NEED HELP with cougar cutting

NEED HELP with cougar cutting

Postby craftylady » June 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm

If this is a double post, I apologize - I just posted and I can't see it anywhere.

Anyway I need help with my Cougar. I designed a card in MTC some time ago and have actually used the design for several cards. I needed a card for a friend so thought I would cut this one out and actually cut it out on my Gazelle before my Cougar arrived.

However, as I had received my Cougar on Tuesday - I thought I would try cutting this out. I designed another card for my husband for Father's Day and it cut out beautifully (on my Cougar) - I had absolutely no problems. Anyway I wanted a "practice run" cutting this particular card out and used a fairly lightweight cardstock that I wasn't too bothered wasting. It cut out without problems - in fact it was perfect. I was really pleased. I have to really thank Christy again here, because I viewed her video on loading the mat several times and in fact listened and then typed up all of her instructions - I follow them every time, because I still can't remember the steps yet - so thank you, thank you Christy - don't know what I would do without your videos :)

So.......I printed a design and typed Happy Birthday etc., on one side of the white linen cardstock that I usually use for cards - and it didn't cut out well at all. In fact it looks dreadful. I did several test cuts so that I could get the force right - it took a while but finally it seemed that 103 would work OK - so that's what I used.

I will attach photos so that you can see what I mean. I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with this.

The one on its own is the one cut on the Gazelle - the other two were cut using the Cougar

Thanks, Valerie
Gazelle cut.JPG
Cougar cuts.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by craftylady on June 17th, 2011, 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
craftylady

Re: HELP NEEDED

Postby LisaH » June 17th, 2011, 5:12 pm

If mine does this, first thing I always check is the blade holder/blade to see if there are any "bits" of paper lodged inside...
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby craftylady » June 17th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Yeah - that's what I thought and that's exactly what I did. I got the blade holder out and pushed the top so that I could see if there were any little bits of paper in there, but there wasn't. It was clean. So..... I have no idea why it is doing this and like I said it is so frustrating. This is the cardstock that I use all the time, so I am hoping it will cut cleanly like my other cutters do.

Thanks for the response though :)

Valerie
craftylady

Postby LisaH » June 17th, 2011, 5:24 pm

I'm sure someone with more experience than me will be along before too long and help to get you going...sorry
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Re: NEED HELP with cougar cutting

Postby Thyme » June 17th, 2011, 5:30 pm

My post disappeared!!!!

When you cut this next watch to see if a bit of the cut card is picked up on the blade, carried for a while and then dropped again - that can give the result you have. I always make sure my mat is sticky and the card is well brayed down when cutting lattice work
Thyme

Postby craftylady » June 17th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Dawn - I have cut this card out so many times, I do know what you mean. Previously I have used the Gazelle like I mentioned so I know what to look for because of all the little holes. With the Gazelle, it did often do that and I had to often clean out the blade.

However, I actually stood over the cougar watching while it cut - and I am sure there were little bits moving around. In fact it is a new mat and is still very sticky (came with the cougar) and I always use a brayer. It really was stuck down well. The other one I cut - as you can see - cut really well and ALL of the little pieces were still on the mat when I lifted that up. When I lifted the white linen one up - some of the little pieces were still attached to the cardstock - and if I pushed then it would come out. I thought about increasing the force, but I am pretty sure, that it would serve only to drag a little more. Or am I wrong?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated - because surely this cardstock would be OK to cut. In all honesty it even cuts well on the Expression (sorry, but I have to say that).

Any other ideas????

Valerie
craftylady

Postby craftylady » June 17th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Sorry - I mean, I am sure there were NO LITTLE BITS moving around. Sorry for the typ.

Valerie
craftylady

Postby craftylady » June 17th, 2011, 5:54 pm

I have done another cut using the same design - and did watch again - but there were definitely no bits moving around on the paper. I have left it on the mat and taken a photograph of it - and hopefully that will show up clear. You will see that the little circles are still intact on the mat. It has definitely cut all the way through though. I will attach it here.

I would really appreciate any help.

Valerie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
craftylady

Postby Gigi » June 17th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Valerie -

Do you want to post the file and let some of us try it on linen cardstock - or try it in general? It almost looks like the blade is chipped but I am no expert. Curious what others have to say.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby craftylady » June 17th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Yes I will post the file (it's in MTC though) I think that is a good idea. It is a brand new blade, as I have only just got the cougar, so I would be surprised if it were chipped, but have to admit I never thought of that.

Hopefully I will be able to load the file OK..... thanks for the suggestion. :)

Valerie
craftylady

Postby CaseysAngel » June 17th, 2011, 7:21 pm

I think your pressure is to high or the speed to fast. Let me get over to the cougar in a second and I'll try cutting it.

And you are so welcome for the video's honey. I keep meaning to turn them all into written tutorials as well there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day!
CaseysAngel

Postby craftylady » June 17th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Hi Christy: Hey - I wasn't hinting at you doing written tutorials as well - I just think you do a fantastic job with the videos and I am definitely a visual type of gal. It's just that I kept on forgetting lol, so I definitely needed to type them up and I have them handy when I am loading the mat and getting ready to cut. In time I know it will come second nature, but for now I just need those notes lol.

I appreciate you trying the file - and there is no rush - I do appreciate the help. My velocity was set at 100 and I tried different force - tried extending the blade a bit and used less force - and then tried bringing the blade in a bit and more force - but nothing seemed to help.

I am at a loss as to what to do now - so thanks for the tips.

Valerie
craftylady

Postby Gigi » June 17th, 2011, 7:48 pm

I just downloaded it and exported it as an svg - just because I don't use MTC to cut. Am going to find a piece of linen cardstock to try to duplicate what you are doing and give it a go!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby HappyCrafter » June 17th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Craftylady - When this happens to me, my force is too high.
HappyCrafter

Postby Gigi » June 17th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Ok - cut it and had no problems. I cut it at a speed of 50 (Dawn is gasping I know - I rarely go over 150!!) and force of 85 and it was a linen cardstock.

The pics below (forgive the angle of the camera - not straight) are: (1) what was left on the mat - there are a few little circles that moved when I pulled it off and I didn't clean it off in case you are wondering why there is a weirdly placed circle! - and
(2) the cut out on the actual card stock - again not cleaned up (sometimes I will go and smooth any little edges but I left it just as is.

The file did jump a lot - from one end to another and back again - I don't design so have no clue if that would have anything to do with it, but since it cut fine on the Gazelle I doubt it. So still am guessing it is either your blade (new blades CAN be chipped - get out a magnifying glass and REALLY look at it - Sherri taught me that one. You cannot always see it just looking at it) or the pressure was too high - and/or you were cutting too fast for the intricacy of it. Just guessing......not a pro!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby craftylady » June 17th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Thanks CAGigi - wow - that cut out great - definitely something wrong on my end then. I tried it at velocity of 80 - so I will try the 50 and a force of 85 - wow, not sure on that one as I have tried different forces (that one included) and it just didn't cut all the way through the cardstock, which begs the question - how far out is your blade?? Do you use the click blade or the one that came with the machine? I just have the one that came with the machine - but I will wait until I hear back from you as to how far out your blade is. That probably makes a big difference.

As to the blade - well I guess you are right, a new blade could be chipped. However, I only (again) have the ones that came with the machine - just haven't ordered anything else yet until I got used to the machine. However, I am pretty sure that the one from my Gazelle will work in it so will try another blade.

I don't have a magnifying glass I don't think - and when you get to my age (lol) - I definitely need these readers - may be I should try and get some heavier readers :D

Anyway thanks again - let me know about the blade and I will give it another go - I am wasting so much blooming cardstock.

Thanks - Valerie
craftylady

Postby CaseysAngel » June 17th, 2011, 8:45 pm

I cut as well honey.

using 65 lb reflections Cardstock and the settings I used are written in the picture (and I already forgot.LOL). It did wonderful. One thing i'd encourage you is to really WATCH for pieces hanging. I didn't have an issue with it but anytime I cut something with all those little circles I will pause and swipe the paper evertime I see that one has pulled up . If I can't see it then I know to check the blades. I didn't have an issue with this one though except the very first circle and I just swiped it and never paused.

I also adjusted you file by breaking the image apart and just shrinking that outside box since I was just testing it. That way it cut all the way around mine. That wouldn't affect it though of course.

I hope this helps honey.
CaseysAngel

Postby Phyllis » June 17th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Valerie, try a different blade, that happened to me and I didn't have anything but a Cricut blade and the tearing stopped so in my case it was the blade either dulled or chipped, I couldn't tell but a new blade fixed the problem.
Phyllis

Postby craftylady » June 17th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Well I thank you all, but nothing is working for me. I have tried the velocity at 50 (boy is that slow) and the force at 80, 85 and 90. It appears to be cutting quite well - ie. not tearing, but when I take it off the mat - it hasn't cut anywhere near through - so obviously a waste of time, because it just hasn't cut.

I have put a brand new blade in (albeit from my Gazelle and not one supplied by Blackcat). I will have to leave it now because for one thing I am getting hungry (ready for my supper lol) and another I am sooooo frustrated with it and just don't know what to do. I cut literally sit down and cry right now.

I notice that you use the click blade holder Christy - and I just have the regular blade holder - so not really sure how far out I should be extending the blade. I don't want to extend it too far, because of breaking it.

I want to be able to use my linen cardstock, but it just doesn't seem to be able to cut for me. :banghead:

Anyway - please know everyone that I really, really appreciate all of your suggestions and help with this. :)

I am going to turn the machine off now, turn off my computer, sit down with a cup of coffee and relax.

I will try again tomorrow
craftylady

Postby Gigi » June 17th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Darn - I posted again and lost it -and it DID say it had posted - oh well.

To try to answer your questions - I DID use the click holder and had it set on "1", but I have been able to do those cuts before I had the click holder as well.

My blade is just barely out - I mean I can hardly feel it. I tried to get a picture of it, but couldn't capture it while in the clamp. I would guess it's about 1mm, but remember I don't do well with the metric system so I could be off (Dawn is probably :ROFLMBO: at my inability to interpret metrics!) - ANYWAY...

Don't get discouraged, Valerie. I am willing to bet we have all been there. I remember having a horrible time cutting something with a relatively new blade a year or so ago and Sherri kept telling me it was the blade. And I said - No - it feels fine and looks fine. Well the eye cannot see the detail it needs to - especially these 50+ year old eyes!! So once I got a magnifying glass and really examined it - lo and behold - that was it! There was a miniscule chip right on the end of the blade!

I am hoping that the new blade you put in will help you have the cut you want tomorrow. There are enough experts here (not me!) who will help you get this figured out and you will be completely happy - I promise.

Don't despair - we won't desert you and this is all part of the learning curve. Once it's straightened out you will be ecstatic.

Sending hugs... :bighug:

Gigi
Gigi

Next

Return to General