NEED HELP with cougar cutting

Re: NEED HELP with cougar cutting

Postby craftylady » June 18th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Christy - I don't think for one minute that you don't want to cut it for me :) You sound such a lovely person - and I know you are always willing to help anyone out - and I do appreciate ANY AND ALL advice you give me. I take your advice in the manner it is given - and I know that is with friendship, so don't ever worry about offering advice to me - AFTER ALL I NEED IT :D

I do understand what you mean. I know it does go from side to side. Now.....when I was initially trying to cut it out - none of the circles would cut. Now I have been adjusting the settings quite a bit (force and velocity) it has been cutting out the circles and when I have checked the blade holder - sure enough there are little bits of cardstock stuck in the blade holder. So that is something I should keep checking on.

A question on that (because I don't want to damage my cougar). Is it OK to put it in pause mode during the cut AND TAKE THE BLADE HOLDER OUT and check it for little bits. Or is that a no no. Just really want to check on that before doing something like that.

The mat I am using is brand new - straight out of the box from Sherri - and I have checked it and it appears to be OK. It doesn't look warped or anything.

Now I am going to have a go using a Cricut mat (I just looked at your video on loading the Cricut mat) and it is a brand new one so will be very sticky. I am hoping that I will have some luck with that. It does appear to be cutting a little better - but still have some problems.

I know I will get there - I just have to be patient. ;)

Valerie
craftylady

Postby craftylady » June 18th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Don't faint everyone BUT I DID IT!!!!!!! :lol:

I used a Cricut mat - and it was very sticky. I set velocity to 135 and force at 116 (did try various different settings) and it cut it out. Wow - I know that some little bits of cardstock got stuck in the blade holder and caused one little cut to tear, but I can live with that - because I think it looks OK. Great tip about the blade Retta - and I think that did help greatly.

I did try again the blade that Sherri sent to me before my cougar arrived - just wanted to check that again and it started tearing and dragging, so there is definitely something wrong with that blade. No worries though, because I do have some blades that I used with the Gazelle.

I feel like doing the happy dance (probably wouldn't look a pretty site though ;)

Anyway I want to thank you all - and hope you won't mind if I come back again with questions because I will probably be wanting more help along the way. I don't want to be a pain, but sometimes you just need help - right?

I am going to work on the card now - finish it off and I will post it so that you can actually see that I did in fact do it.

Thank you all again. Much appreciated.

Valerie
craftylady

Postby Retta » June 18th, 2011, 5:05 pm

So excited for you dear! I'm glad I could help a little. I know sometimes those blades look okay and aren't.

And - you ask away! We all try to help as we were there once.
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gigi » June 18th, 2011, 5:25 pm

I am so happy for you, Valerie!! I know how it is to try to make something work and it just won't for whatever reason.

You may have definitely narrowed down the problem by trying the original blade again and having trouble. It takes the ultra magnifying part of the glass to see a chip and if you did get a defective one, Sherri will certainly get a new one to you.

I am just thrilled that you have had success. A lot of it in the beginning is trial and error and learning what papers need what force and it does become almost second hand after a while.

Cannot wait to see the finished product. Way to go!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby rachellann » June 18th, 2011, 5:42 pm

congrat Valerie
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby craftylady » June 18th, 2011, 5:53 pm

Thanks guys - Yes CAGigi - the blade must be faulty because it most definitely started dragging and snagging as soon as I tried it again, so that was definitely one of the problems.

I have just uploaded the finished card - please go have a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks again - CAGigi - and Rachell - appreciate your help.

Valerie
craftylady

Postby Retta » June 18th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Look where?
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby CaseysAngel » June 18th, 2011, 7:31 pm

It will NOT hurt the Cougar at all to pause and remove the holder just make sure you reset it right honey.

I'm glad you got it working for you honey.
CaseysAngel

Previous

Return to General