Pattern cutting garments?

Pattern cutting garments?

Postby mr21 » April 3rd, 2013, 5:29 pm

Hey everyone,

My fiance has her heart set on trying to make her own lingerie. I guess this would be something along the lines of nightgowns, bras, panties, etc.

I'm very new to this field, but I'm just trying to see if it's feasible to cut fabric in such large patterns with something like a Silver Bullet 24. If it's possible to cut these patterns out of fabric/leather/vinyl, what other materials would I need (mat, adhesive, etc.)?

Also, is it possible to remove the adhesive once you put it on the material? The materials would be something like silk, chiffon, powernet nylon, etc. and they can't be starched or backed permanently.

Thanks!
mr21

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Re: Pattern cutting garments?

Postby kmmhug » April 7th, 2013, 12:24 pm

I have not cut a lot of material so I am not an expert, but honestly I do not think it would cut well on stretchy or delicate material especially if it can not be starched or backed with sizing.

I have not cut vinyl or leather, but I have heard of others doing so successfully if it is the soft kind not the super thick hard kind. I would think those being thicker more substantial mediums might cut ok without anything but a mat, but I am not sure. You might contact sherri directly and arrange to send her samples of the materials you are wanting to cut and have her try it out for you.
Kathy
kmmhug

Cutter: Cougar 18" Cameo

Postby LisaH » April 7th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Very smart advice, Kathy!
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby mr21 » April 8th, 2013, 9:45 am

Thank you two! I will see if I can get some samples cut before taking the plunge.
mr21

Cutter: Prospective Buyer

Postby Nensiraul » December 16th, 2015, 9:37 pm

You should try!!
Nensiraul

Cutter: 5241

Postby pigtailpat » December 17th, 2015, 8:26 am

Definitely get samples done with sherri, but there is a good, good chance that to cut this media for clothing (even if it is just smaller items like panties, etc), you will need the larger oversized mat (which is NOT extra sticky). Also consider the extra sticky mat currently in existence will NOT be big enough for the items to be cut in the sizes you will need. You will need to figure out how you will stabilize your media in the size you will need for the oversized mat. I love my cougar (predecessor machine), and the SB is a blast too, but I hesitate to recommend the machine for the purpose you are envisioning. I hate cutting materials from patterns too (which is among the reasons I never took to garment construction), but I would not think of using my cat for cutting fabric from patterns. Too hard and too much work.
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Elizabeth » December 18th, 2015, 10:20 pm

I'm not sure what happened with the original poster, as this goes back to 2013, but I thought I'd chime in with a trick I've used a couple of times recently.

I sometimes draft simple patterns for crafty stuff. It I am going to be making multiples, like the elf slippers I made for my kids and their roommates, I draft the pattern in SCAL, and cut it from poster board with my Bullet. It cuts beautifully, and I get sturdy pattern pieces that I can trace onto my fabric.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
http://shrinkingmimsy.blogspot.com/[/url]

Totally addicted to cutting with my new 24 inch Silver Bullet!
Elizabeth

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Return to General