Bazzil- what is the secret?

Bazzil- what is the secret?

Postby granlin » October 29th, 2011, 9:04 pm

I could not believe how much Bazzil cardstock I found in my stash today. Turns out 3/4 of my stock is Bazzil. :banghead:

I have tried the 60 degree blade and if I go beyond 4 on the blade holder then I get drag marks. I can use it in my Big Shot with my Spellbinders but I need paper for the Cougar. It is a shame we have to seperate out cardstock. Also in this frustrating day I found white core colornated and what a mess! Any help you can give me would be great. While I was waiting for my Cougar to come I took in a few sales on this paper because the stampers swear by it. (did I mention that I just love a sale????)

Thanks,
granlin

Cutter: BlackCat 13" Cougar

Re: Bazzil- what is the secret?

Postby Phyllis » October 29th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Granlin, I've heard people on here swear by Bazzil for use with the Cougar, I don't have much of that but do have American Craft that I got at HL and it works great. I don't like white core card stock either. I'm also using the original blade holder so don't have a clue on the click holder.
Phyllis

Postby granlin » October 29th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Thanks Phyllis. It has been quite a day. I waisted a lot of paper so tomorrow I am going to sort it out from all the colors and if I do not here of a miracle I will have to wait to buy more World Win. What a waste!
granlin

Postby HappyCrafter » October 29th, 2011, 10:28 pm

Granlin - What force are you using? My personal experience with Bazzill that I cannot use a force more than 80 or it tears the Bazzill to pieces.
HappyCrafter

Postby granlin » October 29th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Thanks, I will try tomorrow because I am to tired from butting my head tonight!
granlin

Postby pggooch » October 30th, 2011, 3:25 am

I find I get better results using a 45 degree blade even though its fairly heavy cardstock - same with the American Crafts Cardstock.
pggooch

Postby Tyler » October 30th, 2011, 7:27 am

It is one of three things. I put them in an order that I see is most common. Nothing official here, just from what I've seen.

1. Not sticky enough mat.
2. Dull or chipped blade. Try replacing it with a 45 degree
3. Your force is too high, which could lead more to number 2.

You could also try lowering your force and doing two passes. That would lower the strain on the paper and keep it from tearing. That has worked for me on even the toughest of papers.

Hope that helps!
Tyler

Cutter: Silver Bullet 13"

Postby Phyllis » October 30th, 2011, 11:09 am

I wish they would make a blade that would hold up a little better and not dull or chip with only a little variation in the pressure. I understand extreme variations but this machine is made for a lot of pressure but only as much as the blade will hold up? Am I being unrealistic?
Phyllis

Postby granlin » October 30th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Well I did it! I cut one of Paulo's doilies and cut it twice on 2 blade 65V and 85F. I tried to use the repeat button on the Cougar but it did not do anything?????????????? But since I was using the laser I just ran it again. I do like the WorldWin paper though so let us know Tyler when and how we can get some. Phyllis I agree with you. I wish the blades lasted longer also.

Thanks everyone. What a nice group
granlin

Postby Tyler » October 30th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Glad you got it to cut well! I have worldwin available, and am happy to sell it. Because the shipping is higher due to its 12x12 size, it requires shipping to be a couple dollars extra than what is listed at the store. ($11 shipping instead of $7) Because of that difference, it is not listed at the store. Alternatively, if you would like a colormates set (5 or 10 sheets/color), I can do that too and will pay for shipping. That is I have and it is my favorite thing - I am never needing a color because it is all right there. I can't tell you how nice it is to have a set of a good cutting paper, compared to the assortment of various brands, colors, weights, etc that I had before...

If you would like some, please get in contact with me and I am happy to help! Maybe if I move into 8.5x11 size, it will be something I could list at the store since shipping would be easier...
Tyler

Postby Gigi » October 30th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Phyllis wrote:I wish they would make a blade that would hold up a little better and not dull or chip with only a little variation in the pressure. I understand extreme variations but this machine is made for a lot of pressure but only as much as the blade will hold up? Am I being unrealistic?

My blades seem to last forever, most of the time, so I am not sure some are having trouble. And I cut a variety of weights but not much chipboard. Mine usually last months....... but then I am not cutting every day either!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Phyllis » October 30th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Gigi, I do know the Cougar blades are the very best out there but I think I dulled one last week cutting grunge paper and this stuff is pretty easy to cut. I had to go way high on the pressure, like almost 200 to get it to cut, it really scared me to go that high but it did cut out well once I got it to cut. Just for curiosity I ran the pressure to 250 and that was the limit on the pressure. I didn't cut at that pressure but I thought it would go to 900, where does the 900 come into play? I have only cut paper up until recently and everything was cutting great with card stock. I guess I would just like to push it to the limit, LOL. I do use my Cougar almost every day.
Phyllis

Postby Tyler » October 30th, 2011, 4:50 pm

255 is the highest the machine will go (at least 900g) 1 is the lowest it will go. The numbers do not represent amount of grams but are rather a scale inbetween, if that makes sense.
Tyler

Postby Phyllis » October 30th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Thanks Tyler, I did not know that. I'm just afraid to cut anything more than card stock and vinyl (my new passion) any more.
Phyllis

Postby sherri » October 30th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Phyllis wrote:Thanks Tyler, I did not know that. I'm just afraid to cut anything more than card stock and vinyl (my new passion) any more.

Phyllis...PLEASE do not be afraid it o cut more than paper and vinyl.....I have hundreds of people cutting many different mediums. I also get rave reviews from everyone on how long our blades last. We meant it to be that way. I am not sure what the deal is with yours wearing out so easy from grunge..but if it is Tim Holtz gungeBOARD I am not surprised. Anytime you step outside of paper, card stock, vinyl and fabric to name a few... it is much more difficult for the blade to move thru the material. If we have no idea what the make up is of the material that blade can be fighting an uphill battle. It is the same with chipboard. There are some that are a very crisp chipboards that have been compressed with no fiber in them
and they cut beautifully and the blade has no trouble getting thru. It is the same if you try to cut card stock or paper that has ANY metal flake or "glitter" in it. The blade must push thru all of that and it drags thru causing the blade to work harder. Last spring I cut over 3,000 pieces of chipboard..it was a very good chipboard but none the less it was chipboard. I used a 60 degree blade and only changed it once....that is unheard of with some of the blades coming out of China. We have a lot of customers that are running the machines all day long and they swear by our blades. They could buy blades cheaper else where but they would be changing them way more often and the cost savings would be lost besides the time it takes to keep changing blades. One of these companies cuts plastic templates all day long and run several of our machines at one time. The blades have a VERY fragile tip as many of you, including myself have found out by dropping them or banging them accidently while trying to insert the blade holder.

Regarding bazzill paper, I was at a retreat showing he machine last weekend. I cut a LOT of bazzill..but i too found lower the pressure and slow down the cut. Due to how heavy it is you must also make sure the amt is very sticky. The more you cut it the more comfortable you will be. It is very frustrating to try over and over again to cut a certain material only to feel like you cannot do it. I will generally tell people if it will cut chipboard, it will cut paper. I had trouble with BLACK bazzill as with all really saturated papers but once I jumped to a 45 degree blade and turned down the pressure it went very smoothly.....the best thing you can do is use the same piece of paper and cut over and over again on that same paper using different settings, speeds and try a 45 degree blade until you get it. I even got up and walked away at one point I got so frustrated....but when I went back I had a fresh out look and changed things a bit to get it to cut. I KNOW it will do it..just keep practicing. i LOVE, LOVE,LOVE American Craft paper..even more than Bazzill...and ti cuts way better but gives me the same look. My go to paper of course is and always will be World Win...it never lets me down.
Sherri Jensen
That's Scrap, Inc.
sherri

Postby Phyllis » October 30th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Sherri, thanks so much for your info. And, Yes it was Tim Holtz grunge board. It was the blade I had been using for a long time, 60 degree, so there could have already been some wear on it and this just finished it off, it definitely is blunted after checking it with my 10 way mirror. So do you not recommend cutting grunge board? It is, however still cutting my wall pops vinyl but not the Quik Kutz Silhouette vinyl, I blamed the vinyl on that, I still don't like their vinyl. Today I put in a new Cougar 45 blade and it did a much better job on the QK vinyl so I'm sticking with that blade for vinyl. I will also watch more carefully when removing the holder. I take it out once in a while to make sure there's no paper residue hanging in there. I can't be absolutely positive that I didn't bang it while replacing it, but I believe now it had to be the grunge board. I did just order 3 new blades from you and they look a little different than the old ones, is this a correct observation?
Phyllis

Postby granlin » October 31st, 2011, 4:50 pm

Thanks Sherri: I really think now that my Cougar and I have made friends that my blades are lasting longer and I am sure that will improve! Here is what I found out about me cutting the bazzill. I was using the glick blade holder and not doing the thing with the CD and no matter what I did it was a mess. So I thought someone had told me you still need to use the CD so I tried it and cut Bazzill for 3 hours. I may have dreamed that I needed the CD but whatever it worked! Sometimes these blonde senior moments get in my way but at least I am getting somewhere with my cuttimg. This group of people are the best. You and Rachellanne have been helpful when I call as well as every member of this board. I am Blessed.

Linda
granlin

Postby kim » October 31st, 2011, 11:15 pm

I have been using the same blades (45 and 60 degree ones) since I got my machine back in May, but I did have to change the blade after I cut a reflective vinyl. I still have the blade for when I cut more reflective vinyl, but for all other stuff I am using a new blade. The reflective vinyl has, from what I understand, little glass beads or something and it does have a warning on it somewhere that it will dull your blade.

The problem I have is with the detail blades....that little spring gets lost so easily. Be careful, be VERY careful, when getting that spring out of the package and trying to put it in the holder. Best thing to do is to put a towel down and work over it.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Thyme » November 1st, 2011, 4:36 am

And when you buy a new detail blade keep the spring from the old one as a spare!
Thyme

Postby kim » November 1st, 2011, 10:24 am

Yeah, those little suckers are tricky!!

And, by the way, I cut Bazzill all the time. The only time I have had a problem with it is when the weather gets really humid around here. I have a ton of Bazzill and only started using the WorldWin papers, which I love!! I love Bazzill and their wide range of colors, but I do have to say that the WorldWin cuts alot better.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Next

Return to General