Skii Wax Iron for Heat Transfer Vinyl

Skii Wax Iron for Heat Transfer Vinyl

Postby CarolBly » May 13th, 2015, 10:31 am

I am really enjoying using SCAL and my Silver Bullet to cut heat transfer vinyl to decorate tee shirts for my grandchildren. I've been using both a Rowenta and a T-Fal iron with good, but uneven results. Sometimes the iron seemed to be too hot and other times not hot enough. Using an infrared heat detector I realized that the T-Fal was heating to crazy-high temperatures - helpful for professional level vinyls (needing temperatures of 305-350 degrees), but a bit scary to realize it heats 200 degrees higher than the Rowenta.
After doing some research, I'm thinking that a ski wax iron might be good for my home use, as they are designed for higher temperatures. Has anyone tried this? Pros - Cons?
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks so much,
Carol
CarolBly

Cutter: Silver Bullet Pro 24"

Re: Skii Wax Iron for Heat Transfer Vinyl

Postby Suzan » May 13th, 2015, 11:59 am

You would be better off investing in a heat press. You can find them fairly inexpensive on Ebay or Amazon. I think my Gecko was under 200.00
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Re: Ski Wax Iron for Heat Transfer Vinyl

Postby CarolBly » May 15th, 2015, 10:46 am

I like the idea, Suzan, but my space is very limited and it's already full of machines - sewing (3), machine embroidery, weaving loom, knitting device, and the list goes on. That doesn't take into consideration my books, fabric, yarn and vast collection of threads and tools.
I've ordered a ski wax iron that is under $60, and can be hung by a hook on my door. Fingers crossed it works. It arrives today.
CarolBly

Postby CarolBly » May 15th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Update - tried out the Swix Waxing Iron: T75: Tune Up. Very nice size, portable, conceptually seems to be perfect for my purpose. HOWEVER, although the wax iron has settings that will take it from 212F to 320F, it never reached 200F...much less higher.
I'm going to send this one back and try again. In the meantime, I tried my wonky T-Fal that promptly melted the plastic because it got too hot. Time to throw the T-Fal away!
CarolBly

Postby Gigi » May 15th, 2015, 3:35 pm

I just did a "little" research as I have never heard of this kind of iron and they don't recommend using it for any other application. I would think if it was good for heat transfer vinyl they would be saying that as so many people are doing that. They only recommend it for waxing skis and snowboards.

As I said, I had never heard of it so tried to see what was out there. Just don't want to see you going through a lot of expense and frustration if it's the wrong thing. I do hope you find what works for you.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Suzan » May 15th, 2015, 4:51 pm

When you press make sure you use parchment paper or something on top of the transfer. I use a baking silicone sheet.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby CarolBly » May 16th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Thank you both. I figure it can't hurt to try. I'll keep you posted. And yes, Suzan, I do use a protective layer over the designs.
CarolBly

Postby Gigi » May 16th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Please keep us posted. Good luck!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby CarolBly » May 17th, 2015, 4:53 pm

HOORAY! The replacement ski wax iron works like a charm. Doing a little happy dance as I affix designs to tee shirts.
There seems to be a wide variety of ski wax irons out there. I was careful to choose one that was rated well, with a flat plate (apparently some come with grooves), and could reach 350F.
Side note - one of the most informative/encouraging sites was one for small plane enthusiasts who use ski wax irons to shrink fabric. Who knew???
Anyway, great news for me and a great option to be considered by people with limited space.
Best regards,
Carol
CarolBly

Postby Gigi » May 17th, 2015, 5:32 pm

Great news!! So very glad it is working for you!

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General