Tylers Chipboard

Tylers Chipboard

Postby kate2kate » June 17th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Hi All,

I am a total chipboard failure. I can not cut it. I have tried all brands (except Tylers)and have never gotten it to cut. I just got Tylers chipboard in the mail and I would like to try it this weekend. Can you all tell me what setting you start with. And yes I know that all machines are different and it also depends on if the blade is new. But it might help me with some starting points.

Thank you!
Katie
kate2kate

Re: Tylers Chipboard

Postby Tyler » June 17th, 2011, 11:39 pm

Hi Kate! Chipboard is a tricky media! Each machine is different, but definitely remember your test cuts. You may need more than one pass and make sure you are using a sharp 60 degree blade (long plus preferred). Keep your speed low (50) and try your first pass at about 90 force. I wouldn't suggest going over 100, but rather just doing a second pass. I have found I get my best cuts when doing that and 2 passes.

Again, these are just some settings that work for me, but I hope they help you get a bearing!

Email me if you have other questions!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby kate2kate » June 18th, 2011, 6:33 am

Thanks Tyler. I always do test cuts and my speed is down to a 10. I will do 90 -100 and then do multiple passes. Are the suggestions of 90-100 for the thin chipboard or the thick chipboard. Thanks for the suggestions.

Katie
kate2kate

Postby kate2kate » June 18th, 2011, 7:23 am

Tyler - I am at 130 and 2 passes with a brand new blue (60) blade. Speed 10. on the thick chipboard. Are the above suggestions of 90-100 for the thin chipboard?

Katie
kate2kate

Postby Tyler » June 18th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Hi Katie - each machine is a little different but you are on the right track! Im not at home right now or I would test it out for ya, but If I do remember right, those numbers were for the thinner chipboard. It does cut easier than other chipboards though! I'm anxious to see how it turns out!
Tyler

Postby kate2kate » June 19th, 2011, 3:59 pm

I just can not cut it. It is not your chipboard it's me. I can not get the settings right. If I put the blade far enough out to get the test cut to cut through then when I cut the design I get such a drag I get skewing. I have tried lowing pressure and more passes. I am so frustrated. I have gone through hundreds of dollars in blades and chipboard with no success. I have even sent my machine at my cost to Dawn (I am in the US).

I bought the machine to cut chipboard and I can not get it. I may have to sell mine i just can not get it right. I am tired of crying over being a failure.

Sorry for the venting but I have been at this for 2 days since I got Tylers chipboard.

Tylers chipboard is very Nice!!! It's me who is the problem.
kate2kate

Postby Thyme » June 19th, 2011, 4:09 pm

I don't know what to say to you Katie, you know it will cut all the media you want it to from the cuts I did for you, all I can suggest is that for now forget about the chipboard and cut card. Then when some of the frustration has worn off try the chipboard again.
Did you mange to get a cut on that white board I sent you because that cuts really easily with just the one pass
Thyme

Postby kate2kate » June 19th, 2011, 4:26 pm

I did not try the white board again becuase I got tylers chipboard and I knew he was selling for black cats and I knew he could cut it. I thought I had figured out, the test cut was clean, with the blade sticking out much farther than I had ever put it. But when I tried to cut my shape I got huge skewing, I think this happened becasue I had the blade out too far, but if I pull it back in, it does not cut. Are there any pictures around that shows how far out you have the blade when cutting chipboard?
kate2kate

Postby kate2kate » June 19th, 2011, 4:37 pm

OK just tried you mat board and it cut through on 3 sides on the test cut. The sides and the back. Not sure I understand that one?
kate2kate

Postby Retta » June 19th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Okay - only because I use to do this - I may be talking of me alone, but this is what helped me. The blade was always too far out. I would hold the blade holder and blade on the edge of the chipboard. If you put your finger (and don't cut yourself - I'm not a rich woman) You should barely and I mean not hardly feel it. It always seems you should be much farther out. The other thing is to put the chipboard on your mat and pull the blade through it. It should not cut the mat. With the pressure you put on it with the machine- it will push it through.

Second, don't assume it will take too much pressure if you have your blade set correctly. do the test cut. Do it again until it is just right. I know patience isn't my strong suit, but if I am. I usually get it. Sorry if this isn't right for you, but it is what I thought of.

Good Luck!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gigi » June 19th, 2011, 6:14 pm

kate2kate wrote:OK just tried you mat board and it cut through on 3 sides on the test cut. The sides and the back. Not sure I understand that one?

Kate -

I have had test cuts like that before - usually I just have to go up with the pressure a little - I am so close - just not close enough. And I don't know why it does three sides fine but not that last front one, but it's exactly the same with mine! Just go up a little - and try again. You should get a good test cut then.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby pigtailpat » June 19th, 2011, 6:55 pm

Kate -

Number one YOU ARE NOT a failure! In the last year, working with the gazelle, I can't tell you the number of times I have been thoroughly frustrated with it. But I kept plugging on, and on, and on, until I figured it out. Some things I never figured out and just left it. There were a number of times I felt like a dunce, and I totally expect to feel this way with the cat too - as when learning something new - there are definitely issues bound to come up. Over 20 years ago, I tried my hand at quilting, and that was a complete failure. But, after we lost my brother, I said I am not leaving this earth without finishing a quilt. So I took it up again, and this time, things are beginning to click in a way that it could not 20 years ago. I want you to understand that each of us, in some way, have failed at one thing or another (no matter how much I wish I was penny duncan, I'm not her and have a hard time making flowers...). We wouldn't be human if we didn't. Failing at something is NOT THE SAME as being a failure. A person who doesn't try at all, is the failure. I promise, if it isn't now, it will be in your future that you cut chipboard. All of us here will be pulling for you and have you in our thoughts. I wish I can be right there and give you a big hug, but accept this one OK?

:bighug:

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby kate2kate » June 19th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Thank you for the suggestions and keep them coming please! Maybe if I get suggestions of what works for everyone I can take those tips into account when I go back at it. I think I have dulled my blade and sherri is out of them at the moment.

But if you have more tips to share please do.

Thank you for the help.
Katie
kate2kate

Postby Retta » June 19th, 2011, 7:03 pm

We are pulling for you!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby CaseysAngel » June 19th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Did I work with you at MTC on this once? I think I did.

if so I think your problem is that you aren't setting the blade right. Do you have a camera with video or a web cam? If you could record for us exactly what you are doing we can probably help you much better honey.
Don't give up. It'll be okay!
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » June 19th, 2011, 7:51 pm

I am with Christy - we just plain don't accept failure here so we don't want you to either. Everyone is so helpful and wants everyone else have successes.

Pat said it so well (perfectly in fact). We all have our strengths and weaknesses and let's face it - I think most of us just want things to work instantly (again that type A personality that I think rings true with a lot of us!) This takes patience and trial and error but the more you do the better you get at it - and the user errors that WE ALL MAKE become less and less frequent. And we share and we learn from each other. And we find new and easier ways to do things and solve whatever problems we encounter - it's truly wonderful!

Hang in there - grab on and everyone here will help pull you through the struggles.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Elizabeth » June 19th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Hi Katie, I have no advice for you, but wanted to let you know that you are not alone! I was (and still am) excited about cutting chipboard. My first attempt was such a disaster (I cut a test cut clean through my only Cougar mat!) that I decided just to put it away for awhile. My Cougar cuts everything else beautifully, so I am happily cutting away. Eventually, I will get brave (or desperate for a journal embellie) and try again. I'm pulling for you like everyone else!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby sherri » June 20th, 2011, 12:18 am

Kate as you know, last spring I cut over 3,000 pieces of chipboard..the same chipboard Tyler is selling. I only used two different 60 degree plus blades...BUT..I will add, I have been cutting chipboard for small albums for a LONG time...there is a trick to getting it right. I KNOW how frustrating it is to know your machine can do it and you cannot make it do it...keep reading...it will click one day!
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Tyler » June 20th, 2011, 7:07 am

Kate -

I'm sorry it is frustrating! I know the feeling, and I can not echo what Sherri said about there being a trick to getting it right. Once you have it though, it is great! Chipboard, in my opinion, is probably the most difficult thing to cut, but this chipboard will cut.

I am currently out of town, but once I get back, I will cut something and send you the exact settings i am using and see if it doesn't help give you a better ballpark idea.

From the sounds of it, you are getting skewing when you are using a high enough force to cut through it. But you can't cut through it when you have too low a force and several passes.

Each person has their own cutting preferences and each machine is different, but I found something that works for me. Doing chipboard is where I came up with the method of using a lighter force for the first pass and then upping the force and hitting repeat for the second pass. The first pass just makes a path for your blade to follow during the second pass and helps to reduce all the forces exerted by media on the blade (and thus causing skewing). (I can't remember very well, but I want to say the first pass I did was maybe 70 force and the second one I did was 90-95, but your blade depth/holder height is going to play a big factor in that as well.)

I would suggest working with the .022 chipboard for right now. When you have the .022 figured out, then work on the .030. Also, just try cutting a small circle for now - That is a very simple shape that doesn't have corners. I hope some of this information helps!
Tyler

Postby craftylady » June 20th, 2011, 8:46 am

Oh Kate I do empathise with you but I echo what everyone else is saying. I haven't tried cutting chipboard yet, but I had so many problems cutting white linen cardstock. I wasted a lot (and I do mean a lot) of my lovely linen cardstock, because I just couldn't get my cougar to cut my design out.

I had tons of suggestions from people here on the board - there are so many people (as you are probably aware) that are willing to help.........and I FINALLY DID IT. I was just thrilled.

Just try and persevere and I am sure you will get there. You are NOT a failure - you are just a person that's having a few difficulties in getting the hang of the settings of your machine. :)

I'm pulling for ya!

Valerie
craftylady

Next

Return to General