Print & Cut

Print & Cut

Postby MNPenny » June 9th, 2011, 7:10 am

So how exactly does the print and cut feature work? Can I print any clip art and then cut? Or do I need to do something with the clip art first in SCAL and then cut? I tried to print something in SCAL to my printer one day (following some directions that I found online) and it didn't work - never printed.
MNPenny

Re: Print & Cut

Postby CaseysAngel » June 9th, 2011, 8:14 am

i haven't figured out HOW to do it in SCAL yet. I've even tried designing in MTC and exporting to SCAL and that' doesn't work. I'm thinking with SCAL we might have to print in one software (so we can import texture) then just export the shadow to SCAL to cut. I'm not saying that's right but it's the best I've figured out so far.LOL

Sorry I'm not much help. I'm just now trying to learn SCAL and it definately has a learning curve!!!!!!
CaseysAngel

Postby Thyme » June 9th, 2011, 8:23 am

I think you would need to use something like the hinge method to do print and cut, I don't know of any way to add reg marks in Scal as yet
Thyme

Postby JeannetteC » June 9th, 2011, 8:32 am

I don't have SCAL, but,
Here's an idea for printing from any software then cutting with a different software. Haven't tried it, but I believe it would work in theory.
Create a simple border around your image at a specific size. Like 5"x5".
Send to printer.
Save image with border.
In the cutting software do a trace of the image so that the border picks up as well as the outline of the image.
Resize if necessary so the border is the correct size (original setting when printed).

Now to do the print and cut, you would align the paper on the mat using the border as the guidelines.
You could also make some little test squares inside the border so that you can cut them first, one at a time, to do fine adjustments.
JeannetteC

Postby rachellann » June 9th, 2011, 11:22 am

hi I have Scal the first thing I do is 1. go to file then go down to place image click that then find image you are wanting click on it and it shows up then I go to the trace image on the top bar click it then find the image i just placed on the mat then it show in the window no you just want the outline lower the brighness and the smooth corners preview and get it where you ant it. then click ok this will be on its own layer size it to where it matches the image , then I hide the placed image for a second while i break apart the traced image to get the outline cut because my placed image was a jpg it comes in with a square cut outline not a pnc outline that is what i do the trace. the after breaking the traced image i go to the layers panel and expand that layer and hide the one I want to keep and then select all the ones I want to delete and delete them . then close the eye on that layer and print. now place the printed image on the mat like it shows on you screen set thelaser in 1 1/2 inches from the right, if using a cricut mat it will be 1/12 from the 12 inch mark now hide the print image layer and pen the eye on the traced image layer and begin cut, no offset numbers needed.make sure to have your paper on there straight and that you are exact on the laser placement or it will be off. first few times it might be off til you learn the proper placements but don't give up
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Return to General