Bazzil- what is the secret?

Re: Bazzil- what is the secret?

Postby sherri » November 1st, 2011, 7:55 pm

Phyllis wrote:Sherri, thanks so much for your info. So do you not recommend cutting grunge board?

Oh no...you can cut it just know that while it is dragging thru the grunge board it is doing a number on your blade. I could not cut grunge at all with a competitor's blade. So cut away but be aware you will replace your blade more often. :-)

Today I put in a new Cougar 45 blade and it did a much better job on the QK vinyl so I'm sticking with that blade for vinyl.

I ALWAYS keep a 45 degree blade separate for my vinyl..it is the easiest thing to cut but I also have always worked with Oracle vinyl which I feel has the best shelf life and cuts the best.

I will also watch more carefully when removing the holder. I take it out once in a while to make sure there's no paper residue hanging in there.

Both good things to watch for.

I did just order 3 new blades from you and they look a little different than the old ones, is this a correct observation?

Yes, the blades can look different. I have many, many times called Dawn whining that they MUST be different...LOL The ONLY thing that has to be the same is the slant of the blade...but it still puts me off sometimes and I still call her just to make sure...she has stopped laughing at me now.
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby sherri » November 1st, 2011, 7:57 pm

granlin wrote:Thanks Sherri: I really think now that my Cougar and I have made friends that my blades are lasting longer and I am sure that will improve! Here is what I found out about me cutting the bazzill. I was using the glick blade holder and not doing the thing with the CD and no matter what I did it was a mess. So I thought someone had told me you still need to use the CD so I tried it and cut Bazzill for 3 hours. I may have dreamed that I needed the CD but whatever it worked! Sometimes these blonde senior moments get in my way but at least I am getting somewhere with my cuttimg. This group of people are the best. You and Rachellanne have been helpful when I call as well as every member of this board. I am Blessed.

Linda

I am VERY happy to hear you have made friends with your Cougar....I am also happy to see you got the bazzill to cut..it is great paper but can be a bit tough! We consider ourselves lucky to have all of you as customers...but thank you! And Rach is a gem!
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby sherri » November 1st, 2011, 8:02 pm

kim wrote:I have been using the same blades (45 and 60 degree ones) since I got my machine back in May, but I did have to change the blade after I cut a reflective vinyl. I still have the blade for when I cut more reflective vinyl, but for all other stuff I am using a new blade. The reflective vinyl has, from what I understand, little glass beads or something and it does have a warning on it somewhere that it will dull your blade.

The problem I have is with the detail blades....that little spring gets lost so easily. Be careful, be VERY careful, when getting that spring out of the package and trying to put it in the holder. Best thing to do is to put a towel down and work over it.

Oh yes...the reflective vinyl.... is actually metal in the vinyl and it will shred your blades! But it is fun to play with that stuff! Great idea Kim..I do the same...keep blades that I know I have damaged with a particular material in a baggie and mark it until the next time I use it and then pull it out. Yes, regarding the spring. I also have a white piece of fabric with a bit of nap in my tool box and I ALWAYS lay it down when I change my blades no matter which blade it is and if it goes rolling it will not go far....but they are tricky!
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby sherri » November 1st, 2011, 8:03 pm

kim wrote:Yeah, those little suckers are tricky!!

And, by the way, I cut Bazzill all the time. The only time I have had a problem with it is when the weather gets really humid around here. I have a ton of Bazzill and only started using the WorldWin papers, which I love!! I love Bazzill and their wide range of colors, but I do have to say that the WorldWin cuts alot better.

Kim you and I are on the same page...these are my two " go to" papers as well and yes, to the humidity..very frustrating!
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Phyllis » November 1st, 2011, 9:34 pm

sherri wrote:Oh yes...the reflective vinyl.... is actually metal in the vinyl and it will shred your blades!

This is not the same as "glossy" vinyl is it.
Phyllis

Postby Tyler » November 1st, 2011, 9:50 pm

No - it is different. If it is reflective, you'll know it!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby CaseysAngel » November 1st, 2011, 10:46 pm

I don't have time to read through all the post but I cut bazzill all the time. Forgive me if I repeat.

I usually cut anymore with the 45 degree blades, sticky mat, force on 72 , and FLIP the bazzill texture side down and mirror image. Works great everytime for me.
CaseysAngel

Postby Suzan » November 1st, 2011, 10:49 pm

I always cut with the texture side down, my settings are different than Christy's but everyone's settings are always different.

Never thought of mirroring the image though Duhrr on me.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby kim » November 1st, 2011, 10:49 pm

Reflective vinyl is like the stuff that some runners use to reflect light when it shines on the material. Or some of those alpha/number decals that you buy at the store. I used it to cut a design and house number for my mailbox. It's great stuff, but a lot tougher to cut than regular vinyl and will ruin your blade. It has a very rubbery feel to it and it took me a while to get it to cut correctly, very unlike your normal vinyl.

I bought it "just because" of the cool factor and figured DH would want to do something with it. Instead I ended up using it. I just ordered some more for DH.

Thanks Tyler for knowing what is in the stuff...LOL....I knew it was something not normal and destructive to my blade! Thankfully, I knew beforehand so made sure I had another blade. It would have been a really bad day if it had been my only blade.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby CaseysAngel » November 1st, 2011, 10:51 pm

Suzan wrote:I always cut with the texture side down, my settings are different than Christy's but everyone's settings are always different.

Never thought of mirroring the image though Duhrr on me.

You don't have to mirror I just like the texture side UP on my crafts is the only reason I mirror.
CaseysAngel

Postby Suzan » November 1st, 2011, 10:51 pm

Me too that is why the Bazzill. But I never thought to mirror it. Blonde moment. Hey great to see you here also. I miss you.
Suzan

Suzan

Postby kim » November 1st, 2011, 10:53 pm

I am not a blonde, but am getting gray....does that count as "blonde" for those blonde moments?
kim

Postby Suzan » November 1st, 2011, 10:55 pm

Me too Kim, I think they are worse. Nothing like turning 51 this month and your 22 year old telling you, you are getting senile. LOL
Suzan

Suzan

Postby kim » November 1st, 2011, 11:11 pm

Let me think how old I am....I am already 51! DS is 16 and constantly asking me if they had ....... when I was growing up. You know, things like telephones, cars, etc. When he was really little, he asked me if we had cars and I told him, yes but we had to use our feet to move them like on the Flintstones. He believed me for about five minutes!
kim

Postby pigtailpat » November 2nd, 2011, 6:05 pm

I'm 51 and lost my mind years ago......

Insofar as Bazzill is concerned, can't stand the way it cuts, looks or feels. The only thing going for it is that if you're in a sticky jam, it's easily to get **something** at the store, in a way we can't get worldwin so readily.

I am SOO dying to get to the store to get some graphic 45 paper, now that is stuff I have been trying to see how it cuts. I have been very MIA lately as old singer machines have been falling in my lap, and I am doing some cleaning and restoration of them in my spare time.

Pat
New owner of an 18" cougar and the gazelle...still a newbie at the cougar and will soon explore it............
pigtailpat

Postby Tyler » November 2nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

Do people use letter sized paper for cutting or only 12x12?
Tyler

Postby LisaH » November 2nd, 2011, 7:05 pm

Tyler, I use both
LisaH

Cutter: 24" SB Pro

Postby Gigi » November 2nd, 2011, 9:03 pm

Tyler - most of the time I use letter size - but sometimes use 12x12 if I need a larger image or a lot of something. Most of my "plain" paper (World Win) is letter size.
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Phyllis » November 2nd, 2011, 9:22 pm

I mostly use letter size, it fits well on my mat between the rollers. I don't like the rollers rolling over my cuts. Actually, I put painters tape on my mat where the rollers roll over and place the paper in between the tape. Another reason, I have run out of room for 12x12 storage. OK, a little more info than you asked for, LOL
Phyllis

Postby Tyler » November 2nd, 2011, 9:33 pm

No - I appreciate the info! Keep it coming
Tyler

PreviousNext

Return to General