Intro, Taskboard, & broken blade!

Intro, Taskboard, & broken blade!

Postby likeavirgo » June 15th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first time writing on the forums though i've read a bit over the past few weeks and I've admired how helpful everyone is within this silver bullet community!

Brief Intro - my name is Josefina, and recent owner of a 24" Silver Bullet, rolling stand, table, & gotta have it all kit. I hoped to hit the ground running once i got my machine, buuuuut i've hit a wall that has set me back just a bit, and I admit I am frustrated, and overwhelmed!

The GOOD NEWS: I quickly learned how to create my own SVG files from my own artwork/media, and also through trial and error I've figured out how to cut through card stock

The BAD news: while trying to cut through a thicker paper i've managed to break/dull my 60 degree plus blade --ON MY FIRST TRY! To be specific, I am trying to cut through this 1/16" taskboard which i believe is normally used by architects for designing small scale models (http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/taskboard.htm). The machine did cleanly cut through the board once, but it was downhill from there. It seems the force on the machine should be maxed out to 255 (i think??), but otherwise I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and i sense that there's no point in continuing to experiment with a dull blade. I just KNOW there's potential to cut through this, but other than replacing the blade i just broke, i'm not sure how to move forward from here. I've attached a photo for a view of my test runs in case that helps anyone point me in the right direction...

photo.JPG

Separately, if anyone can recommend a different material just as thick but that would be easier to cut, that would be great. I'm interested in trying chipboard, but would definitely need sizes bigger than what's offered on All That Jazz. at least 20"x20".

thank you!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
likeavirgo

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Intro, Taskboard, & broken blade!

Postby Gigi » June 15th, 2013, 2:11 pm

When cutting a thicker material , it is almost always better to use a reduced force with multiple passes. You may also have the blade extended too far - are you using the setting tool?

I am not familiar with that board but I am sure others are. If the blade is dull rather than broken, you might try some simple cuts with multiple passes adn see how that works.

And - most new users do not hit the ground running. There is a learning curve and you just have to take the time to get to know the machine and how it will cut different materials. The more you do the easier it will be until you barely have to think about it.

That is great that you are designing your own files already and cutting them - congrats.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby kim » June 15th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Well, Gigi beat me to the punch. BTW...WELCOME!!! And Congrats on your 24" SB.

I haven't tried anything of that thickness and denseness, but I would think that if it did cut the first time then you would just need to make some adjustments......lower the force and do a multi cut. This will put less pressure on the blade while trying to cut through this dense material. Also check your blade depth setting....use your tool....the little metallic square.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby likeavirgo » June 15th, 2013, 7:08 pm

I have been using the blade depth tool, though i assumed the force needed to be high considering the material. I'll definitely try a multi cut with a lower force. Thank you both so much!
likeavirgo

Postby Thyme » June 16th, 2013, 12:08 am

Also keep your speed down, the blade is more likely to snap at high speeds when using thick media
Thyme

Postby Elizabeth » June 16th, 2013, 7:01 am

Cool new photo, Dawn!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby Thyme » June 16th, 2013, 10:10 am

Thank you Elizabeth. Actually its a drawing though
Thyme

Postby Gigi » June 16th, 2013, 10:52 am

Yep - she likes to be incognito!!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Thyme » June 16th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Gigi, it is a drawing of me, so I am not incognito!!!!
Thyme

Postby Elizabeth » June 16th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Wow! I thought you just went wild with Photoshop. If I drew me, it would just be a stick figure with a smiley face. :ROFLMBO:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Postby Thyme » June 16th, 2013, 3:12 pm

I have a drawing app for the ipad, called Procreate and it is very very good to use
Thyme

Postby Angel135612 » June 16th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Even if I had an app, if I tried to draw myself, it would be like Elizabeths, a stick figure with a smiley face. Love to see your creations Dawn, even if it is only a glimpse.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Postby Thyme » June 16th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Thanks Diane
Thyme

Return to General