Question About Force & Velocity

Question About Force & Velocity

Postby Kelleysbiz » May 8th, 2015, 2:10 pm

So its been a while since Ive cut with my SB 24". I wrote it my "Personal Guide" of settings that I received with my machine that I had a velocity of 460 & a force of 10 and using the click blade holder I had at 2 for cutting Oracle vinyl.
Today when testing before a project I had a terrible time getting the force & click blade holder to cut at those settings. I finally got the cutter to cut at these settings : Click Blade Holder -- 4 Force at 40 and velocity at 460.
My question is why such a huge difference on the settings? I haven switched blades or anything so Im kinda lost.

Thanks for any insight you can give me :)
Kelleysbiz

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Question About Force & Velocity

Postby Gigi » May 8th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Your blade could be dull. Did you check it the height of the blade with the setting tool. cutting vinyl can vary, but you should not need a force of 40 AND the click blade at 4. The click blade should be 1 for vinyl. I would check to be sure the blade holder is firmly in the clamp and also check the height of it as well as the blade.....

Are you cutting with a mat or without. And is it humid? The weather can definitely affect your cuts too.....
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Kelleysbiz » May 9th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Hi Gigi, I first want to let you know I really appreciate the fact that you are so ready to help me through my issues with the SB. I know if I have a problem that I can count on you to try to help :)

I knew that the settings were really off I just dont know why. I actually after I got the good cut results shut it off & did dinner & dishes & went to bed and this morning I woke up & went to cut the project I wanted to & when I did my test cut it wasnt cutting thru the vinyl I had to jack the force up to 50 before I got a good test cut & when I finally got that I hit cut on my project & it did fine for most of it but when it got to the more detailed letters kinda buggered up the vinyl a little but I think I can save it when weeding by being really careful. So I "thought" I had it "ok" but I still want to know why this is happening.

I went to take the click blade holder out of the clamp. I took the screw all the way out & still had to pull the holder up & out rather than the clamp opening to let it out that way. But,I got it out inspected the blade & it looks and sharp to me I used the magnifier to get a better look & looks good sharp no nicks or anything. So thats the point Im at right now I will go try to put the click blade holder back in the clamp & use the setting tool to check the height.

I am not using a mat and Im in Florida so yes its humid,lol. I'll give you an update as soon as I try the things you mentioned. I wish I had another 45 blade I have one that says 45 detail so Im assuming thats for something else. Was wondering though would my cricut E blade work? I have a brand new in the pkg one of those,lol.
Kelleysbiz

Postby Gigi » May 9th, 2015, 5:16 pm

The humidity could definitely be affecting your cuts and make it next to impossible to cut. If you have stored the vinyl for a while , that could be an issue too But my guess is that it is the humidity.

Yes you can use a Cricut blade to see if it's the blade. I keep some old ones in a pinch as well but don't use them for anything that really matters - they just do not last. But you can certainly try it - at least that will help you judge the current blade.

Still thinking it is the weather.... As for the clamp, you did it the right way. I remember KIm (I think it was Kim!!) having major cutting issues when the humidity hit......

And you are welcome.

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Kelleysbiz » May 9th, 2015, 10:49 pm

I'm so happy now! It was only the blade apparently. I put one of my brand new cricut blades in it and put the settings back to 460-10 & 2 & it cut like butter again! Yay! Thanks Gigi,again,I really appreciate the fact that when I come here with questions or problems I can count on you to do your best to help me! :)
Kelleysbiz

Postby Gigi » May 9th, 2015, 11:35 pm

You are welcome. There are a lot of people here willing to help. I just try to keep an eye on things when I am available. Glad that helped get you going until you can get more SB blades.

Gigi
Gigi

Return to General