Alcohol Inks UG..

Alcohol Inks UG..

Postby Gramof8 » October 27th, 2011, 6:54 pm

After spending an arm and a leg on Tim Holtz Alcohol inks, I am not liking them very much. I wanted to ink a glass block and can not get the ink even. the pads do not fit my dabber and leave marks. I used the solution to lighten them and still did not turn out well.

I want to color the blocks them etch the color out . I have done several blocks with lights and they just do not show up well. I am using the one bulb light and it is plenty bright. I have even tried to use the colored bulbs, red and blue and still do not think it shows up well.

Any help or suggestions with use of ink would be well accepted and appreciated!!

Thanks Gram
Gramof8

Re: Alcohol Inks UG..

Postby Phyllis » October 27th, 2011, 8:03 pm

I have not tried the alcohol inks on glass but did try them on clear plastic and they were light on that too but I was placing them on light colored card stock so they were OK like that. I can see how they would not show up very well on glass.
Phyllis

Postby Retta » October 27th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I would think the inks would be more clear. I know that the donna Dewberry paints are also more translucent, unless white is in the paint. I'm not sure if the distress stains would be darker as they are suppose to be?
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gramof8 » October 27th, 2011, 11:06 pm

I do not know Retta, but what I do know is i am very disappointed in them. I even did an ornament and it did not turn out nice at all. I may not know how to use them properly. I am going to visit his website and look for more tutorials. Gram
Gramof8

Postby kate3 » October 28th, 2011, 2:45 am

Gram, Tim has a lot of video's on You Tube. You could try there.
kate3

Postby Gramof8 » October 28th, 2011, 8:48 am

Thanks kate. I have watched a few but haven't found any to answer my question. I did see a site where the gal put the inks inside her jars mixed with the solution and it seemed to work a little. I may try it on something today. I just want my glass block designs to show up better. They do look neat in the day , but at night with the light they lose something. Any ideas folks?
Gramof8

Postby kathybessey » October 28th, 2011, 9:54 am

Gram, I have been using the alcohol inks on glass blocks for a little while. I have not been able to "paint" the alcohol inks on in a smooth even look but what I do is use a couple of different colors and use the dabber to "swirl" them together. I just keep adding and dabbing until I get a nice "texture" that I like. I also use the single bulb in my blocks and they light up the block pretty nicely after the inks have dried.

Here are a couple of pictures of some blocks I have done with this method.
buggy nightlight.jpg

20110731163801.jpg

sweetdreams block.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kathybessey

Postby Gigi » October 28th, 2011, 11:49 am

Kathy-

Those are beautiful. I love the Sweet Dreams block!
Silver Bullet Admin/Tech Support

Happily using an 24" Silver Bullet Platinum

Gigi
Gigi

Cutter: 18" Silver Bullet Pro, Foilmaster

Postby Retta » October 28th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Kathy - forgot to tell you - those look great!
Retta

Cutter: 13" Cat CS4/Inkscape signcut

Postby Gramof8 » October 30th, 2011, 7:57 am

Kathy. Looks like you have the inks mastered. They look great!! I will try to do another one. Looks like you stay in the same color family when using different inks. I just want them to show a nice color and the vinyl work. Right now they look great in the day , but the light does not illuminate them enough at night, you can not make out the graphic and what it says! Thank you for the pictures, they always help!
Gramof8

Postby corwins » October 30th, 2011, 8:31 am

I have tried the alcohol inks and I don't like them. I think it is just me not using them correctly but I have seen some gorgeous things using them. Just not for me.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt by the heart. Helen Keller

http://www.mycardspot.blogspot.com
corwins

Cutter: Black Cat Cougar 13"

Postby Suzan » October 31st, 2011, 1:55 pm

I felt the same way about pens and pencils till I finally started learning how to use them LOL. Still don't know how I feel about it all. Just another learning adventure.
Suzan
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart!

http://www.simplycustomforyou.com
Suzan

Cutter: 13" Cougar 15" Silver Bullet

Postby Phyllis » October 31st, 2011, 3:10 pm

My problem with alcohol inks and a lot of other things is that I just dabble in it but not enough to become knowledgeable enough to help anyone. I really need to become an expert at something, LOL.
Phyllis

Postby kathybessey » November 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm

I am far from an expert but can show others what has worked for me --- or better yet what hasn't LOL.

Gram I forgot to ask you what you put inside your blocks besides the light. That may have an impact as well. I have tried several different things and found that one thing works the best for me. Now the hard part, I am out of it right now and have no clue what it is called LOL so I will try to explain it. It comes in a small bag and when you pull some out it reminds me of Easter grass -- so much in a tiny package LOL. It comes in various colors but I like the sparkly white the best. It reminds me of a cross between tinsel and angel hair - not as thick as tinsel and not as thin as angel hair,. Does that make sense? LOL Anyway, it is iridescent so it helps to reflect the light in the block (man that was bad, trying to describe this stuff!)
kathybessey

Postby kim » November 1st, 2011, 11:15 pm

WOW, Kathy, those look great. I haven't gotten my inks look that good. I guess I will have to try them some more.
Mommy to a Silver Bullet 24" , a Black Cat Cougar 24" AND a Foil Master!
kim

Cutter: SB 24" and BC 24"

Postby Gigi » November 2nd, 2011, 1:16 am

kathybessey wrote:I am far from an expert but can show others what has worked for me --- or better yet what hasn't LOL.

Gram I forgot to ask you what you put inside your blocks besides the light. That may have an impact as well. I have tried several different things and found that one thing works the best for me. Now the hard part, I am out of it right now and have no clue what it is called LOL so I will try to explain it. It comes in a small bag and when you pull some out it reminds me of Easter grass -- so much in a tiny package LOL. It comes in various colors but I like the sparkly white the best. It reminds me of a cross between tinsel and angel hair - not as thick as tinsel and not as thin as angel hair,. Does that make sense? LOL Anyway, it is iridescent so it helps to reflect the light in the block (man that was bad, trying to describe this stuff!)

Kathy - are you talking about the Angelina fibers or the gossamer fibers (they have a lot of different names depending on the company)? The same fibers that you can fuse together with heat?? Your description matches what I have but am not sure that is what you mean!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » November 2nd, 2011, 9:55 am

Gigi, I was thinking the same thing. By the description it sounds alot like Angelina fibers... and they would look great like that. May have to try it myself.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » November 2nd, 2011, 10:11 am

I would never have thought to use them that way - but then again apparently I never think to use them as they are still in the original packaging and I won't say how long that has been! :hide: :banghead: One more thing to USE - what a concept!!

Gigi
Gigi

Postby Angel135612 » November 2nd, 2011, 12:42 pm

:ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: :ROFLMBO: I agree... I won't tell you how many colors I have and never used yet....need to get them out and start using them.
Diane in Colorado Springs
The best angle from which to approach any problem is the try-angle.
Angel135612

Cutter: 24" Silver Bullet

Postby Gigi » November 2nd, 2011, 2:14 pm

Sounds like we are in the same boat! Guess it's time for us to get those darned things out and create something!!

Gigi
Gigi

Next

Return to General