NEED HELP with cougar cutting

Re: NEED HELP with cougar cutting

Postby CaseysAngel » June 17th, 2011, 11:10 pm

oh, check the distance the blade is setting off the mat. Sounds like you need to lower it honey.
CaseysAngel

Postby Thyme » June 18th, 2011, 3:53 am

Valerie, could you send a couple of your linen card sheets to someone to test? I would normally suggest me, but it would be daft to send them to the UK cos of postage.
Also, not sure from your last post if you cut with a different blade or not. You can use those that came with the machine, they just don't last as long but it is fine to use them
Thyme

Postby craftylady » June 18th, 2011, 10:42 am

Hi Dawn: Yes, I have no problem sending some cardstock to someone. Also, yes to answer your question - I did use a different blade - but it didn't make any difference. I used a blade from my Gazelle the last time.

I have to say here that I was happy with the Gazelle but wanted the cougar because of everything I had read about it. The precision of it - and the fact that it can cut heavier materials etc. etc.

Like I said, the cardstock I usually use for cards (and I make a lot ofcards) is the white linen, so I honestly thought it would cut through that like butter. I also sometimes use a plane white cardstock (same weight as the linen) and I have tried cutting out this design on that also - but have the same results. When I use a lightweight cardstock - I have absolutely no problems - it really does cut through it like butter - but then so does the Gazelle.

Before I started with the card - I cut out several different shapes to try and get the right force and velocity - it cut out the shapes really well, so I thought I had got it right. However, as soon as it starts cutting the little shapes of the design - it pulls and drags as you can see from my photos. I have just been cutting out a square with the design in the middle (just trying to get it to cut) and it cuts out the outline (the square) just fine, but when it comes to cutting the design in the middle - it just won't cut.

Is there anyone in particular I should send this cardstock to - Christy? Rachellann? :?:

Thanks Dawn,

Valerie
craftylady

Postby Thyme » June 18th, 2011, 11:35 am

It should have no problem with the linen cardstock, but by sending to someone else we can check that it is not the card itself that is causing the problem.
As to who to send it too, I need to wait to see who volunteers.
Thyme

Postby CaseysAngel » June 18th, 2011, 12:18 pm

I'm happy to help if she wants to send it to me . I don't mind at all. Gigi did use linen cardstock though and she cut it great so I don't think it's the paper. I surely don't mind testing though if you guys want me to.
CaseysAngel

Postby rachellann » June 18th, 2011, 12:33 pm

can you tell me the brand and where you got it so I can go and get some to cut so I can be of more help.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby Retta » June 18th, 2011, 1:20 pm

I have a question as Indiana is so humid. I haven't read all the thread so please forgive me if this was suggested. Is it possible that your paper isn't really "crisp?" If it feels like it isn't try a blow drier or a heat gun (if using this be very careful not to scorch or burn your fingers or paper) to remove some of the moisture.

If it isn't that may I suggest that on your mat - after putting your paper on it, take the corner and fold over. Take your blade holder with the blade in - and pull the blade over that corner. If it cuts through the top layer and not the bottom - you know your blade depth is correct. I think it is very difficult to judge this from cutter to cutter. There have been times when I have cut after a period of not using it and set the blade depth a bit too much. And each holder is different also.

Next, after all this - do a test cut in the corner. If you are cutting into the mat too much - your paper may be tearing because of too much pressure.

I'm sorry if everyone alread told you all of this. The only other thing - is I did have a bad blade after about a year of use. I switched and it cut. Hope you have this thing worked out soon. Hugs.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby craftylady » June 18th, 2011, 1:46 pm

First off guys - oh what a morning I have had. I have been on the phone with McAfee for the last couple of hours due to a virus. Had to "hand over my computer" to them and let them ged rid of it. That was soooo frustrating - and I still have this problem with cutting. Two weeks ago I had a major computer crash - and it had to be set back to factory settings - so I had to load everything (and I have a lot of programs). What's that saying "it never rains but it pours" ugh!!!! Oh well.......take a deap breath Valerie and persevere. ;)

Rachell:

I always order my cardstock and paper from paperandmore.com and it is just listed as "bright white linen cardstock 80#" so I am not exactly sure of the brand. It isn't super heavy and really doesn't appear to have lots of fibres in it, but of course I could be wrong.

Retta - I live in Arizona - it is very dry and hot here and my paper/cardstock is definitely crisp. Good idea about testing over two sheets of cardstock though - I had to do that with the Gazelle, but never thought about this. I have done several test cuts using this same cardstock - I am also having a problem with the bright white plain smooth cardstock - just the same problem as the linen. When I do a test cut - it cuts out beautifully - no problems. It's when I go and cut out a more detailed design that I am having the problem

Now that I have the computer sorted out - I will have another at trying to cut - but I hope you all understand - I feel like oh dear, do I want to try AGAIN!!!

Once again - thanks for your help. I am sure I'll get there - I just keep thinking "when" :roll:

Valerie
craftylady

Postby rachellann » June 18th, 2011, 1:55 pm

craftylady wrote:Hi Dawn: Yes, I have no problem sending some cardstock to someone. Also, yes to answer your question - I did use a different blade - but it didn't make any difference. I used a blade from my Gazelle the last time.

I have to say here that I was happy with the Gazelle but wanted the cougar because of everything I had read about it. The precision of it - and the fact that it can cut heavier materials etc. etc.

Like I said, the cardstock I usually use for cards (and I make a lot ofcards) is the white linen, so I honestly thought it would cut through that like butter. I also sometimes use a plane white cardstock (same weight as the linen) and I have tried cutting out this design on that also - but have the same results. When I use a lightweight cardstock - I have absolutely no problems - it really does cut through it like butter - but then so does the Gazelle.

Before I started with the card - I cut out several different shapes to try and get the right force and velocity - it cut out the shapes really well, so I thought I had got it right. However, as soon as it starts cutting the little shapes of the design - it pulls and drags as you can see from my photos. I have just been cutting out a square with the design in the middle (just trying to get it to cut) and it cuts out the outline (the square) just fine, but when it comes to cutting the design in the middle - it just won't cut.

Is there anyone in particular I should send this cardstock to - Christy? Rachellann? :?:

Thanks Dawn,

Valerie

you can send it to me if you like I can try or let me know the brand and type it is and I can see if they have it close by
rachellann

Postby Retta » June 18th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Valerie - I'm so sorry! You said it - it usually doesn't just rain.

Well I'm sure there are people who are more knowledgeable than I am. I'm absolutely certain they can help you.

hugs!
Retta

Postby rachellann » June 18th, 2011, 2:18 pm

i cut using texured linin card stock with texure side down on mat smooth side up click blade 2 and
speed 190
force of 130
I broke the file hid the large retangle and then rejoined the inner peices and cut I also used a cricut mat since it was more sticky ans brayed the paper down so it would not lift.
rachellann

Postby Suzan » June 18th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Retta wrote:Valerie - I'm so sorry! You said it - it usually doesn't just rain.

Well I'm sure there are people who are more knowledgeable than I am. I'm absolutely certain they can help you.

hugs!

Dang girlie not knowledgable you said more in one post than I do most of the time (well except for being a smart aleck) great advice, I never thought of blade test or depth testing the way you do. I will have to try it. Well after I finish updating my store, very very boring process.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby rachellann » June 18th, 2011, 3:02 pm

ok here is images of what I cut and the process used spped of 190 force of 130 click on 2 and this is a thick texured linin cardstock with the texure side facing the mat and the file which I seperated it cuts the lattice first then tha circles i kept that outter retangle hiddin while I cut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rachellann

Postby Thyme » June 18th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Don't give up Valerie, you will get it.
Both Christy and Rachell have offered to cut with your cardstock, so hopefully we can figure out then problem
Thyme

Postby Gigi » June 18th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Am happy to try too with Valerie's cardstock.

I am totally puzzled that Rachellann and I have both been able to cut it on linen cardstock that sounds like it was even heavier than Valerie's. And her test cuts and outline are ok but not the inner design. I don't get it??
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Retta » June 18th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Did you say click Blade? Is it too close to the mat?
Retta

Postby rachellann » June 18th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Retta wrote:Did you say click Blade? Is it too close to the mat?

no it has been adjusted using the CD and does not even cut thru to the mat just the paper.
rachellann

Postby Thyme » June 18th, 2011, 3:50 pm

CAGigi wrote:Am happy to try too with Valerie's cardstock.

I am totally puzzled that Rachellann and I have both been able to cut it on linen cardstock that sounds like it was even heavier than Valerie's. And her test cuts and outline are ok but not the inner design. I don't get it??

thank you Gigi
Thyme

Postby craftylady » June 18th, 2011, 3:54 pm

no - I don't have the click blade - just the regular one that comes with the cougar. I am going to keep having a go this afternoon and will get back to you all.

Yes, I agree CAGigi the linen cardstock (that you and Rachell used) does sound heavier than mine. I used to have the one that sounds like Rachell's (really linen looking on one side and smooth on the other). However, paperandmore were apprently being requested to have the same texture on both sides so they went to another supplier, and whilst I don't particularly like it as much, it does have the same texture on both sides, but is MUCH SMOOTHER than the original one I had. So when I say linen, it really is much smoother than the "real" linen cardstock. I hope that makes sense :?

I have been making somewhat better cuts (my recycle bin is getting full ;) ) it isn't all cutting out yet - perseverence is the key though and I will keep on keeping on. :lol:

I did find a magnifying glass CAGigi and looked at the original blade I was using, and it looks pretty good to me.

This one is puzzling for sure isn't it?

Upward and onward................... Valerie
craftylady

Postby CaseysAngel » June 18th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Can I make a suggestion.

I agree with Retta on checking the mat. I wasn't going to post this because I didn't want you to think I didn't want to cut it for you, because Id o NOT mind, but since you are going to try again let me suggest something. I took a close look at both of your cuts you posted. I then re-cut to see exactly how MTC was cutting it. It appears to me your cut messes up in the same spot everytime, on the left side at the circles.

If your mtc is cutting it like mine, and I believe it should be, it will cut the top right circle, then skip down and cut the bottom roll, then it starts going up both sides doing one hole at a time on the left, then right, then left, etc. Yours appears to be messing up on those circles. It stops just before it cuts the triangles. I am just wondering if your mat is warped right there or if you've cut into it to deep or something. I'm not saying you did honey just a suggestion. I don't know if the it's then holding a piece in the blade or if it's causing the blade to re-adjust (especially if you don't have it screwed in all the way). Just thought I would mention it. In the first picture it's pulling them off the mat In the second they don't appear to have cut all teh way through. So it just makes me wonder if that's not where it's starting to go wrong and then it's "carrying" a piece with it for a while or what to make it finish. Even those triangles will cut like that if the mat is messed up without a piece I would think.

Here is what I mean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CaseysAngel

PreviousNext

Return to General