Embossing 65 lb paper

Embossing 65 lb paper

Postby suemcnenly » April 11th, 2014, 10:08 am

Hi all. I'm about to experiment with embossing paper. I've watched the vid, and just would like some guidance from anyone who has embossed paper similar to 65lb non-textured, Fabriano Tizziano, so I don't have to start at zero. What pressure and number of passes has anyone found useful to start from. I'm using the tiniest tip and will start with a basic shape. Any other tips or tricks that weren't in the vid would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

Sue
suemcnenly

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Embossing 65 lb paper

Postby PennyDuncan » April 11th, 2014, 10:11 am

You will find that you will not get a deep impression into the paper......as it just doesn't give the deep embossing like you see with an embossing folder.....even at the highest setting.......but you definately want to use the embossing mat that Sherri has at her store...
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby suemcnenly » April 11th, 2014, 10:13 am

Thx Penny...I'm not sure what an embossing folder is, but I'm ok with a not deep impression. I'm just looking to put my logo inside of my paper boxes, and something faint is good with me. As I mentioned, I've watched the vid, so I have the mat, etc. I'm excited to give it a try.
suemcnenly

Postby Gigi » April 11th, 2014, 10:30 am

There are a couple of products you can also try - Crafters Companion makes a "Spray and Slide" - it is a dry embossing lubricant. It works really well. And there are other similar products.

You can also try just lightly misting with water - that all depends on the paper you are using. Personally I am a fan of the dry embossing spray when I am doing something that needs a bit more "give". You can also run the embossing tip on candle wax which will help it glide more easily or beeswax.

And OMG - embossing folders are new to you?? I had to laugh only because it is clear you are a true craft artist (no offense to anyone else!!) . For those of us who make a lot of cards or do scrapbooking, they are a staple to get wonderful designs on the paper. Penny just posted a great example on her blog. Basically they are plastic folders with embossed and debossed imaged on the inside so when you put your paper in the middle and run it through an embossing machine (many varieties manual or electric with tight rollers that put pressure on the folder as it runs through) you get a paper with the image deeply embossed on it.

I hope I explained that so it makes sense. It's still kind of early here in CA and still working on that caffeine!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby suemcnenly » April 11th, 2014, 10:39 am

thanks for the explanations Gigi! Great info. I will try the dry paper first, because that's how I like to do things. I like to see why things don't work, then I often find a workaround that works for me, using the things that people suggest, and developing new methods. Re my orig question...any idea of a ballpark pressure and pass number to start with?
suemcnenly

Postby PennyDuncan » April 11th, 2014, 11:36 am

I would probably start with 200 for the force......velocity doesn't matter for this....I'd just set it to the max....800 and give it a whirl...
Have a Blessed Day...Penny Duncan
http://pennyscreativearthaven.blogspot.com
PennyDuncan

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby suemcnenly » April 11th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Thx all.
suemcnenly

Postby lctse » April 21st, 2014, 3:55 pm

For those newbies like me who were wondering how to make a deep embossing with the black cat, well you can't make it, what you will get is what I called an outline embossed that also looks nice in some medias. I recently tried my logo using vellum and the result was pretty neat.

Now, if you want a deep embossed, you can make an embossing folder using your black cat. I found this amazing video in you tube, she has a silver bullet but this is something you can also make with a black cat.
Enjoy!!

http://youtu.be/8MUe5Fwsiv4
lctse

Cutter: black cat cougar 13"

Postby Elizabeth » April 22nd, 2014, 6:28 am

Thanks for reminding me to try this! I love embossing folders, and am very excited to make my own. After easily making detailed cuts in plastic this weekend, using Penny Duncan's Kanshashi (sp?) flower templates, I am finally ready to try this out. Wish I had more time to play this week!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Return to General