Cutting Vinyl

Cutting Vinyl

Postby LynnB » June 3rd, 2011, 7:25 pm

So I'm going to try and play around with some vinyl tonight. I've read through some other posts and I've learned that I should set a low force 25 or 26 and a low velocity. Any suggestions on what number to put the click blade holder on? I did a small project at Christmas on my Cricut and I used 3 there

Thanks

Lynn
LynnB

Re: Cutting Vinyl

Postby CaseysAngel » June 3rd, 2011, 7:26 pm

oh no don't use three with the BC honey. I think I used one when I cut it the few times I did.
CaseysAngel

Postby LynnB » June 3rd, 2011, 7:34 pm

Wow you are fast. Thanks so much.
LynnB

Postby CaseysAngel » June 3rd, 2011, 7:42 pm

you bet
CaseysAngel

Postby LynnB » June 3rd, 2011, 9:58 pm

I think I am doing something wrong. I had to put blade on 2 and force of about 31 to get any cut. Then half the design cut and half didn't. Any ideas or suggestions?
LynnB

Postby LynnB » June 4th, 2011, 12:01 am

Well I finally got a cut. Made some quick glasses for the cabin. Use a relatively cheap cup from Walmart and some leftover vinyl. I wanted to practice as I have some tumblers coming that I want to use to make cups for the girls in the family for our girls weekend. The vinyl bubbled a little bit and the picture is bad, but at least I got the vinyl to cut.

Thanks for everyone's help

Lynn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LynnB

Postby CaseysAngel » June 4th, 2011, 12:24 am

your blade may be in a bit further than mine honey or you may have it lifted higher than I had mine. Many things can affect the number of the click holder you use as well as the blade. Many people use a 45 degree blade for vinyl and I always use a 60 for pretty much everything so that may be the difference as well.

And your cup looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!

oh as for it not cutting in half and cutting the other half make sure you use a brayer so the vinyl is completely flat.
CaseysAngel

Postby Gigi » June 4th, 2011, 12:37 am

That looks great Lynn - great first project!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Gramof8 » June 4th, 2011, 1:07 am

That looks great Lynn. Very nice. I love doing vinyl. I put my click blade on 3 low force and volecity at 100 and got a real nice cut on a small to medium size cut. Real small cuts I have been doing velocity at 50 Force 25 and it came out beautiful. I think all of our machines are different though the same,do you know what I mean?

Bubbles, well I can tell you from experience we all get them at first. You can use a needle and poke the bubble and try not to make the pin hole very large. Then rub gently to the outside. Another thing I do is when pulling the tape from the vinyl I always have it really close to the vinyl when peeling it off , this is hard to explain. What I mean is keep the tape flat and almost on the surface of the vinyl as you peel it off, and peel at an angle. When rubbing or burnishing always go from the center out! I had more bubbles when cutting with the cricut as the cuts were not near as smooth as with the Lynx. The smoother better cuts has help cut down on the bubbling! These are just a few things I have learned since doing vinyl projects. Continued good luck , and I can see you will be making lots of nice tumblers when they arrive. Gram
Gramof8

Postby Thyme » June 4th, 2011, 2:00 am

Looks great Lynn
Thyme

Postby rachellann » June 4th, 2011, 7:43 am

look great and yes each machine and person settings may vary as each has their own way of setting the blade and other things come into the factor but once you know what settings work the best for you make sure to jot them down for future use.
Helping where I can when I can.
Using a 24" Silver Bullet Pro and also have a 18" Cougar
rachellann

Cutter: 18 Cougar, 24"Silver Bullet

Postby JeannetteC » June 4th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Nice cup!
JeannetteC

Postby Trisha » June 4th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Nice project idea, these cups. I sure would like to know where to order some. :)

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Postby LynnB » June 4th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Nice project idea, these cups. I sure would like to know where to order some

I picked up the cups at Walmart. I think they were around 1.50 each. They had a bunch of different colors. They aren't as nice as the double walled tumblers but those were 4.50 and I didn't want to spend that much to play
LynnB

Postby Rosemarie » June 4th, 2011, 9:07 pm

I have one tumbler i purchased recently sitting on my craft table in the corner. I swear it is giving me the evil eye! I haven't tried vinyl yet, in fact, i do more "collecting" and forum browsing than i do cutting. My dd gave my dh an ipad for a birthday/christmas/entire year of gifts present and while he is in work i have been checking out youtube videos on different papercrafting techniques, then I go into the LSS and look at the different punches and put them in my cart and take them back out because i tell myself i can save that money and just cut the flowers and scallop shapes from the E but i can't seem to get up the enthusiasm to set it up to cut. I think i need a crafting buddy.
Rosemarie

Postby sherri » June 4th, 2011, 11:04 pm

That is a GREAT first project! My daughter has a cabin..I need to look into doing some of these for her! :-)
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby veronika44 » June 5th, 2011, 1:10 am

Rosemarie wrote:I have one tumbler i purchased recently sitting on my craft table in the corner. I swear it is giving me the evil eye! I haven't tried vinyl yet, in fact, i do more "collecting" and forum browsing than i do cutting. My dd gave my dh an ipad for a birthday/christmas/entire year of gifts present and while he is in work i have been checking out youtube videos on different papercrafting techniques, then I go into the LSS and look at the different punches and put them in my cart and take them back out because i tell myself i can save that money and just cut the flowers and scallop shapes from the E but i can't seem to get up the enthusiasm to set it up to cut. I think i need a crafting buddy.

I have exactly the same problem...while reading this I thought you were writing this about me....wished you were near me I am in St. Petersburg Fl. lol My tumblers are giving me the evil eye and my Cougar is growling. I have my first order of clear tumblers sitting here and had to place a second because someone said black. Ditto on the punches I do that all the time especially at 40% off. We need a help group!!!
veronika44

Postby Rosemarie » June 5th, 2011, 1:27 am

Funny, Veronika, your cougar growls and my cricut is a silent lump. ;)
I am thinking about getting skype and a headset/mic.
Rosemarie

Postby veronika44 » June 5th, 2011, 1:37 am

I have that but no one to talk with...I have just about everything I have seen but even in the family no one wants to play ...so I play here on MB
veronika44

Postby Trisha » June 5th, 2011, 7:34 am

Veronika and Rosemarie, I was exactly where you are a couple of years ago. Really STUCK there!! There's nobody around me, either, and I sometimes still feel isolated craft-wise. Then, I thought, Hey I have the freedom to do whatever I want and nobody to tell me I can't or shouldn't! For some reason, something clicked, and I wanted to do something. Didn't know what, but something!
My first thing was a simple one-word title for a scrapbook page. Then a card embellishment. Then vinyl. Then I took off like a shot!! So much fun!! I couldn't cut fast enough to keep up with the ideas in my head.
Really, just take a deep breath, set aside a whole day if you need to, and go in your craft space, and cut something. Anything. It will inspire you, I promise, and you will do more. (BTW, vinyl is super easy once you do it. You'll love it.) Hey, who's to say you two can't encourage one another via this forum. There's plenty of inspiration. If I can do it, anybody can. Really.

Trisha
In God We STILL Trust
Trisha

Return to General