let us see your "final" project too!
Go Vols!
MeFlick

Cutter: 18"Silver Bullet & More

Postby Gigi » July 14th, 2015, 9:24 am

MeFlick
What a thorough answer Mel and great advice. Having never cut HTV (you guys talked me out of it a long time ago - LOL!!) I have absolutely no experience with it. Not sure I ever really grasped the whole "carrier sheet" part - great explanation.

Thanks Mel for taking the time to walk a new user through a complicated process - that is so very clear and helpful.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mrsefs » July 25th, 2015, 9:38 am

Gigi,

With all the help you give, I was surprised to read that you don't use HTV. I liked reading Mel's detailed response as I consider myself a new SB user who is still good about using the "test" button and recording all my settings in "My Personal Guide" book that came with the machine. I printed out his response to add to my book just in case I have issues in the future.

I love HTV for projects that I would have normally embroidered but just don't have the time. Here's my latest Pinterest inspired project I applied to a ready-made bag ($11.24, couldn't sew one for that) and then created the design file in SCAL, cut and pressed on the HTV and I was done in a few hours.

Don't let the carrier sheet concept scare you. Instead, embrace the idea that it saves time as you don't have to use any transfer tape medium and you can see through the carrier sheet for ease in placement!

Happy Weedend, I mean weekend.
Kathy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrsefs

Cutter: 13" Silver Bullet Pro Series

Postby Gigi » July 25th, 2015, 9:58 am

Well Kathy - there are just so many hours in the day and I spend a lot of time out of the house volunteering, and when I am using the machine it is usually to make cards or gifts. I cut vinyl for little projects or stencils or even for use on cards, but just not into the HTV vinyl - no real use for it and no one to do it for.... I love seeing all of the projects, but I am trying not to add one more thing to my list of project ideas. Maybe it's self-preservation! :hide:

Melanie gave you some great advice. I have a notebook in One Note where I copy and paste the suggestions and help I don't want to forget. It saves me a lot of searching on here, but I still do that as well! LOL And as long as I have been cutting, I still use the test button often. It is a life saver - and a sanity saver as well!

Thanks for sharing your project. So glad you were able to get successful results. I love the saying - too cute!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby mrsefs » July 25th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Gigi,

I totally understand the desire to not add another project idea to an already full head of ideas. That is something that I'm struggling with since getting my machine. Even though I bought the accessories with the cutter I have to really be sure I want to explore them. In the meantime, it's been so great to have the SB waiting for my designs once I get them ready. Friends and family are probably relieved to see me gift them something that isn't embroidered or sewn for a change, but soon they will probably hope I run out of vinyl too . . . hmmm, or get more friends!

Kathy
mrsefs

Cutter: 13" Silver Bullet Pro Series

Postby Gigi » July 25th, 2015, 7:28 pm

LOLOL -that is too funny about the gifting.

Just glad you are enjoying what you are doing - that is all that matters! :)

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General