Cutting extra "square" around design ...

Cutting extra "square" around design ...

Postby Angel135612 » November 5th, 2011, 8:53 am

I don't cut things out very often, but I think I have gotten to the point where I can figure out what settings to use to get a good cut. I cut some vinyl out just before we went on vacation for some glitter ornaments I made for someone at work. Yesterday, I was cutting out the Stamp Card pieces from the new SVGCuts free set with purchase, and I could not for the life of me figure out why I was getting a square cut around my designs. I looked at the file in Inkscape, couldn't see any extra nodes (other than the one they put in their files to make it easier to resize everything the same size) and I was getting it with any file. I even opened the file in MTC to see if I could see if there was something extra in the file. I couldn't find anything, so I keep cutting, thinking it isn't wasting that much paper, so I will deal with it the next day. Well this morning I wake up, and while I was getting the coffee ready, it dawned on me!!! I forgot to turn off the weeding square for the vinyl DUH!!!! I have bonded with my Cougar... now I just need to bond with Signcut... LOL I suppose if I actually cut things out more often, I would remember simple things like that... :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: I will finish the cards later today.. and will remember to turn off the weeding square before I start to cut today. :D
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Re: Cutting extra "square" around design ...

Postby Thyme » November 5th, 2011, 9:15 am

But you did remember!
Thyme

Postby kathybessey » November 5th, 2011, 2:51 pm

I am laughing with you Diane because I have done similar things! Like Dawn said, you remembered!
kathybessey

Postby Angel135612 » November 5th, 2011, 3:06 pm

When I went to cut out the rest of my pieces today, I couldn't remember where the tick box was for the weeding square... I had to look 2 to 3 times on the settings box, before I actually SAW it. LOL (I will probably forget where it is again the next time I need to cut out some vinyl... :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: )

I did get two of the cards finished today. The first one I guled the beard, moustache and eyebrows and put flocking on them last night. This morning I glued and glittered the ball and brim of the hat. The next one I just used my Cuttlebug and embossed the beard, ball and brim and left the eyebrows and moustache plain, (although I did add a little ink to the edges to give it some dimension). The embossed one was much easier and faster to put together, and not as "heavy" as the flocked one.

I didn't use brads in the corners like the picture from SVGCuts, because I didn't have any nor did I have any twine to wrap around them, so I just put little drops of the Viva Decor Pens in red in the four corners.

I think the card base will be really cute for many different types of cards... and I am going to work on some ideas for Thank You cards. I will take some pictures later today or tomorrow, after the Viva Decor stuff dries. (I already messed up one corner, and had to wipe it off and put another drop there... you can see it.. but that will just be my "keeper" so I can see what I have made).
Angel135612

Postby Angel135612 » November 5th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Well, this was odd. I needed to cut out one more piece of my cards, so I exported it into Signcut, as normal, and rotated it 90 degrees. When I cut, it only cut 3 of the 4 sides. When the design (It was just a rectangle with 4 small holes in the corners) is left as brought into Signcut, it cut all four sides, but when rotated it dropped one side. Even on the preview it shows one side missing after rotating,but all four sides there when not rotated. I have never had this happen before... but will start to check the preview before cutting from now on, when I rotate something.
Angel135612

Postby kathybessey » November 5th, 2011, 4:30 pm

How strange! I can't wait to see pictures of the card you are making!! I am working on my Winter ATC's right now but have to get started on some cards very soon!
kathybessey

Postby Barbara » November 5th, 2011, 7:14 pm

This sometimes happens in Inkscape. I thought it was me. The answer is to put a small line or rectangle in a different color above the line but don't cut it. I usually don't bother and cut it by hand. It seems to be random when it does it.
Barbara
Barbara

Postby Tyler » November 6th, 2011, 7:53 am

Make make sure it isn't trying to tile the image - that could most certainly be the cause, though I don't know how big you are trying to cut.
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Return to General